The unofficial snake thread

yellowrosefarm

5 hours ago, 1466IH said:

Oh how badly I wish I would have been there. Which neighbors dog made it over? Gonna have to go rehome it. My kind of dog!! 

It was at the Percy place, she was helping me move equipment back home and decided to go fishing for a while on our last trip. It was the Jack Russel Terrier that belongs to the dairy farm next door. That dog moved in when we did. Then we moved out and then the daughter of the dairy farm moved in with her family, so that dog only goes home to the dairy is when the kids are in school and get off the bus there.

l posted this pic a couple months ago here on RP. lt was caught on the next street over from my house close to Dyess AFB.

1825288383_Tyesnake-3-29-21.JPG.568126d560b9be924315281707c638a0.JPG

My wife's boss went out to check the water trough for her horses and saw this rattler getting a drink. She went and got her 410 gauge and sent the snake to rattler heaven or wherever they go...

1511197669_snakedrinkingfrmwatertrough.thumb.jpg.2cf10f20c0eb3e7676aafe6ac6159cb2.jpg

• Like 1

Arizona, I luv ya but if you have enough rattle snakes to put out this brochure....................................

............................you have too damn many rattle snakes??

969505784_snakesrattle.thumb.jpg.119bab094ad7545b3b50640e989e9086.jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well who knows just how true, but have been told all my life a King snake will kill or run off rattle snakes.  So they are tolerated.................................... not liked.

I also question charts like the above by Jeff. They are using color to identify the different varieties.   I think we are to only have western diamondback in central California. But have heard experts say they think we have a lot hybrids from the Mojave's moving in. All I can say is I have killed greener ones than any shown, as well black ones like the Arizona black. 

I was told they change color with the seasons here. Green in spring when grass is still green. But I never had penned up one to watch. I don't think I have known anyone so crazy as to keep one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ray54 said:

never had penned up one to watch. I don't think I have known anyone so crazy as to keep one.

Local hunting club had a caretaker who kept rattlesnakes in the basement in a pen all year long. He was also carying a feed sack once with his catch and the guy walking behind him informed him that he had a hole in his sack. 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

When I was in ND (🥱🥱) I was sitting on the concrete foundation of a grain bin watching grain being augered from a truck into a quonset. 

In my semi aery state I looked doen to see a green snake about as thick as my finger coiling around my boot and up my leg.

Well I'm  scared of heights but I Surely jumped as high as a grain bin. Surprised I didn't  decorate my shorts.

I guess it was a grass snake of some type?

I seem to remember Mike saying that there were no rattlers east of the Missouri?

Is that correct?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pid 1831 said:

When I was in ND (🥱🥱) I was sitting on the concrete foundation of a grain bin watching grain being augered from a truck into a quonset. 

In my semi aery state I looked doen to see a green snake about as thick as my finger coiling around my boot and up my leg.

Well I'm  scared of heights but I Surely jumped as high as a grain bin. Surprised I didn't  decorate my shorts.

I guess it was a grass snake of some type?

I seem to remember Mike saying that there were no rattlers east of the Missouri?

Is that correct?

Most eastern states have some type of rattlesnake.  A fair number are not aggressive around humans so you don't tend to see them unless you cross paths with one.