806 starter on 560

hagan

My girlfriends sons 560 would not start with the starter even with a new battery and the old starter which was worn out. I was at a tractor place and found him a used 806 starter and he put it on his 560 and OMG it spins it like never before. Starts like never before. He is really happy with it.

Now my 560 on the loader has a starter we put on new about in 1996 when i got my kids back and it just didn't start good at all. I even put a group 31 battery on it and still pretty hard to get started. So went to the tractor place and they had a 1466 starter and i purchased it and WOW it now seems like SUPERMAN grabbed ahold of the PTO and gave it a whirl as it spins like never before. If you have a 560 Diesel this is the best improvement you can do to the starting of the tractor. I think i will be forever happy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, hagan said:

My girlfriends sons 560 would not start with the starter even with a new battery and the old starter which was worn out. I was at a tractor place and found him a used 806 starter and he put it on his 560 and OMG it spins it like never before. Starts like never before. He is really happy with it.

Now my 560 on the loader has a starter we put on new about in 1996 when i got my kids back and it just didn't start good at all. I even put a group 31 battery on it and still pretty hard to get started. So went to the tractor place and they had a 1466 starter and i purchased it and WOW it now seems like SUPERMAN grabbed ahold of the PTO and gave it a whirl as it spins like never before. If you have a 560 Diesel this is the best improvement you can do to the starting of the tractor. I think i will be forever happy

Wonder if one would fit on my 450 ;)

• Like 1

Good Idea,  We Had a 706 Gas that needed an engine,  The finale Power plant was a 301 out of a 715 ( Some of you folks Know this story)

We Had a Terrible time getting the correct teeth of the starter to match the Flywheel on the 301.

A 544 Gas Hydro Starter was the Starter Motor & gear that was a match to the 715/301 engine.

I didn't think of trying a 966 Starter,  That would have probably Worked.

The 544 Gas Hydro starter was a Large version of a 706 gas starter, in cold weather the Hydro Unit oil needs more Power to start the 4 Cylinder engine.

I think we had a New 706 Diesel 282 flywheel that had a balanced Clutch assembly available,.... that unit was bolted into the final assembly.

Jim Droscha

• Like 1

We rebuilt starters all the time for years. We saved tons of used parts and had a fair supply of new to make a delco work in a pinch. We used to keep a few different tooth count drives. I think there was a 9 , 10 ,11 tooth for most mid size delco. They also had  a couple opposite rotation drives. We used to swap drives in and out starters to make it fit application. When I say starters I think there is a pile of 150 or so used ones yet in a pile.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bitty said:

Wonder if one would fit on my 450 ;)

yes but if you do you need to start it with duals on cause it might turn the tractor over 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

We rebuilt starters all the time for years. We saved tons of used parts and had a fair supply of new to make a delco work in a pinch. We used to keep a few different tooth count drives. I think there was a 9 , 10 ,11 tooth for most mid size delco. They also had  a couple opposite rotation drives. We used to swap drives in and out starters to make it fit application. When I say starters I think there is a pile of 150 or so used ones yet in a pile.

so should we start calling you starter hoarder ? 

• Haha 3

I’ve had a short starter off a 706 on my 1066 for around 10 years.  It starts just as good as before.      When I bought my 1256 it hadn’t ran for atleast 5 years and it neeeded the starter rebuilt. So I took it off and was gonna have it rebuilt and I put on I had on the shelf that had already been rebuilt on it. We messed with the tractor for a couple hours and couldn’t get it to even try to start. We finally realized the starter was one off a John Deere, probably like a 4430,  and the spin the opposite way.  We put the rebuilt original on and it started up in 5 mins of trying

Starter from 915 combine will work on an 806 diesel but the 1400 series combines spin the opposite direction.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

No most were jd 4020 or 2 cyl Deere starters. Although About 1/2 were Ihc tractor and Chevy pickup starters. 

The epic JD 3/4020 starter would make a mountain out of these junk ones 

• Like 1

Back when I had my 606 diesel it needed a starter. I got one from Hoober's that wasn't cheap. Parts guy said it fit several models, anyway it spun the D236 over fast enough to show on the tach . It was always hard to start before and after I installed the new starter I never had a problem getting it going.

3 hours ago, bitty said:

The epic JD 3/4020 starter would make a mountain out of these junk ones 

That’s what we did a lot of. Swapping 24 volt to 12 volt. We actually used to ground the one pole on the 24 volt starter and make some true 24 volt systems . You had to put a 24 volt regulator in a delco alternator and run your accessories of a feed wire from first battery. It made for a good starting cheap fix. The only problem being you were running 12 volt lights ,if you ran a lot of night time alternator had a tuff time keeping up. You were drawing from a battery it could not tell was being drawn hard.

19 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Good Idea,  We Had a 706 Gas that needed an engine,  The finale Power plant was a 301 out of a 715 ( Some of you folks Know this story)

We Had a Terrible time getting the correct teeth of the starter to match the Flywheel on the 301.

A 544 Gas Hydro Starter was the Starter Motor & gear that was a match to the 715/301 engine.

I didn't think of trying a 966 Starter,  That would have probably Worked.

