Got my own small engine mystery - Club Car Carryall

I bought this Club Car Carryall a few years back so mom could use it to get around the farm a bit. It's been horribly unreliable.

When I bought it, it would run if you choked it and ran fine once warmed up.

It ran for a few years like that, then lost spark. Youtube told me 100% it was the ignitor and the rev limtier, so I replaced those. Nothing.

Gotta be the coil, so I got a coil. Changing that was an experience I don't ever want to repeat. You have to completely disassemble the entire cart to replace the coil properly, or you bend the fan shroud enough to squeeze your hand in there. There are permanent scars on my hand from that job. Coil was rusty and delaminating, so it was bad.

Now it has spark. VROOM! Ran like never before. Problem solved!

Then after a couple laps of the yard, it quit. Needed choke, lots of choke to run. All the time.

Okay fuel supply. I replaced the 20 year old fuel pump, fuel filter and lines first. VROOM! Ran like a top. For two laps around the yard, then it needed choke, lots of choke, all the time.

Got a new carburetor. Put that on this spring. VROOM! Ran like a top. For two days. Then it quit in the middle of the front lawn and would not start for my mom.

Found a loose battery connection. Fixed that. VROOM! Ran like a top. For two laps around the yard. Then it quit on me. Now it only runs intermittently, choke does not make a difference.

Battery connections are still okay so I am at a loss. Mom is ready to park it in the front lawn with "STEAL ME" on the window. I'm ready to push it off into the ravine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The vacuum line for the fuel pump !  Replace it .  Mine had a small hole in it once causing issues.  Also. it got engine oil in it once causing issues. 

• Like 1

Had a Yamaha that would pinch the fuel line when you lowered the seat over the engine compartment.  Did the same thing.  Fuel line reroute.....all good.

Had an early 90's  cub cadet riding lawn mower that had so many issues I gave it away for $1. AND helped loading it in a Chevy pickup. I gave the new owner  his $1. back.  Looking after a few years,  it really wasn't that bad I just got tired of constant issues.

9 hours ago, Buddy said:

The vacuum line for the fuel pump !  Replace it .  Mine had a small hole in it once causing issues.  Also. it got engine oil in it once causing issues. 

I’ve seen that before also where engine oil gets into the vacuum cavity on those pulse fuel pumps and then they quit pumping enough fuel to run right.  Everything looks fine but you take them apart and there is a 1/2 teaspoon of oil in there. Clean it out and all is back to normal. 

Your dilemma reminded me of a car my old man had in 1948/1949, a 1937 Hudson terraplane, he was forever have problems with the electrics, finally dumped it and bought a brand new skoda, (don’t ask me why, I was two) but sometime in the 70s him and his wife were at a function and he was talking with someone about old cars, now the old man was never an aficionado of vehicles, if it runs fine, dat was all, wash once a month and change the oil, but he mentioned this old Hudson and the electrical problems, right away the guy says, “oh ya the high tension lead, always a problem just needed a thicker wire” well he even laffed at that, I guess the 25 year span cooled him down.

The battery in it seemed pretty weak so I put a new one in. Still wouldn't start.

Pulled the spark plug. Got good spark, but plug has a little carbon on it, but is dry as a popcorn fart.

Pulled the fuel line off the carb and hit the pedal, fuel shoots out with good volume and pressure, so the pump is ok. All fuel lines including the impulse line are new.

Eventually I managed to get it running.  Just choked the living bejeezus out of it and eventually it started popping and ran. 

Definitely a fuel problem but I'm at a loss. How can a carb go bad in less than an hour of runtime with a brand new fuel filter that is perfectly clean?

10 hours ago, Doc Egor said:

Tight or burned valve(s) possibly.

Worth pulling the rocker arm cover and checking clearances.

Sorry, two strokes use reed valves and are not adjustable.

Yeah I was going to say I have never ran a 2 stroke cart while golfing.  Now a 250cc 2 stroke in one would be fun 

Matt.  Drain fuel and replace with ethanol free fuel.  Check that vacuum line they speak of.

Fwiw my irrigation reels Honda engines are unreliable piles of crap..... IF you use normal crap gas.  We went to ethanol free and no joking nearly 0 issues.  They would get a jelly/rust weekly in float bowls ans had to run choke to get anything going.  No ethanol...no more of that.

Frustrating 

8 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Sorry, two strokes use reed valves and are not adjustable.

It's a four stroke. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Problem is it acts OPPOSITE of a burned valve. Won't start cold but if you can get it running it'll run for quite a while. Burned valves start normal and then quit when they warm up.

I have a club car cart with a Kawasaki and I am having trouble with it when I stop the engine runs backwads like it is dieseling . What could be causing this?

Any body have any idea ?  thanks  JACK