VT I went through town today

forwhldrv

29 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

We would be there overnight and part of a day probably. Passing through on way to Maine

Just a nice trip through either way, the presidential range is beautiful 

I went to School near North Conway, just over the line in Maine. It really is an area with spectacular scenery. I can't stand leaf peepers and the like but I must say the White mountains and a drive on the Kankamagus really is beautiful .  Back in about 10'th grade my parents wanted to drive up Mt. Washington, I managed to cajole my Dad into letting me drive....UP..... He made it clear when we left HE, would drive down.... I think my Mother stared straight ahead as best she could!  Is the road wider these days? Haven't been up since about 1985.

So if you guys were going to stay at a nice place with your wife around Mt Washington where would you chose?

3 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

So if you guys were going to stay at a nice place with your wife around Mt Washington where would you chose?

Bernerhoff is really nice too

3 hours ago, TomH said:

I went to School near North Conway, just over the line in Maine. It really is an area with spectacular scenery. I can't stand leaf peepers and the like but I must say the White mountains and a drive on the Kankamagus really is beautiful .  Back in about 10'th grade my parents wanted to drive up Mt. Washington, I managed to cajole my Dad into letting me drive....UP..... He made it clear when we left HE, would drive down.... I think my Mother stared straight ahead as best she could!  Is the road wider these days? Haven't been up since about 1985.

Hasn’t notability changed since the early 90’s 

The Mt Washington auto road is nice I’ve only ever been up and down once in 03. They allowed ATV’s to drive up it so I did it was a great day weather wise. I would like to some time take the Cog railway up I think it starts somewhere near the MT Washington hotel. The only time I’ve been near the hotel was with a snowmobile when we rode from Massachusetts through New Hampshire to the Canadian border then back. Yes northern VT and NH are beautiful but your not going to break any land speed records getting across them. 

1 hour ago, forwhldrv said:

The Mt Washington auto road is nice I’ve only ever been up and down once in 03. They allowed ATV’s to drive up it so I did it was a great day weather wise. I would like to some time take the Cog railway up I think it starts somewhere near the MT Washington hotel. The only time I’ve been near the hotel was with a snowmobile when we rode from Massachusetts through New Hampshire to the Canadian border then back. Yes northern VT and NH are beautiful but your not going to break any land speed records getting across them. 

Interesting side note, for a couple years they ran the cog to the first water station during the winter to transport skiers up, it simultaneously became the worlds oldest ski lift and the first ever steam powered ski lift.

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Interesting side note, for a couple years they ran the cog to the first water station during the winter to transport skiers up, it simultaneously became the worlds oldest ski lift and the first ever steam powered ski lift.

My parents went up it in 68 on their honeymoon. Pretty sure it crashed and killed people like a week later dad said 

16 minutes ago, forwhldrv said:

My parents went up it in 68 on their honeymoon. Pretty sure it crashed and killed people like a week later dad said 

https://www.newscentermaine.com/mobile/article/news/local/chaos-on-the-cog-50-years-later-train-crash-survivor-shares-story/476781167