Soda bottle silencer?

vtfireman85

Asking for a friend, but have any of you had any luck with soda bottle silencers for rimfire, I have heard of doing it but have never tried.  

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Asking for a friend, but have any of you had any luck with soda bottle silencers for rimfire, I have heard of doing it but have never tried.  

My colleague stated a balloon also works. I've not tried either; let us know how it works.

1 minute ago, New Englander said:

My colleague stated a balloon also works. I've not tried either; let us know how it works.

Sounds like a prank to me

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

Sounds like a prank to me

Ha! Could be. He's generally not the prank type. Maybe he was ready to get a good laugh at my expense.

I went the legal route with a DeadAir and a TBAC but I do remember the movie Shooter. 

I wouldn't want to cross Jimmy Lee Swager?

• Like 1

You tube has a bit on this, you say rimfire you mean 22? The theory is one shot only (obviously) a 9 would sound like a 38, a 45 would sound not much different, I also think the mess would be detrimental to cleanups. Are they legal where you are? I saw tests on hand gun decibel ratings with a silencer and it’s nothing like hooeyweird where middle of the night you wouldn’t wake up the bed partner, still quite loud, but the crack is missing.

A guy in town threaded the end of the barrel of his 22 and screwed on a lawnmower muffler. His house is on the edge of town, so to be able to shoot anything around his sheds, he had to be quiet. He did that 20-25 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A 3 liter soda bottle will make a 22 fairly quiet for 1 shot. After that it’s not as quiet and this works only for subsonic rounds. Accuracy is also not very good. A friend and myself used this in boarding school to pass time after I snuck my 22 into my room and hid it in my mattress. Lots of Mountain Dew had to be drunk to have silencers which kept us awake way to long…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

A 3 liter soda bottle will make a 22 fairly quiet for 1 shot. After that it’s not as quiet and this works only for subsonic rounds. Accuracy is also not very good. A friend and myself used this in boarding school to pass time after I snuck my 22 into my room and hid it in my mattress. Lots of Mountain Dew had to be drunk to have silencers which kept us awake way to long…..

When we lived in town our house had a full basement, I bought a Henry lever 22 with a magnum scope, the utility side of the basement opened into the garage, so it was a distance of about 35 feet, I wanted to sight the scope in so I used shorts and because they were shorts the tube wouldn’t allow the reload so I had to hand feed each one then fire, pretty quiet pop pop pop, mother couldn’t really hear much so I didn’t worry about outside.

• Like 2

most bbls are threaded 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 depending on caliber and barrel size. 

If you google a certain adaptor and scroll down to where it says "people who bought this also bought" it shows a Fram oil filter. ?

Draw your own conclusions. 

Unlike my pickups and tractors, my firearms did not come with an oil filter part number. 

As far as getting the most out of a suppressor, like @NY1468 says, subsonic rounds are the key. 

• Thanks 1

Seems like I remember a potato and 22 . It was after a lengthy poker game years ago. There were some city squirrels involved and the law didn't show up.

A little fuzzy on the details though

• Haha 5

This came second hand from a crew that spot lighted a lot of deer 40 and 50 years ago. A block  off Styrofoam around the barrel. 

The having a block of it always made me wonder what you did for a site. Not like a real silencer but kept a lot of people from hearing a shot.

41 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

my first thought is WHY/Application are you trying to use a silencer in the first place? 

is there are reason for it or just the novelty? 

For me it about reducing/taking the edge off the report to be easier on my hearing. 

I have never been comfortable with something on my ears. Now, I wear electronic for as long as I can put up with it.

If I had shot suppressed since a kid, my hearing would be much better now. 

• Like 2

22cb rounds are pretty quiet buy themselves. Rifles are also quieter than pistols. Honestly, subsonic 22lr from a 20 inch barrel is not very loud.

I understand many government types use suppressed 22lr rifles for discreet shots in urban combat around the world. Including Russia, Israel, etc. These are special purpose guns, not standard military issue.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The oil filter adapter is to catch the oil as it runs out of the barrel. You clean the gun and use as much oil as you like then put the filter on and put the gun in your safe with the barrel pointed down. Excess oil does not spill in your safe.

just sayin what I was told.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

my first thought is WHY/Application are you trying to use a silencer in the first place? 

is there are reason for it or just the novelty? 

Trying not to be noticed.or my friend is anyway…

Acem has it bb or cb cap, you will just hear the firing pin, can even see the bullet leave 

• Like 1

We have played around with the soda bottle. It works.   I guess you have to define “works” . 
We used a decibel meter when we tested it.  
Yes it’s goofy ,yes it only works a couple times, yes it looks dumb, no it’s not near as good as a purpose built professionally made one. No I wouldn’t recommend it.

In truth a subsonic 22LR target round from a rifle is pretty quiet. My kids, especially my daughter, would go through boxes of them and never bother anyone.

Well not sure what he is after trying to shoot undetected or wanting some add on, undetected is fine but where does that lead end up might be worth more consideration 

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

Well not sure what he is after trying to shoot undetected or wanting some add on, undetected is fine but where does that lead end up might be worth more consideration 

Lead ending up somewhere is not an issue, animal is small range would be close.