Farmall 450/400 vs Oliver Super 88

I had another comparison I'd like to get some input on. I've driven an Oliver Super 88 and have done some farm stock pulling with it but no farm work. I like the Oliver it's pretty snappy with a good governor. I have never driven a 400/450 or even an M for that matter but I love the classic sound of their engine. I know Oliver got the jump on ih in the live power department which must've been huge at the time. In fact my grandfather and dad traded in an M for a Super 77D just for that reason. How did these tractors compare otherwise and specifically with pulling power. I'm guessing a Super88 would possibly pull smaller tillage equipment faster but a 450/400 may have more torque/power to puller bigger equipment. 

I always thought the Oliver transmissions were pretty innovative with the splits.  Those Oliver's especially worked over a bit for pulling sound SO GOOD I'm talking div. 4 2500rpm 500 plus CID.  Sharp looking tractors too, 88-super 88 and 880.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I’ve been around both tractors.  If it’s a gas I’ll take the 450.  If I want a diesel I’ll take the Super 88.

Yes ive heard a super88 diesel run at an auction and that might e been the smoothest running engine of any kind ive ever heard. My uncle used to work for my dad and one of his favorite tractors of all time was my dads Super 77D and he's driven older tractors on my dads farm all the way to Magnums to 620 Quadtracts

Never been around an Ollie. FIL worked for one of my uncles years ago that had a 460, Diesel I think and a bigger Ollie. He said they were a nice tractor but he acted like he would still take an ih over it. Can't recall the reason.

I've run a M, Super M, 400, 88, and Super 88 all gas.  Can't go wrong with any of them.  Probably would take the Oliver diesel over the IH diesel.  If Oliver had better ownership/management during the 1960's a lot of people might have an entirely different view of Oliver then White.  The farm equipment division was the cash cow that floated other divisions including White Trucks and White consolidated industries.  Had money been reinvested in farm equipment then Oliver would not have needed to put its 310 engine in the 1855 and 1955 tractors.  They had an approximately 400 CI engine on the board and were working on a CVT during the late 1960's.  The combines such as the 7600 and 7800 were fairly good in design but made cheap with light metal where possible.  The 720 baler knotter made its way into the Hesston centerline baler which carried the Case IH logo and paint scheme until NH came into the pack.  

Ollies were good machines. Their brakes were not so good though. I would take a 450 gasser over the competition.

I am guessing the 88 Super will out pull the 400, it weighted the same I am not so sure that a 450 diesel wouldn’t out pull it. I like the sound of the 88 super. Probably one of the smoothest motors made, but I REALLY LOVE a 450 diesel. Don’t know why but I do. 

I think the novelty of the 88 and the 560 6cyl diesels were a huge draw in their sales vs any 4cyl - i like the 6 cyl sound too i get it

when it comes down to actual work, traction, i would prefer a 450 gasser or lpg, we had a 66 oliver and I dont remember the comfort or seat being any better than a 400/450 - i like the seat on a 560 way better. WE kept the 400 sold the 66.  

The Farmall 450 was a complete piece of junk. Anyone who has one can have me come pick it up as a courtesy and then you can get an Ollie ;)

Seriously though I don't have experience with Olive oil but I like my 450 tractors

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, bitty said:

The Farmall 450 was a complete piece of junk. Anyone who has one can have me come pick it up as a courtesy and then you can get an Ollie ;)

Seriously though I don't have experience with Olive oil but I like my 450 tractors

You can have any of them east of the Mississippi but I want at least one more diesel 450. There’s a 450 gas for sale in Florence Kansas. Motor is locked up 1 decent rear tire. Don’t remember for sure but maybe the wheel was rotted out on the bad side. Pretty straight tin. Don’t remember what hitch it has. Narrow front. 
It’s been a while since I stopped and looked at it. 

Why is there love for 400/450 diesels when compared to an Oliver diesel?  A 450 gas was the most handiest all purpose tractor for the years it was made.  I had one for a short time.  Also I thought the 450 had the same horsepower as the 400.  

5 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Why is there love for 400/450 diesels when compared to an Oliver diesel?  A 450 gas was the most handiest all purpose tractor for the years it was made.  I had one for a short time.  Also I thought the 450 had the same horsepower as the 400.  

We had a 88 Super diesel when I was a kid. Nice enough tractor, but where they put the hydraulic levers left a lot to be desired. Also had several Cockshutt 570 Super tractors back then. Same transmission but the 570 was WAY more impressive. 
Guess my love for the 450 diesel comes from finally figuring out how to start them!! The 450 was easier on fuel then the Oliver. 

• Like 1

450 gas has slightly bigger engine and a few more hp. Not sure on the diesels. 

Brakes were the weak point on the Olivers until the 1600 and bigger tractors.  The power was good but you better hang on tight coming off a rise of any sort.  Always liked any of the 4 cylinder IH's.

5 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

450 gas has slightly bigger engine and a few more hp. Not sure on the diesels. 

According to the Nebraska tests, the gas 450 had 4 more hp then the 400 and the diesel 450 had 2 more hp.  Not really a lot going from one series to another.  

• Thanks 1