1086 mcv pump

Hey guys just cleaning up this pump that the nut come off, got the new key and new nut with a touch of locktight installed with a little impact gun. Just wondering how hard it is supposed to be to turn the pump over by hand? I can’t turn it, i carefully put some channel locks on it with a rag and it moved a tiny bit and i called it quits. I don’t want to wreck it but also don’t want to put it back in if it’s seized. 
anybody ever try and turn one over?? (Im sure those that have had one out have tried)

thank you for your feedback

7 hours ago, England806 said:

With the gear on you should’ve able to turn it by hand. There will be some resistance but it should turn smoothly. 

Opened up the pump and there was a ridge cut into the housing on both gears keeping them from turning. Im guessing this a sign its worn out but i carefully cleaned up the ridges and put it back together. The bushings seem tight and seems like it’s working ok. I think im gonna go for it and hope for the best. This tractor only sees about 20 hrs a year so maybe it will go 10 more years lol

Thank you for the reply England806,

5 minutes ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

It is shot. I would suggest replacement as it may not flow enough pressure to keep t.a. and lube flow up. 

Thanks MF, i guess i should get a new one, the HD version im guessing?

If the lube pressure is good I would run the pump the lube pressure comes from the retune of the power steering not the base flow of the pump no matter how big of pump you put in there the regulated lube gallons is not more than the orfice size which I think is 5 gallons on an 86 series tractor.

1 hour ago, R190 said:

If the lube pressure is good I would run the pump the lube pressure comes from the retune of the power steering not the base flow of the pump no matter how big of pump you put in there the regulated lube gallons is not more than the orfice size which I think is 5 gallons on an 86 series tractor.

That is true, but if it can not pump enough gpm, then it won't have any, or enough to keep up with demands. Way easier and cheaper to do it once, save the t.a. and not have to worry about where the metal is going once this pump fails, indefinitely, not if it fails.

when I originally read his post and he said he put it back together  I took it as he already had it back in the tractor . If its still on the bench and just  put together I would just replace the pump.

3 hours ago, R190 said:

when I originally read his post and he said he put it back together  I took it as he already had it back in the tractor . If its still on the bench and just  put together I would just replace the pump.

Not on the tractor just on the bench, thats where i tried the pump and it was jammed up.

I ordered one from Bates corp, they gonna send it out next week, was cheaper than hy-capacity and i have used them before. I don’t see how to order from hy-capacit unless your corporate? No dealers around me that i can see.

Thanks for all the discussion bothers, I appreciate you all

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got er back together, new pump from Bates and so far so good.

Thanks all, much appreciated

• Like 1