I've invented a new tool.. the Combo Chain Saw / Metal Detector

dads706

30 years ago the wife bought me a Stihl Super 029 for Christmas. Great saw, starts easy, no problems at all, always dependable, except.....it finds nails, barb wire, railroad spikes, even found a horseshoe once. Let me explain...........

The bulldozer guy lined up a half dozen or so of the bigger (3' across Chinese Elms) so that I could cut them up for firewood. So yesterday morning when it was still cool, I put on a new chain, fresh gas, and I'm gonna cut some wood. First two cuts, the chips were flying and I was grinning, this was gonna be fun. Third cut.... (don't forget the new chain, that's the key point)....chips flying .....^&^^#%^&(&T*((*%&#^#^ sparks flying. It happens every f'n time. 20 foot of tree trunk and I will cut the 1/2 inch that has a chunk of iron. Some where in the past 120 years someone used a 6" nail to fasten something to this tree. I hit it dead center on the head. 1/2" left or right and I would have never known it was there. My chain saw is a metal magnet. And this isn't the first... if there is a staple or piece of fence wire .... I'm going to find it. I should just give up cutting anything below 6 feet from the ground.  I'm usually careful when it comes to cutting anything that could have been used for fencing etc.. I guessed wrong on this one. (As I usually do).   It was calm with no wind...if you were outside at 6:30 in the morning and listened real close you could possible have learned some new words. 

• Haha 10

My little Poulan has a "EZ adjust"  chain (no tools required)   That is code words for "loosens up in 30 seconds and falls off

grinding against the spikey thing and nicking 39 out of 40 of the drive teeth !!  These teeth will no longer fit in the groove in the bar .

Takes about an hour to file burrs off chain and another 30 seconds to nick em up again ?

Those damn "FREE" signs get me everytime (should of left it there in guys driveway)

• Haha 3

Mine was free too. Picked it out of someone’s rubbish. Chain on backwards, blue from lack of oil. Fixed the oil pump, new chain, carb kit, it’s a nice little saw. And light. Say what you will about poulan, but I love my little Wood Shark. Course I collect chain saws so they last longer around me than the manufacturer’s hoped they wouldn’t 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dads706 said:

It was calm with no wind...if you were outside at 6:30 in the morning and listened real close you could possible have learned some new words. 

I thought I heard something but I also thought it was just an echo from last Thursday coming back.

• Haha 3

I went to school with some boys who’s dad owned a saw mill . Had a wall off stuff the mill found the hard way . I remember a couple of cannon balls . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, busted knuckles said:

I think I have 22 at this time that run. Yes , I have a few Poulans also, favorite is a 305.

DSC00835.JPG

How big is a 305?

Have hit lots of bullets with the sawmill but never anything substantial. We usually have a caveat it we’re doing any custom sawing or planing though. We hit metal you buy the new teeth or planer knives. Has happened with power poles before. Anything questionable now we usually run over with a metal detector quickly before we saw it. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ky966boy said:

I went to school with some boys who’s dad owned a saw mill . Had a wall off stuff the mill found the hard way . I remember a couple of cannon balls . 

We sawed in a horse shoe once that some one had hung in a tree branch when it was a young tree

Old fence insulators are the worst  they will raise he!! with a 52 inch head saw

Ah good ol' Chinese Elm. Only good for making a guy that doesn't know to properly file his chain feel like he knew what he was doing when the entire bar sinks into it and it cuts like a homesick beaver.

22 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I've hit metal in the 2nd 16' log with my woodmizer. You just have to assume that there is metal in a log if it was a yard tree.

21 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Have hit lots of bullets with the sawmill but never anything substantial. We usually have a caveat it we’re doing any custom sawing or planing though. We hit metal you buy the new teeth or planer knives. Has happened with power poles before. Anything questionable now we usually run over with a metal detector quickly before we saw it. 

Have hit barbed wire in the middle of a spruce once, and like poor farmer have hit a few bullets. Did find a 6 inch spike once. That dulled the blade fast lol. 

We do the same with sawing hydro poles or anything like that. If we break a blade or dull it from hitting something they pay for the blade. So far no one has had a problem with that. We did a pile of old elevator timbers from a 90 year old elevator and I will say I was very impressed. Never hit a single nail. Those boys that brought them did one heck of a good job pulling spikes lol

Best find I remember cutting trees was finding a power line insulator stuck in a old Poplar. Was cutting trees off a trail and first cut from the bottom up had sparks flying. Looked under the tree and could just see the insulator sticking out. Kept that souvenir lol