Tractor of the week # 15 986

The subject of pictures and discussion this week is the 986. We owned a 986 for a few years and really liked it. Ours of course had all the turbo and components from a 1486 added shortly after we bought it. Unfortunately I can't find any pictures. I have a couple IH sales literature pictures this time. I really like the one with the 85 front mount cultivator. While we have a couple 85 front mounts, only ever had them on a 56 series. Anyway, back to the 986's. What do y'all have out there? Let's see em.

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Ours of course had all the turbo and components

Dad’s 986 that he purchased from St. Anne’s auction.  He wanted a turbo added so I added it for him.  Pulls the grain cart in the fall and occasionally the disc, chisel, or rock picker.  

15A959BA-1562-4838-BB66-99B3307972DD.jpeg

E49A3092-9035-46E3-AEE1-73D7F4EC68CE.jpeg

• Like 10

My 986 on right. 1086 on left. I actually sold it to the neighbor last year when I bought my 1486. I actually wish I had it back just for brush hogging duty. The paint was faded enough I didn't cringe when it sat out a few days here or there. 

Overall compared to its bigger brothers I never liked it as much. It needed the turbo. Burnt as much or more fuel than the 10, used more oil, and was a pain to keep seated in and not slobber. Probably could have used an inframe and hair dryer and would have loved it. Dont get me wrong I put ALOT of hours on it. 

20190728_144230.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

My 986 on right. 1086 on left. I actually sold it to the neighbor last year when I bought my 1486. I actually wish I had it back just for brush hogging duty. The paint was faded enough I didn't cringe when it sat out a few days here or there. 

Overall compared to its bigger brothers I never liked it as much. It needed the turbo. Burnt as much or more fuel than the 10, used more oil, and was a pain to keep seated in and not slobber. Probably could have used an inframe and hair dryer and would have loved it. Dont get me wrong I put ALOT of hours on it. 

20190728_144230.jpg

Remember the day I drove my 986 home. Went to put it in the shop and killed it on the little bump at the door. All our other tractors just drive in no problem. I thought what have I done! This thing is a gutless dog! Never had that impression after the turbo set up. Then we loved it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Remember the day I drove my 986 home. Went to put it in the shop and killed it on the little bump at the door. All our other tractors just drive in no problem. I thought what have I done! This thing is a gutless dog! Never had that impression after the turbo set up. Then we loved it.

Yah. Mine had a newer button clutch and I killed it 100 times too. The thing wouldn't slip for nothing trying to back up to equipment or pull up a couple feet. 

Found this receipt awhile back in my grandpas belongings From when he bought a 986 new. Still have it and run it often. Just baled hay with it last week with a little over 12000 hours on it. I think we’ve got our money’s worth. 92674D43-6AF2-4575-B065-1AF147C30A17.thumb.jpeg.9209ade89bcc8b0741e90c1aabb3d48a.jpeg

4AC9DFBF-3DE0-4096-8E0A-1CE8749D1991.jpeg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, ryangpayne said:

Found this receipt awhile back in my grandpas belongings From when he bought a 986 new. Still have it and run it often. Just baled hay with it last week with a little over 12000 hours on it. I think we’ve got our money’s worth. 92674D43-6AF2-4575-B065-1AF147C30A17.thumb.jpeg.9209ade89bcc8b0741e90c1aabb3d48a.jpeg

Grandpa was making that last big purchase of the year so the tax man didn’t get it!   :) 

thanks for sharing! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ryangpayne said:

I guess that dealer didn’t have to worry about losing their dealership after the merger. It couldn’t have been very common to have been a J I Case and an IH dealer at the same time pre-merger was it?

26 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I guess that dealer didn’t have to worry about losing their dealership after the merger. It couldn’t have been very common to have been a J I Case and an IH dealer at the same time pre-merger was it?

I would imagine very uncommon.  Both IH and JD were very unaccepting of another tractor line on the same lot.  They were not crazy about a lot of short lines either.  As far as the merger went anything could have happened.  Quite a number of "smaller" dealers were closed in favor of the regional Case dealer here. 

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

We had one like that in our area too. Still there. Here's one of their older dealership decals with the Case and IH embeds on it

20210628_101407.jpg

Here's the video from when I brought my 986 home with a little of the backstory as to why I wanted one.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

We had one like that in our area too. Still there. Here's one of their older dealership decals with the Case and IH embeds on it

20210628_101407.jpg

Wow, IH, J I Case, and New Holland. I guess they were the original CNH dealer. 

• Haha 1

Probably did not sell very many Case's I would assume?  Would it have been for construction equipment?  Case dealer here moved alot of construction equipment, but even today with half the ag customers of the time dead, people still B*tch about junk case ag equipment and how lousy the dealer was at taking care of them, between the 30 series and the 70's, most switched to Deere because of that bad service by the dealer.  

We had a 986 from 1980 til December 1999. Was our big tractor until we got my great grandfather's 1466. Didn't get to run it much in the spring as Grandpa always took it and left me with the 1466. I did however run it in the fall hauling 2 Killbros 350 gravity flow wagons behind it. Grandpa rather stayed in the old Chevy C-65 we had at the time. Hauled grain into the elevator with it at 13 years old. Traded it in for the FWA Magnum we have now. Glad we bought the Magnum ( love those tactors) but wish we didn't have to trade the 986 on it. I would love to find it someday again. Heard when the dealer sold it, it went off towards Blissfield Mi. But that's been over 20 years ago now. 

Dont have pics of the outside myself of it. Mom and Dad might but I'd have to dig through their pictures to find any. I do have this pic of Dad and I in the cab when I was still in diapers. 

20200301_204215.jpg

• Like 6