5 x 3 truck transmission old days.

oleman

Did any of you old truckers ever drive a rig with the attached photo shift pattern.

How was reverse handled?

This  is in an old Chevy gaser (V427) 50,000 GVW dump truck.

NO, I have not totally lost it, I want to learn more about the old days.

HI9823ZF.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oleman said:

Did any of you old truckers ever drive a rig with the attached photo shift pattern.

How was reverse handled?

HI9823ZF.JPG

They are a bugger to drive but once you get used to them they aren’t to bad. The aux trans isn’t synchronized so you have to float gears it like a road ranger. They generally rob a little bit of power. I know our Dt 466s in trucks with a 5 /2 and a 13 speed were way more powerful than the same setup with 5/4 in neighbors truck. Lots of Chevy ,Ford , ihc medium duty grain trucks up here with those setups.

1 hour ago, oleman said:

How was reverse handled?

HI9823ZF.JPG

Just add worn out steering and not stretching the wheel base correctly. I got caught hauling corn to the local turkey farm, over weight, under age and he could have kept on writing. I was 14 with a Nebraska school permit. That truck had 545? And you could make it do wheelies anytime you bumped the throttle to hard. 

• Like 2

5 main  4 aux  in a chev beet truck all day long.. I had a 62 mack twin stick too. I think the twin was more fun?

Had a C65 tandem with a 366 and that mess of a trans setup here for awhile..............I never did learn how to shift the stupid thing right.  Usually used the aux box to get going out of the field to the road, bump it into D.............Didn't have enough power to make it to OD very often in the hills here.  Fords with a 361FT and a 5+2 would outrun it, and the baby S series IH's with 466's and 5+2's would blow the doors off both of them.  

I drove a 1971 IH Fleetstar 2000 that had the DV550, 5speed and 3 speed rear axle.  That one was nice in that you only had to clutch for the transmission, the 3 speed drove like a 2 speed axle.  I also had a chance to help out on a potato harvest in Idaho one fall and drove an old GMC with a gasser and 2 stick tranny.  That took a little learning but I finally got the hang of it, sticking your left arm through the steering spokes and shifting both sticks at the same time to change gears.  It took a little time to figure it out. AND the brakes weren't much to write home about!  

• Haha 2

''''if you really wanted to get your knickers in a knot...the 16 speed Spicer  would do that every time......A bloody great heavy piece of equipment, this one behind a big six cylinder Mercedes  2624 truck....

Mike

The only 3 speed rear axle I know of was a tandem drive dump truck with a 5 spd. tranny and both rear axles were 2 speed. Low side were the same ratio. Mid range used low in front and high in rear split by power divider. High was both in high. I believe power divider only locked in low. Pretty sure that is how it works 

13 minutes ago, smfarms said:

The only 3 speed rear axle I know of was a tandem drive dump truck with a 5 spd. tranny and both rear axles were 2 speed. Low side were the same ratio. Mid range used low in front and high in rear split by power divider. High was both in high. I believe power divider only locked in low. Pretty sure that is how it works 

Yes that is the way they work. It wasn’t a common setup but the other potato guys I worked for had matched Chevy 70 trucks all 427 gas. One was a 5/4 aux trans, one was a 5/3 rear end like you describe and one was a 6610 or 13 Eaton rod ranger. Worked on all three of them many times. Clutches , driveshafts , axles ,water pumps etc.

Just now, m.c.farmerboy said:

I still have a MACK with 300 plus  and a  quad box 5 and 4  fun to drive 

cut my teeth on B-model MACKS with duplex and triplex trans.

Thanks smfarms, I didn't know how the system worked but that makes sense.  I was young and dumb at the point in my life and still learning how some mechanical things worked.  It was an easy truck to drive, had a combo bulk/sack feed box on it that scaled 14 tons in Nebraska, 13 in Iowa as I made many trips across Iowa into Minnesota farms for feed delivery. 

I had a Ford LN 8000 with a 6v53 Detroit and 5x4 trans. Big, heavy drop frame tandem dumptruck. Empty it was a slug. Loaded was worse. Needed all those gears. I will say though, it shifted easily in both transmissions.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:41 AM, smfarms said:

Guy Dad drove for had a '64 EMERYVILLE with 220 Cummins and that same 5+3 transmission & tandem axle combination.  It wasn't the fastest truck on the road but it was this guy's fastest truck.

Drove numerous KW, Petercar, Frightliners, and a few old Diamond Reo's & Whites back when I first started out. Have put close to 2 million miles on 5 & 4 gearboxes. This was common as the first 10, 13 & 14 speed boxes were just coming out. They used to be referred to as "mixer sticks". Most of them were Spicers and a few were what's referred to as a "working 5th" main. That being a main with a 5th geared so no matter where the aux was you wouldn't get any faster, only slower by downshifting the aux. All the aux boxes I drove were 4 Spd. but typically you only started out in Low Low (1st main & 1st aux), then every gear higher in the main & back into 2nd in aux. Then repeat as needed up or down, faggedaboudah rinse prospect, you didn't have time for that nonsense. And you had to pay attention to where you are going gear wise up and down or you'd find yourself alongside the road starting all over. IE: No time for naps between gear changes.

Once you got started just forget the clutch excepting when timing really mattered and the pull was a mite iffy. Other than that a lot of throttle work cause the aux was definitely not synchro-ed, use the throttle to match the gear speeds each box. Even got so I could do the double shuffle after a fashion. Shifting both main & aux at the same time. A real trick with copious amounts of finagling throttle, shifting, and luck along with Gods approving eye. Sometimes it worked, more often not. And then you can always add into the mix the 2 speed rear end. Typically only used when transitioning between on road & off road. And I might as well add in that the dash on most older trucks looked like a damn airplane dash, a gauge for absolutely every single thing. Tach, speedo, Oil pres., oil temp, water temp, alt, Pyrometer, boost pres., main temp, aux temp, front Rear end temp, back rear end temp, boost air temp, fuel (1 for each tank) Jake pos all 3 toggles, and I can't remember what all else, I think most of the stuff I drove had somewhere around 15-19 gauges in all. About the only thing they didn't have were altimeter, airspeed, rate of climb & decent, & heading.

All in all I lived through it and about 3-4 other careers. Logging pretty darn near, or a mite over, 4 million or so. Now ifn ya got any more questions, well, I got answers. They may not be the right ones or the ones you're lookin for, but I got answers... Once you get used to it, you'll have fun. And for damn sure ain't NOBODY gonna steal it from ya.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Had a friend who bought him a 359 Pete with a 6x4 mainly as a toy. He leased my pot from me to haul his own cattle but it was basically a hobby for him cause that’s what he drove years ago. Took me with him to get a load of cows for another friend and had me drive the whole trip. Was a fun experience I really enjoyed. My dad is in his 70’s and been driving his whole life but never handled a set of sticks. I wanted to buy that truck when my friend passed but I couldn’t justify a 40k yard ornament. Good memories.