Why did this overhaul fail?????

With the mains being clean that usually will eliminate that you had trash elsewhere in the system.  Crank oil holes are straight through on that crank and should have been easy to clean with a galley brush, I brush, wash and blow with compressed air then coat with light oil prior to assembly.  If you had good oil pressure even hot and your clearances were right I sure would be blaming the bearings.

Scott

• Like 2

From a general point of view, I would suspect either an interruption of oiling at or near the entry to the crank oil holes, or that there lack of bearing clearance; since I wouldn’t suspect a simple clearance problem in your case I would wonder if the caps got machined out of round somehow, in particular I would suspect they were narrower at the parting line axis.  

Or crap bearing quality, but then I think they would make it more than 10 hours before giving up.

Anyway, bummer of a deal.  I think we’ve all had them.  I know I had one that I was at least partially re$$$pon$ibe for.  Cost a bunch of money to fix that oops and it was so preventable . . . 

2 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

I’ve had reliance bite me more then once try to avoid it at all cost. I’ve started to try Riley tractor parts they won’t sell that stuff

Oh yes they still sell reliance junk. You have to specify when you order you DO NOT want Reliance parts. 

9 hours ago, Duntongw said:

It's not a situation where the rod or bearing is riding against the radius on the journal?

Good point if the chamfer on the bearing is to small there will be trouble 

I had an engine rebuilt at a machine shop.  The inline 6 had a bearing failure previous to me owning it.  The chips from the bearing failure were stuck in the oil passage and the engine would lose its oil pressure to rod & main.  I took  it back to the machine shop and they worked on it for 3 weeks without correcting the problem.  They could not find the plugged oil passage either.  They gave me my money back and I sold the Jeep.  

3 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Ah crap!! I couldn’t find anything but reliance for the D282 I’m working on, so the cam bearings, and main bearings are reliance, now you all have me nervous!!!!???

Nervous based on what ? So far, no evidence has been presented. I’m not convinced. I have several Reliance engines running around flawlessly. Now I have one repeatedly  burning up used Reliance parts that that already ran a couple hundred hours. Is that Reliance’s fault, or mine?  And with all the piston trouble I’m experiencing, the bearings are still in perfect condition through 3 overhauls (sorta overhauls). Sure their gaskets leave something to be desired, but I have no complaints about the hard parts.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

Nervous based on what ? So far, no evidence has been presented. I’m not convinced. I have several Reliance engines running around flawlessly. Now I have one repeatedly  burning up used Reliance parts that that already ran a couple hundred hours. Is that Reliance’s fault, or mine?  And with all the piston trouble I’m experiencing, the bearings are still in perfect condition through 3 overhauls (sorta overhauls). Sure their gaskets leave something to be desired, but I have no complaints about the hard parts.

That definitely makes me feel better!! This tractor wasn’t supposed to be overhauled, but here I am, and I don’t want to lose the bottom end to bearing failures! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

That definitely makes me feel better!! This tractor wasn’t supposed to be overhauled, but here I am, and I don’t want to lose the bottom end to bearing failures! 

And , may I add,  before overhaul #2 they let the poor thing hammer and pound for so long that she hammered out the sleeve seals on that cylinder and those bearings that everybody hates were running in grey anti freeze gunk. 

23 hours ago, Gearclash said:

...  I know I had one that I was at least partially re$$$pon$ibe for.  Cost a bunch of money to fix that oops and it was so preventable . . . 

And you're just gonna leave us hanging like that?

Ruuuude!

42 minutes ago, KWRB said:

And you're just gonna leave us hanging like that?

Ruuuude!

I really don’t want to talk about it.  I get mad at myself to this day when I think about that incident.  Just saying **it happens.  Usually when a person gets in a hurry.  I really doubt INTERNATIONAL 1466 did something as stupid as I did.

In a nut shell, I had pulled the radiator on a 5140.  Reinstalled it, filled the cooling system, and send it out the door.  Problem is, those engines are known to air lock rather badly so they need to be run just enough to get the thermostat open and burp the air out, then top off.  Problems is, that didn’t happen.  Tractor went straight on the mixer wagon.  No one was in the cab monitoring the instruments.  By the time the operator got in, the engine had scored several cylinders.  On a perfectly good, original engine.