240 Utility rearend swap

I know of a guy that has a 240 Utility tractor with a 2001 loader on it. It's a pretty nice loader and tractor, has a weight bucket on the rear and all. And a broken rear end housing that is most likely because of this. I would think a 2001 loader is an awful lot of loader for a 240U myself. Anyway, I know there weren't a lot of 240s built compared to the others of that style, and most likely even less so 240 Utilities, I can say I've ever seen  another one around me. He wants me to make him an offer on it, has new rear tires too, but I'm guessing that the whole rear end/ transmission assembly isn't going to be easy to find, let alone nearby. Are there any models that the rear end assembly is the same that would interchange, like a 424 or 504? I wouldn't mind buying this thing and saving it, but not if I can't find a rear end for it, or if it costs twice as much as the tractor because they're hard to find.

I cant answer your question, but you could look on the IH parts website to get the part number then look at other models to see if they match. I had to do that when I needed a TA for my 350.

The 240 rear end is interchangeable with the 240 and American version of the 404, which is even rarer than the 240. Both trace their lineage back through the C/Super C/200/230 line, but I can't tell you if a Super C rear end would fit or not. I was going to try at one point in my life, but I fell off my 240U one time too many so it had to go.

My intended project was to swap the rear axle housings and front bolsters from a parts Super C to turn the 240U into a "High Utility" basically the same as a Farmall.

424 is a British built model. 504 is a larger rear end with a TA.

Actually it would be a cool upgrade to marry it to a 504 Utility rear end but I don't think the bell housing will match up to tne flange on the engine block.

I see 240 Utilities for sale all the time. Usually overpriced. There must be some junkers with good rear ends out there somewhere.

I have a parts 240 rear housing with no axles left . North central PA, not sure how long a drive you are in Michigan

12 hours ago, bitty said:

I have a parts 240 rear housing with no axles left . North central PA, not sure how long a drive you are in Michigan

I'm in central MI, so not too far north. I'm not sure if I want to mess with this thing or not. He says make him an offer, I hate that. I saw a couple on online auctions recently that sold for 12-1500. Yes this one has like new tires and a loader, but the rear end housing is cracked 90% of the way from top to bottom, thats not gonna be a 2 hour fix obviously no matter how its done. I would bet if I offered him $1000 for it he'd say no. Maybe not, but that's the feeling I get. We'll see, I'll keep you in mind if I get this thing and can't find anything nearby. I appreciate the replyear

Ross

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The 240 rear end is interchangeable with the 240 and American version of the 404, which is even rarer than the 240. Both trace their lineage back through the C/Super C/200/230 line, but I can't tell you if a Super C rear end would fit or not. I was going to try at one point in my life, but I fell off my 240U one time too many so it had to go.

My intended project was to swap the rear axle housings and front bolsters from a parts Super C to turn the 240U into a "High Utility" basically the same as a Farmall.

424 is a British built model. 504 is a larger rear end with a TA.

Actually it would be a cool upgrade to marry it to a 504 Utility rear end but I don't think the bell housing will match up to tne flange on the engine block.

I see 240 Utilities for sale all the time. Usually overpriced. There must be some junkers with good rear ends out there somewhere.

Dad used to have 3 404's at one time, I never paid much attention to them though. I do remember them being an interesting tractor, being so small with a 3 point. I used one of them to plow in my dog fence at one time 15 years or so ago. They're all gone now. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna check a couple salvage yards nearby and see what they have on hand. I drive right past Worthingtons every day and know all the guys in there, I'll stop in and see what's hiding around there. 

Ross