IH DT 400 series vs Case 504

Big Bud guy

We have/had both engines here. 466 in 2 3788's and the 504 in a 4494. Nothing wrong with either, but I personally think the 504 is a better pulling motor. We just rebuilt the 504 in our 4494. Just shy of 9000 hours, everything was original on that tractor other than tires and a few little things. Was sure hard to get a rebuild kit for it though. Dad got about 7000 hours on his first 3788. Put a reman in and it still runs but tractor needs other work. They both pulled same implements, did the exact same work. I'd say pretty equal on fuel consumption, but we never actually figured out numbers. The case will lug down and outpull in a tough spot. We run singles on it for spraying and combining, so when deep tilling or cultivating, it will power hop bad. But just pull the throttle back to about 1300 rpm and it quits bouncing and keeps pulling. The 3788 if it got in a tough spot and dropped to 1800 then it was time to pull the ta or lift up. No comparison. Both are good starters.

The case 504 seemed to not have as long a life in the 4690/94. I personally think that was squeezing out the most power out of that engine. Seems like all the ones we come across were rebuilt around 5000 hours or wore out. 4490/94 did have a better life although I have seen many of them rebuilt by 6000 hours, but I do know that some of them used to get the screw turned up and smoke like a freight train lol. The 504 lasted the best in the 2wd tractor from what I see. Which makes sense. Not much of a load from a big motor at 100-160hp. That's where the 466 shines. It can take higher hp better for longer imo

• Like 1

My friends who have case crab steer tractors never seem to have engine problems. They seemed to have transmission and other problems.

The ih dv800 were well liked round here when new. Nobody wanted to rebuild them for whatever reason, probably cost. The big cam Cummins conversion was nice on a 4586!

Thx-Ace 

Had a 2670 and father in law had a 3394 with 504 and I was always impressed with the engine. Good strong pulling units. The downfall to both was the powershift trannys bolted up to them. Never heard anything bad about the 504’s

12 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Certainly, not terrible engines but needed more attention with the wrench when they approached their design limit around 200 HP.  

Their design limit was more then 200 hp.  

12 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The engines in any 8x30, 8x40, and 8x50 John Deere 4wd are not going to win any longevity contest that is for sure. The best thing that ever happened to those tractors was a Kinze repower. The engine in the IH and the Case are sitting inside a frame. Unless the John Deere has a Kinze kit, the engine is a structural component and that caused a lot of early failures. 

I agree but there are several examples I know of reaching 5,6, even 8,000 hrs before blowing up.  It is the exception though.  They should have used a real frame but they also could have designed the engine to with a cast iron structural pan/frame like the row crop 8000 series.  I think that would have alleviated the problem somewhat.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I agree but there are several examples I know of reaching 5,6, even 8,000 hrs before blowing up.  It is the exception though.  They should have used a real frame but they also could have designed the engine to with a cast iron structural pan/frame like the row crop 8000 series.  I think that would have alleviated the problem somewhat.  

My 8650 made it to 6,200 on the original engine. Lots of problems since then, but now has almost 12,000 on it. I have a re-powered 8640 and that is a real tractor. 

3 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

My 8650 made it to 6,200 on the original engine. Lots of problems since then, but now has almost 12,000 on it. I have a re-powered 8640 and that is a real tractor. 

That aint bad.  I think if you babied them and maybe treated them like a Steiger/Versatile 2 sizes smaller they did alright.  I know of Cummins powered 4 wheel drive tractors that didn't make it that far.  

Somewhat off topic. I don't care for j.i. case tractors however I worked for a guy chisel plowing with a 4890 case with the big 674cube swedish diesel in it and 3 speed powershift man would that thing grunt. One time I was chisel plowing where sewer trucks had been dumping all winter and you could have landed a jumbo jet on that field it was packed hard I was in low range 2ed gear and I would hit the hard spots the front end would come off the ground 2-3 feet and the thing would just keep crawling and lugging away that thing has to have the most torque of any tractor I have driven. Kinda sad the same guy had a cih 9280 and the 'ol case would put that 855 Cummins to shame, the guy ended up selling the 9280 and 12 bottom plow but kept the 45 foot digger 15 foot chisel and 30 foot disc and the 4890 handles them well. 

7 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I have seen a few reach that high hours also. Cast structure pan.am that is the worst thing about working on a replacement engine in a 30 series is that dang oil pan.  I know what your saying if it would had been bigger and more rigid engine life would have improved. Amazing in excavators or other industrial apps they would run lots of hours. Then the 8760 with rubber mounted engine they lasted a long time

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Scania probably?

Yup, Scania..............They have a unique sound.

I know all about the 84 and 86 Deere issues................Was a number of them around here and got to slave on them.  Only know of acouple left and those are south of me and might be in the parts row by this point.  The 466 seemed to handle the twist stress better than the 619, those were always popping head gaskets.  If I have have the need for a cheap 4x4 an 86 probably would hold up if you fire ringed it, added stiffeners to the frame(Or lack of it) in the front, and had guys who ran it that understood to not drive it across ditches 45 degrees to the ditch.  With all that said, Kinze saved those.  Its quite sad actually, the drivelines on them were pretty darn good, just everything in front of the cab was lacking.  He solved that.   Neighbor bought a 8850 with a Kinze repower and they must have got the juice put right to the 855 in it, they were running a 5 shank inline ripper over the fence row from my house right in up to the frame, had all axles just digging and never ran out of power, didn't even sound like it was breathing hard.  He said it runs like a raped ape.  They don't do much other than inline rip with it, but I sure would like to run it.