Td9-91. Steering clutches seized or not?

1 hour ago, Dave Mac said:

Are you going to take the good one out while you are there ? Only one of mine was stuck but I was advised to clean up the good one and I am pleased I did.  

If it ain't broke don't fix it, I know from the past that I will end up breaking something, forgetting something or doing my self serious harm if I take the "while your at it " approach.? 

• Like 1

Keep cleaning you clutch disc. they look to be in very good shape. hopefully you can save them all.

Be carefully with the fiber ones, don't get to rough with them.

I have never seen a brake drum worn that much, brake must have been dragging all it life.

General Gear may have a good used drum

• Like 2

I would run the parts you showed. Unless you thing your going to run a 1000 hours a year.

The last Cat D6 I worked on I used plates that had quarter size pieces of fiber that had stuck to the steel plate. I said this is the back up to the back up tractor, well it is the one I use the most. But still only a 100 hours a year. It has been about 5 years without even adjusting, but that is dew soon.

As a poor farmer I have stacked more than just one extra fiber and steel plate in stack of clutch discs going back in. Gave no trouble for a number of years. When it was time to work on it again the drive teeth where very pointy and ready to fail.

• Like 2

Hi td9bcf180

Here is a photo of my drum, clutch assembly about to be refitted. I notice my brake drum surface area is not recessed like yours, but it is out of a BTD6 so it may be slightly different.  I think your discs look fine, I cleaned my steel discs with a portable angle grinder with a Flexi sander on it, and the fibre ones with coarse sandpaper on a flat surface. I also cleaned up the splines in the hub and drum and sprayed them lightly with a can of Rocol copper anti seize.

2F7BD7D0-3EB0-4D24-8728-A893F4C1718C.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave Mac said:

Hi td9bcf180

Here is a photo of my drum, clutch assembly about to be refitted. I notice my brake drum surface area is not recessed like yours, but it is out of a BTD6 so it may be slightly different.  I think your discs look fine, I cleaned my steel discs with a portable angle grinder with a Flexi sander on it, and the fibre ones with coarse sandpaper on a flat surface. I also cleaned up the splines in the hub and drum and sprayed them lightly with a can of Rocol copper anti seize.

2F7BD7D0-3EB0-4D24-8728-A893F4C1718C.jpeg

Why is the one bolt up a little and no lock washer?

Thanks for the advice. Other than the drum, this spare clutch seems to be in good shape.  I still have the original clutches to remove from the 56 TD9-91 and the new dozer (51 TD-9) I bought has one clutch seized up, too.  Have to find the time to get at all these projects and get them done.

6 hours ago, busted knuckles said:

Why is the one bolt up a little and no lock washer?

That bolt is one of three used to compress the spring for installation. When the clutch is back in the tractor they will be removed.

Cheers

58 minutes ago, Dave Mac said:

That bolt is one of three used to compress the spring for installation. When the clutch is back in the tractor they will be removed.

Cheers

Being as you bought that up, can the plates for that be just flat stock or do they need a little return on them? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, busted knuckles said:

ah, your right, I see it now, thought you might have missed one and thought I would warn you. ☺️

Thank you, I am pleased someone is looking over my shoulder !

?

1 hour ago, busted knuckles said:

Being as you bought that up, can the plates for that be just flat stock or do they need a little return on them? Thanks!

Hi Busted

If you are talking about those little flat plates I have seen people use to compress the spring, you don’t need them. If you screw in the right length bolts 7/16 UNC 2-5/8” long they compress the spring by pushing the spring retainer in. The problem was I couldn’t buy those HT bolts threaded all the way so I had to take them to a machine shop who sorted it out and they work fine. Hope this is helpful.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I dismantled the seized RH clutch today, it was surprisingly easy but lots of rust. Looks to be in good condition so just a good clean up and refit both of them. The big nut that holds the main shaft in the hub was really loose, that seems to be a common issue, obviously not staked  correctly. When I assembled the LH clutch I used locktite on the thread and made sure the nut was securely locked. fingers crossed !

C7E4CA84-13C4-4C82-BD96-357623B809D7.jpeg

D084E476-65AA-43C6-92BB-1A0AE6669E64.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking good. after a few weeks pushing and pulling on rusted brake pins and a rusted clutch yoke pivot bolt, I will have a steer clutch out of my 150B today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, just Dave said:

Looking good. after a few weeks pushing and pulling on rusted brake pins and a rusted clutch yoke pivot bolt, I will have a steer clutch out of my 150B today.

Good things take time, the impossible takes longer !

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 5:48 PM, mike newman said:

...Yes   Dave......fired up the old 91 series  , week or so ago.....guess what..one clutch is not releasing....and as I have denuded the old girl of "pig iron "...can't be poking at trees....in an endeavour  to free that sucker......and shed stored   also.......

Mike

...see you like old Ford  trucks ???...Here is one 4x4...and have another 4x2 F250..or is the liking for  BIG   Ford trucks.....??

post-157-1204530847.jpg

Hi Mike

Understand it’s been a bit wet up your way ? Hope it is improving. Do you know where I can get a belt drive pulley for my 1950 Farmall M ?

Cheers

Dave

On 7/6/2021 at 5:48 PM, mike newman said:

...Yes   Dave......fired up the old 91 series  , week or so ago.....guess what..one clutch is not releasing....and as I have denuded the old girl of "pig iron "...can't be poking at trees....in an endeavour  to free that sucker......and shed stored   also.......

Mike

...see you like old Ford  trucks ???...Here is one 4x4...and have another 4x2 F250..or is the liking for  BIG   Ford trucks.....??

post-157-1204530847.jpg

Hi Mike

Understand it’s been a bit wet up your way ? Hope it is improving. Do you know where I can get a belt drive pulley for my 1950 Farmall M ?

Cheers

Dave

18 minutes ago, Dave Mac said:

Hi Mike

Cheers

Dave

Hullo Dave.....did you want one...or two......???...:rolleyes:

...I am down  at the Rainbow Station...battling   flood damage...but it is WET  ...everywhere....(got a post on Coffee shop  re work...)..

..I should have a spare pulley ...or two.....The W/WD6   have the same pulley..I have a heap of stuff...at home of course...I will look for you, when I get back

...PM your phone # ..please

Mike

3 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Hullo Dave.....did you want one...or two......???...:rolleyes:

...I am down  at the Rainbow Station...battling   flood damage...but it is WET  ...everywhere....(got a post on Coffee shop  re work...)..

..I should have a spare pulley ...or two.....The W/WD6   have the same pulley..I have a heap of stuff...at home of course...I will look for you, when I get back

...PM your phone # ..please

Mike

Hi Mike 

That sounds great my M has a FE loader on it, so the pulley must have been removed at some stage to clear the Frame, now I am removing the loader so I want to get it back to original. Also do you know if the intake tube from the air filter to the carby should be flexible ducting or metal with rubber hose at each end with hose clips for attachment ? Ph No is 0274324776.

Had  look at your photos of the flood waters etc. Wow big project, sad about the situation with the bureaucrats. They won’t give up until no one is doing anything worthwhile without consent etc etc.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I removed the right steering clutch out of my TD9 today and its froze up,i got the clutch all apart but will have to replace the clutches. does anyone know were to get any or do they make after market clutches the will fit.  From the looks of the right side i will also have to do the left side to. I just replaced the 282 engine and pretty much have to fix it know.  

My Drott.jpeg