Would you trade for a zero?

3 hours ago, N S said:

Would love to find one like that, the tractor, not the driver. Consider this all you fine IH lovers. Consider that this is called "Progress".

The older tractor pictured can be operated buy ONE hand & arm.

A zero turn requires "TWO" - so the really important question is - In a zero turn - How the heck are ya supposed to hold onto your beer?????

that is why you get a country clipper = joystick drive and the other you can drink or wave at neighbors and not leave crooked lines https://www.countryclipper.com/learn-more/exclusive-features.aspx#joystick

• Like 1

Honestly? There's no way I'd trade my super z 60" zero turn for that. You want to keep the cub to go get the mail then do so. Far as mowing grass, ain't nobody got time for dat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had a cub just like that with the woods 48" rotary deck under it. My A with a L306 6' has twice the power per " of cutting width as that underpowered cub was 

We had a 60 Cubcadet, 54” JD and a 60” kubota diesel 4x4.  These yellow zero turns (with steering wheels so I can sip coffee and text while driving) are hands down, 10x more comfortable and a solid 25% faster at getting things done. Don’t knock it till you try it.   

A46B0682-0456-489C-9302-783A3E24F409.jpeg

FDC67A3A-1C9B-4C3D-9030-1C2058375BC7.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stronger800 said:

We had a 60 Cubcadet, 54” JD and a 60” kubota diesel 4x4.  These yellow zero turns (with steering wheels so I can sip coffee and text while driving) are hands down, 10x more comfortable and a solid 25% faster at getting things done. Don’t knock it till you try it.   

A46B0682-0456-489C-9302-783A3E24F409.jpeg

FDC67A3A-1C9B-4C3D-9030-1C2058375BC7.jpeg

WHAT BRAND ARE THEY....

3 hours ago, Lars (midessa) said:

That gal on the cub needs some sun, she lookin a tad pale.

WHEN THE SUN GETS HOT THE TOP COMES OFF....LOL

• Haha 1

I have a zero, wife  likes it she takes care of the lawn we had a cub with a belly mower when I was a kid It did a good job as I recall 

I have had this one 2 months now.  Last Friday night, I mowed in 1 evening what took the cub cadet 2 1/2 evenings.  Still love the cadets, just need to mow faster!  Use the woods belly mower for the large open spaces.

20210512_190437.jpg

I might keep the Cub but I ain't tradin by Bota!  ( web pic)

Visual search query image
  •  
  •  
  • Visual Search

• Like 4

Tom, I am jealous of a Kubota F Series, I can't really justify it, but I have wanted one for years. Missed out on a trade in last fall on a 3060, with cab, mower, blade, broom, and blower. Just missed out on a GF1800 with mower and blower, the other week at an auction in New Holland. Timing just hasn't worked out, but I figured that is a sign from a higher power that it is not meant to be right now.

Back to the original post. Depends on how much and what you are mowing. At my house I cut my mowing time in half when I got my zero turn, due to all the trees and other obstacles to mow around. At my garage, I use an old IH  Cub Cadet, 10 hp with a 44" deck. I fire up tractor, while it is warming up, I light a cigar, drop it in first year and enjoy the next hour going back and forth! One thing I didn't like about a mower on any Cub tractor was the lack of a live PTO, using the sickle bar on the Cub for trimming edges I could never get used to that.

I am also a fan of the Cub Cadet zero turns with the steering wheel, I have an SZ SX48 , I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice used 54" , that extra 6" on the left edge would make trimming around things easier .

I do like the matching outfit on the model !?

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Here's what I use for a beverage holder. Got in in some scrap from a farm sale, added the magnet. Works on any tractor!

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

nice, nickle, brass, aluminum, iron, epoxy ( presumed to stick get magnet to brass ) and polyester and a few hops in there great job of repurposing 

Ever run one like in my pics? Most guys haven’t even seen them. It’s zero turn just like a lap bar machine, with added electric power steering that runs the front wheels to, so you can ride a side hill without wheels drifting. Four wheel steer. 35hp 72”. I have been slowly converting a few long time lap bar guys that mow town parks and schools, etc, dealer sent them to see what the steering wheel machines would do, now they have them as well.

I demoed  diesel lap bar machines. Holding a wheel, is one handed. 

• Like 1

I think the saying is opinions are like a** holes...but since I bought my first one I love zero turns.  No way would I go to an underpowered awkward tractor with a belly mower.  I've never run a zero turn with the steering wheel.  They look like they'd be nice to run.  I have a really great dealer in my area that sells cub cadet but I think all the zero turns he sells are ExMark and Hustler, never seen a Cub zero turn in his dealership.  The very first mower I bought was a Cub Cadet lawn tractor...that left a bad taste in my mouth for the new Cub Cadet stuff.

I find ZTR's with a steering wheel to be a club, don't see the point and when you compare them to a scag, toro commerical or some others(especially ones with low/high speed) with bars the spin time is longer as is the upkeep over the long run.  I also never understood the hill thing either............I run my Toro Commercial Diesel z-master on hills that most would not even mow, have no issues getting around with good tires.  I think alot of it comes from people not programming in their brain to crawl across a hill the down hill wheel motor has to run FASTER than the uphill motor, so you bars will be in a TURNING mode to go straight.  With all that said, when I was at the dealership a bunch went out the doors with steering wheels...................I hated selling them myself, as the potential buyer would always ask, "Well, what do you have..............."  It was hard to try to sell something I wouldn't buy myself.  

Here is a picture of one like I have,

Z Master® Professional 7000 Series | Toro Australia : Create a Greater  Outdoors

• Like 1

I went from a 3 point 72” mower on a 40 hp tractor to a 52” used commercial 24 hp ExMark mower.  With the 72”, mowing time was always 2 hours.  With the 52” z turn mowing time is now 2 1/2 hours, but only need to trim every other time I mow.  It takes less time to trim because I can mow closer to everything. The tractor never ran out of power in tall grass where the z turn is somewhat power limited.  A suspension seat helped the ride on the z turn, but I still am speed limited by my rough yard when it is dry.  On side slopes I learned to set my speed with the downhill lever and steer with the uphill lever.  All in all, I prefer the z turn because of less turf damage and reduced trimming.  Brian

19 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

nice, nickle, brass, aluminum, iron, epoxy ( presumed to stick get magnet to brass ) and polyester and a few hops in there great job of repurposing 

No epoxy, magnet mounted with a single 1/4" stud.

This is one of my favorite "stupid little things" I've come up with for quite awhile!

• Like 1

Typically, I mow my lawn 1 to 3 times per year with a Woods BB840. This year, my mother bought a used 29 hp Turf Tiger for the farm, and I've mowed it three times in three weeks. I'm noticing a trend. 

not that i have one but i have used one plenty - i like the zero turns, take some getting used to an all brands a lil diff in characteristics, from the 3 diff units i have ran, deere, grasshopper and country clipper the side hill slippage was helped considerably with the soft chevron pattern tires on the grasshopper the other two have turn tires and slid a lot especially on the wet grass or side hills. I like the decks that stick out front and mow first ahead of teh tires they get up under trees/bushes really well and dont scratch you up or knock your hat off so easily