Super MTA oiling issue

AGGIE

6 hours ago, AGGIE said:

Next step is to finish pulling motor...

Hate to see you have to do that unless absolutely necessary.  I'd pull these three plugs and probe with wire to assess depth/blockage.  If the stud blocks the middle one, possibly you could "mark" the stud in some manner through that passage, then remove the stud and assess if you could just shorten that end?  You could probably do all this with just pulling the pan and the center bearing cap.  I don't know - talk to your machinist as he knows what he did for that stud.  You could probably just drill through that passage and through that stud ....but getting all the chips out might be troublesome....  Stud will be fairly hard, too.

Thanks

Mark

block.jpg.293154c4087cc965c58e8dbb7689b1c3.jpg

So I attached pics. You can see where the stud is inserted and how it goes into oil gallery. I could not get a pic of the oil passage in the main but with a light you can see it plain as day. Now off to machine shop to see what they have to say. Wish I would have paid closer during assembly but the thought never entered my mind.

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

• Like 1

Ouch, I'm glad you paid a watchful eye. That could have been devastating.... Hopefully they make it right. I think I'd push for a new block for them to do machine work on for free, but that's just my opinion. 

Geez - is that the stud (or drilled hole) all the way down at the blue?

Stud.jpg.0f627176805d92234b54d32fb0b194c0.jpg

Thread should stop at around the yellow line - that's all the farther the original bolts go, anyway.  Shorter stud and (somehow) plug "whatever" that is that is down in the webbing and the needed passages should be open again.  Even if it has to be tapped way oversize, he's a machinist and should be able to make (and heat treat) an appropriate stud? - I would agree it's all on him, regardless.

Bummer this happen, but good catch.  Good luck.

Mark

Remove stud. Enlarge bore down to cam galley. Reinstall stud. Extra clearance should let oil get where it needs to go. Repair will still be intact. It doesn't take much clearance on that big a hole to eqaul the area of the galley.

• 2 weeks later...

So we took block back to machine shop. What he does is after he drills it out he turns the stud down on the lathe so the oil will flow around the stud. He told us he has done this on a bunch of these motors. So he is going to pull the stud out and double check to see what is going on. He said he may have to turn stud down a few more thousands so the oil will flow around it. Waiting to hear back.