Jump to content

Bought another red power 1486


Recommended Posts

Looking at local John Deere dealer website and they had a red power 1486 listed. Went out asked about it was still on the farm yet not available until sept. His tractor a blue new holland 70 series is not getting to him until that owners new jd arrives. This looks to be fair shape is in the 19000 serial range so for a 1486 is the right area for red power special. It is 500 serial no’s later than our other 1486 red power. This one has branding iron decals , circular decals and turbo stickers which I didn’t look if dealer installed at same time or owner did later. This is equipped with all the red power add ones but no door hand rails. I thought I could get a picture off website but they took it down already. My plan is to clean it up and sell it when I get it probably will even advertise it before I get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Looking at local John Deere dealer website and they had a red power 1486 listed. Went out asked about it was still on the farm yet not available until sept. His tractor a blue new holland 70 series is not getting to him until that owners new jd arrives. This looks to be fair shape is in the 19000 serial range so for a 1486 is the right area for red power special. It is 500 serial no’s later than our other 1486 red power. This one has branding iron decals , circular decals and turbo stickers which I didn’t look if dealer installed at same time or owner did later. This is equipped with all the red power add ones but no door hand rails. I thought I could get a picture off website but they took it down already. My plan is to clean it up and sell it when I get it probably will even advertise it before I get it.

fun fun, i have its younger brother - 5088 -  ive been happy wtih mine so far knock on wood

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is your local deere dealer a Gooseneck dealer by chance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, the dealer must have been stoned and asleep at the wheel letting it go with meat on the bone for you to be able to turn around and resell it.

Dealers around here would make darn sure there wasn't a cent left for someone else to make, or else it will sit on the lot and rot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a Black and white picture. I had them run it off onto sale receipt. They took all the color pictures down being it is sold. Hoping to make a little off of it not a huge amount

9E6DE19A-5830-4606-98D6-D75284C04988.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neighbor Has a Tuff looking 1486 with a Turbo Sticker in the same place,  You Can see the Sticker when the Rain Washes off all the cow Manure.

His Hired Help Removed the doors on the 1486,   Cab is a Rusty Busted Mess,   Tractor is Bolted to a Manure Tank Spreader.

The Turbo is a Dealer Applied Sticker?

Thanks, Jim Droscha 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Neighbor Has a Tuff looking 1486 with a Turbo Sticker in the same place,  You Can see the Sticker when the Rain Washes off all the cow Manure.

His Hired Help Removed the doors on the 1486,   Cab is a Rusty Busted Mess,   Tractor is Bolted to a Manure Tank Spreader.

The Turbo is a Dealer Applied Sticker?

Thanks, Jim Droscha 

Yes the turbo sticker was dealer applied as were the branding irons. It will be interesting to see if turbo stickers are as old as the red power and branding iron stickers. What is unique about this one it still has the decals from 1979 and not been painted over. More pics to come in September and like I said it gives me a range of serial numbers now the 79 red powers were made . I will have to look up build dates on the two I have now. And the turbo stickers were not part of package wondering if some dealer just went one more step

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dale560 said:

Yes rugby store and you are down by their sister stores green iron.

I kinda thought it sounded like a gooseneck deal. We have been buying quite a few trade ins from them the last few years. They sure are on the ball about getting the trade ins and trades for the trade ins sold before the new piece arrives. We've had to wait quite a while to get some of our purchases as well. We bought a combine from them the beginning of March and we just heard the other day that is in now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday I had to make a service call to this original 1086 Red Power for AC issues. This one is a 1979 model as well. This guys father bought the tractor new…he passed away several years ago. He was a flight instructor for the Marines in WWII for Corsair fighters…real interesting guy that could tell you lots of stories about WWII or growing up in the Great Depression. 
This tractor originally had a stereo with an 8-track tape player in it. It used to have the original 8-track tape that came with the tractor new in one of the door pockets years ago…don’t know what happened to the tape as I told the guy he should put that it somewhere for safe keeping. 
Also on this tractor, you can see some of the red paint is wearing off the front axle, exposing the green primer that came on that front axle when it came from one of Deere’s foundries to Farmall. This one is used mainly as a haying tractor so it’s probably been through a lot of tall grass through the years. 

