Jump to content

Roto baler less than spectacular


ny bill o
 Share

Recommended Posts

I tried out the Allis Roto Baler yesterday. First bale kicked out OK, but with no string. I loosened the twine disc and somehow got the twine arm to drop. Now, the arm just dangles, and I haven't found a way to reset it. I finally decided that 95* temps were not compatible with worrying about it, and put the baler back in the barn. Not sure what the AC engineers were smoking when they designed the baler, but they must have stayed up late several nights.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

I tried out the Allis Roto Baler yesterday. First bale kicked out OK, but with no string. I loosened the twine disc and somehow got the twine arm to drop. Now, the arm just dangles, and I haven't found a way to reset it. I finally decided that 95* temps were not compatible with worrying about it, and put the baler back in the barn. Not sure what the AC engineers were smoking when they designed the baler, but they must have stayed up late several nights.

...just want to say, Bill...that I was laughing with you...certainly  not at you.....:)

...all the best for ''next time'  !!!

Mike

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does the Baler in your Barn Have the electric Tie Arm?   The Sensor May have old Hay Leaves or Hay stems in the Area of the sencer.

Wiring on the age of baler may Have a corroded connection.

We Helped the Neighbors For an Afternoon, Baled with a White 2-105,   Most of the Bales Had strings, We learned to Disengage the PTO and Start the Twine again if the Twine wasn't Visible between the Round Baler Belts,  Cut Off Knives need to Be Really Sharp for Plastic Twine Cutting at the end of the Twine Cycle.

Neighbors Purchased an AC Round baler from a consignment auction,   Looked Good.  Traded to a New Holland Dealer in southern Michigan that was also an     Allis Chalmers Dealer 10 days after there Auction purchase,  That New Holland Baler is Still Rolling Bales on there Farm.

Jim Droscha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Does the Baler in your Barn Have the electric Tie Arm?   The Sensor May have old Hay Leaves or Hay stems in the Area of the sencer.

Wiring on the age of baler may Have a corroded connection.

We Helped the Neighbors For an Afternoon, Baled with a White 2-105,   Most of the Bales Had strings, We learned to Disengage the PTO and Start the Twine again if the Twine wasn't Visible between the Round Baler Belts,  Cut Off Knives need to Be Really Sharp for Plastic Twine Cutting at the end of the Twine Cycle.

Neighbors Purchased an AC Round baler from a consignment auction,   Looked Good.  Traded to a New Holland Dealer in southern Michigan that was also an     Allis Chalmers Dealer 10 days after there Auction purchase,  That New Holland Baler is Still Rolling Bales on there Farm.

Jim Droscha

I think this baler was built before electricity was discovered- or maybe 1953.

it is all mechanical- just a matter of finding the right combo of linkages. When I get inspired again. I bought an owners manual which has pages of how it works- once you compare the part name with the labels on the pictures to see what they are talking about.

This thing has more rods going to that lever to trip something else. Its no wonder men got caught in them- you can hardly find a place to lean your hand to watch it turn to see where the motion stops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As an eleven and twelve year old kid I also hated the AC round baler. It and my Dad would kick out thousands of bales, hay, straw, once even corn stalks.  60 lb. bales when you weigh 90 pounds was a bit of a chore. Permanently hurt my right shoulder setting the hay hook then giving all I had placing the bale up in the third row of the old hay rack. About five feet above my head. He did have troubles once in a while but not nearly as much as I wanted. The end result was always mountains of bales in our farm yard to get us through the winter. Wishing yours one day will work as well as ours did fifty years ago.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Never been around one working personally. 

Very few people have. LOL.  Gramps had a Roto baler and he was always able to make bales but at times it was a struggle. I remember handling lots of them. Probably not very many in working order anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember seeing a lot of them around in the early 60's , they must have worked good in the day but it must have been a bit@h stakin the bales

I remember men using hay hooks to handle the bales and they could chuck the bales a fair distance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

What did they use, binder twine? 

yes, and there was a little more than 1 ball of twine in the box from its last use. Seems still strong enough.

 

47 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

 Probably not very many in working order anymore. 

including this one at present...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Does the Baler in your Barn Have the electric Tie Arm?   The Sensor May have old Hay Leaves or Hay stems in the Area of the sencer.

Wiring on the age of baler may Have a corroded connection.

We Helped the Neighbors For an Afternoon, Baled with a White 2-105,   Most of the Bales Had strings, We learned to Disengage the PTO and Start the Twine again if the Twine wasn't Visible between the Round Baler Belts,  Cut Off Knives need to Be Really Sharp for Plastic Twine Cutting at the end of the Twine Cycle.

Neighbors Purchased an AC Round baler from a consignment auction,   Looked Good.  Traded to a New Holland Dealer in southern Michigan that was also an     Allis Chalmers Dealer 10 days after there Auction purchase,  That New Holland Baler is Still Rolling Bales on there Farm.

Jim Droscha

Oh...My!!!      I Thought you were using a "Duetz-Allis Round Baler"  Also Known as a "Duetz-fahr", Round Baler!!

Good Luck!

Jim Droscha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have an official owners manual but I do have an A-C  (How to run your ROTO-BALER). It's all Dad ever had while he used the bailer. Lots of do's, and don'ts. What needs adjusted and how to do it. Also a few pages of. Is this your problem? Check this. Only about 16 pages. You can have it if you want it. Even if the baler was new I wouldn't want to try bailing without it.  But as you know BE CAREFUL!! It has spring loaded parts that can still move taking off fingers (happened to Dad) when tractor, pto, and patience are all turned off. Just let me know.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Oh...My!!!      I Thought you were using a "Duetz-Allis Round Baler"  Also Known as a "Duetz-fahr", Round Baler!!

Good Luck!

Jim Droscha

no Deutz involved- this is the monstrosity. I just wanted to see if it would make a bale or 2.

1018252500_2021-04-1216_39_18.thumb.jpg.8fcde8904cbc7da3b5620ca3401240aa.jpg

5 minutes ago, oldfarmkid said:

I don't have an official owners manual but I do have an A-C  (How to run your ROTO-BALER). It's all Dad ever had while he used the bailer. Lots of do's, and don'ts. What needs adjusted and how to do it. Also a few pages of. Is this your problem? Check this. Only about 16 pages. You can have it if you want it. Even if the baler was new I wouldn't want to try bailing without it.  But as you know BE CAREFUL!! It has spring loaded parts that can still move taking off fingers (happened to Dad) when tractor, pto, and patience are all turned off. Just let me know.

I think what I have is a copy of the official Allis owner's manual. Thanks.

A farmer next door to Dad's farm lost both arms in a Rotobaler about 1960, so I'm aware they are a hazard. And thanks for the reminder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Binder twine...... as a kid, there were guys around who had them (Roto-balers) but only used them for the last cutting. They would use binder twine and then just leave the bales laying on the ground. They would then let the cows graze them come Dec and Jan. By that time the binder twine was pretty well rotted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ny bill o said:

no Deutz involved- this is the monstrosity. I just wanted to see if it would make a bale or 2.

1018252500_2021-04-1216_39_18.thumb.jpg.8fcde8904cbc7da3b5620ca3401240aa.jpg

I think what I have is a copy of the official Allis owner's manual. Thanks.

A farmer next door to Dad's farm lost both arms in a Rotobaler about 1960, so I'm aware they are a hazard. And thanks for the reminder.

To your question about if you could make a bale or two the answer was no. To the point of it being highly dangerous please be extra careful as I hope to shake your hand again at a show or two yet 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...