1480 Combine Chopper Blades

My IH 1480 has a straw chopper on it but the blades are the standard bullnose edge.  Anytime I go through green stem soybeans it will just leave the stems in tact and a mess to deal with for tillage.  Has anyone taken a grinder and sharpened them up to a sharp edge?  Did it improve "chopping" drastically?   I'm sure I'd sacrifice longevity with more wear but I only do 100 acres per year so that's not too much of a concern.  I see aftermarket companies sell a Straw Chopper Bar as well.  Would that be a better option or would sharpening the chopper blades do just as good?

Thanks in advance for input.

After all of the times I've been inside the back of the combine, I've never noticed the mounts under the tray.  I guess I never thought to look until now.  lol

I may just get a Straw Chopper bar and do it the right way.  Installation is crazy simple now that I see the mounts.  Thanks guys

There was a company(don't remember the name) made sickle section replacements for the u-bars. A lot of guys would just weld sections to the u-bars

3 hours ago, bmodracer88 said:

After all of the times I've been inside the back of the combine, I've never noticed the mounts under the tray.  I guess I never thought to look until now.  lol

I may just get a Straw Chopper bar and do it the right way.  Installation is crazy simple now that I see the mounts.  Thanks guys

I am assuming you are talking about the tooth bar and not the actual chopper knifes. IF I remember correctly. The square edge and corners on the chopper knives on the chopper rotor serve to grab the material and bring through the tooth bar.

We have a 1460 and 1480 with straw choppers. I have more than once sharpened the straw chopper rotary knives with an angle grinder and have replace the stationary knife blades. The sharper all of it is, the easier it drives and the better job it does. Lots of people dont realize there is a stationary knife bar the is removable that has to be there for the chopper to size the straw as it passes through. It sounds to me like you dont have a stationary knife. Hope that answers the question.

1 hour ago, JaredT said:

We have a 1460 and 1480 with straw choppers. I have more than once sharpened the straw chopper rotary knives with an angle grinder and have replace the stationary knife blades. The sharper all of it is, the easier it drives and the better job it does. Lots of people dont realize there is a stationary knife bar the is removable that has to be there for the chopper to size the straw as it passes through. It sounds to me like you dont have a stationary knife. Hope that answers the question.

You hit the nail on the head.  I didn’t realize there was supposed to be a stationary mount until today.  I never even noticed the mounts were there for one!   No wonder it did a crap job last fall.  I’m going to for sure get a stationary chopper bar for it.  I assume you just remove it completely for corn? 
Thanks for the help, everyone!  

The stationary bar is the one guys would put the sickle sections on. I assumed you had one.

The straw chopper area has went through many changes through the years. First, the knives on the rotor were changed, from that square/blunt nose design to a knife-edge design for better performance. Next, the knives on the stationary knife bar were made taller as well as incorporated a knife-edge on them as well. Later on, the design was changed so that you could adjust the knives from outside the machine so you didn’t have to lay on the top sieve to adjust/install/remove the stationary knife bar. Some pictures here from a 2366 I have at the shop with all this stuff on it. 

C7C3F662-CDCF-4B4F-83DA-7F7511D2ACD1.jpeg

9CB01AE0-3D75-485A-8D80-7CB40C2E2B45.jpeg

8CFEF23B-0F2C-4B30-9CC5-46C2B2F8C8AC.jpeg

C6484C87-81A2-4488-B421-A9164AD90BA0.jpeg