47568BBE-66D2-464B-9EFC-47AB73B97A84.jpeg

B894BE15-D6A1-4DF5-8185-2DDC1098B145.jpeg

8EAD9A93-0EB3-4CD2-854A-5C047F5106F2.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SDman said:

Yesterday I had to make a service call to this original 1086 Red Power for AC issues. This one is a 1979 model as well. This guys father bought the tractor new…he passed away several years ago. He was a flight instructor for the Marines in WWII for Corsair fighters…real interesting guy that could tell you lots of stories about WWII or growing up in the Great Depression. 
This tractor originally had a stereo with an 8-track tape player in it. It used to have the original 8-track tape that came with the tractor new in one of the door pockets years ago…don’t know what happened to the tape as I told the guy he should put that it somewhere for safe keeping. 
Also on this tractor, you can see some of the red paint is wearing off the front axle, exposing the green primer that came on that front axle when it came from one of Deere’s foundries to Farmall. This one is used mainly as a haying tractor so it’s probably been through a lot of tall grass through the years. 

47568BBE-66D2-464B-9EFC-47AB73B97A84.jpeg

B894BE15-D6A1-4DF5-8185-2DDC1098B145.jpeg

8EAD9A93-0EB3-4CD2-854A-5C047F5106F2.jpeg

Nice picture SD you don’t  see a lot of them with the branding iron stickers left on them. I would bet the smaller tractors are more rare in the red power trim. If you were going to demo a tractor the bigger ones probably had more interest. I know of 4  red power 1486s that were close in area now and a 1586 that came from about 100 miles away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice find. I just brought home a red power 1486 today, and it come from a few miles from the border. Unfortunately it's just a parts tractor. Too much work to make it a runner but it will keep our one 14 going and will get the project 14 running. I will have to check s/n and see how far apart they are

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, db1486 said:

Nice find. I just brought home a red power 1486 today, and it come from a few miles from the border. Unfortunately it's just a parts tractor. Too much work to make it a runner but it will keep our one 14 going and will get the project 14 running. I will have to check s/n and see how far apart they are

Check the serial number ours are 19220 I think and 19770 area. Can’t remember last digit exactly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 5:11 AM, dale560 said:

Check the serial number ours are 19220 I think and 19770 area. Can’t remember last digit exactly.

19390 stamped 79 on it. Not far off yours. Our project one we bought last year must be a late 79 as it is 24173. Maybe I missed it but were the redpower ones only early 79? The later one is the all black interior but with data center

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, db1486 said:

19390 stamped 79 on it. Not far off yours. Our project one we bought last year must be a late 79 as it is 24173. Maybe I missed it but were the redpower ones only early 79? The later one is the all black interior but with data center

They say early 79 and maybe early 80. The ones I have seen are all early  79 models though. So the red power 1486s should be in the 19000 serial number range give maybe some in the late 18000 to 20,000. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also on this tractor, you can see some of the red paint is wearing off the front axle, exposing the green primer that came on that front axle when it came from one of Deere’s foundries to Farmall. This one is used mainly as a haying tractor so it’s probably been through a lot of tall grass through the years.

That doesn't look like Green from a Deere mfg or dealer/supplier. I'm guessing it's the primer used on aircraft aluminum and often on steel as well called Zinc Chromate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Talked to the Son of the owner of IHC dealer from the time our second red power 1486 was sold new. He gave me the original buyers name. It was sold local in the area and moved 40 miles north and now back when we get it. He also told me the dealership got 2 red power 1486s in during the promotion. He bought one of them himself to farm with and the one we are getting was their second one. He also told me they were only 79 model year none were 80. The son is a bit older than me but probably was 18 when he bought that red power 1486 new. He was interested in the one we bought just because of the history. Will post more pics of our 2 bueaties when they are together.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...