The 544 Gas Hydro starter was a Large version of a 706 gas starter, in cold weather the Hydro Unit oil needs more Power to start the 4 Cylinder engine.

I think we had a New 706 Diesel 282 flywheel that had a balanced Clutch assembly available,.... that unit was bolted into the final assembly.

Jim Droscha

Jim, you're scaring me a bit. Why didn't you use the flywheel from the 263? I'm getting close to putting my 756 back together, going to use the flywheel from the 291. If this won't work a heads up would be great!

6 hours ago, Jsmith8940 said:

I’ve had a short starter off a 706 on my 1066 for around 10 years.  It starts just as good as before.      When I bought my 1256 it hadn’t ran for atleast 5 years and it neeeded the starter rebuilt. So I took it off and was gonna have it rebuilt and I put on I had on the shelf that had already been rebuilt on it. We messed with the tractor for a couple hours and couldn’t get it to even try to start. We finally realized the starter was one off a John Deere, probably like a 4430,  and the spin the opposite way.  We put the rebuilt original on and it started up in 5 mins of trying

5 hours ago, Timothy56 said:

Starter from 915 combine will work on an 806 diesel but the 1400 series combines spin the opposite direction.

We changed lots of JD tractors to 12 volt. Had a farm supply store in town that had rebuilt starters for 150. For guys that didn’t want to spend piles of money this was a cheap option. For 250 you had a starter , alternator ready to use. Well this was all well until I was switching a well worn 3020 over. Wrong starter in box , I put it on spun tractor a bit and noticed fan turning backwards and engine won’t start. Took starter off got right one put it on no start yet. Had to take oil pump and injector pump off and reinstall oil pump drive it. Was worn enough that backwards cam movement brought it up.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

so should we start calling you starter hoarder ? 

Should have seen the old auto electric shop we used to use. You walked in and there was just paths other than the office book and the work area. Everything else was starters, alternators, generators and magnetos awaiting pickup. The above listed waiting to be rebuilt. And all the junk there for parts. I remember one time going in for a alternator. We needed it going. Guy goes "Give me a minute ". Opens up a sliding door and in there was this pile of parts. Filled the room, had a walkway around the pile was it. Pile was probably 5 ft tall. I'll be damned in that mess in 3 or 4 minutes he comes back with the part he needed. Slapped it together, worked. In fact its still working. 

Guy retired 4 years ago. As far as I know the building is still full of his stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Jim, you're scaring me a bit. Why didn't you use the flywheel from the 263? I'm getting close to putting my 756 back together, going to use the flywheel from the 291. If this won't work a heads up would be great!

Our 706 263 Flywheel had too many Heat cracks in the Clutch face, Also needed a new Starter Ring.

I thought We knew something about the different Starter teeth Numbers,  But i don't!!

Interesting Topic,  I was at a local Farm Auction,   The Junk Wagons,   had a good selection of boxes of IH parts,  and other Wagons had "Left on the Dirt floor" Piles of parts.

I Happen to notice several Plastic Milk cartons stacked together with on the "dirt Floor parts,"   they were starter cores & Solenoids,   I purchased several Milk crates for $20.00 each.  A bunch of used Starter drives & New Solenoids in the boxes buried in the bottom of the plastic Crates, Below the Dirty & Oily Starter Motors,

I Have Played with several Complete Starters, all Appear to fit Large 06-56 & 66 series Tractors.

Stripped threaded Copper Connections, Starter Solenoid bolt Heads rounded off, Ect.... Not Major Problems for most fella's to repair.

I might have a Starter Drive in our New acquired collection to fit our 706 / 301 Flywheel,  The 544 Starter Spins the engine good!

My Son, "Cooter" on this site,  Went to A Mechanical School in Lima, Ohio Many years ago,  Of all the things he learned was Starter repair,

He Stands the Starter Housings on there nose in our Extra Large Vice, in a short period of time the complete assembly has been Disassembled & Diagnosed.

Most of the internal Bushings need lubrication & The Brush assembles Cleaned and pivot points Cleaned.

Reassemble the unit,    power with 12volts,    these units spin like Brand New,    Makes a Father Proud!!!

My 2 Cents,  Jim Droscha

• Like 1

I Have a Question About Starters, around 1966, My Dad's 400 Gas needed a starter,  Local salvage yard had a large selection of Farmall Tractors.

A quick stroll to the long line of red paint Tractors,   He had a Diesel "M" sitting with the head missing,   3 bolts on the starter housing, Super "M"???

This Starter motor was Very Large!!,  The starter did have a starter switch attached,  but my Dad Modified the connection to fit the 400.

Started the tractor that Saturday afternoon, Was on the tractor Till My Brother restored the 400 in 2002.

Other Fellas remarked over the years, Where did that large motor come from??

Other folks said that the Motor was off a Construction Unit,

I Haven't seen another Starter Motor that large,  It might of Had a Gear reduction at the nose of the unit,

It Had a Distinct Sound when Cranking in cold Weather,  That Tractor always started in the Coldest Winters, Starter Motor Never Ran Long.

Thanks,  "Inquiring Minds need to Know",........Jim Droscha

1 hour ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

My Son, "Cooter" on this site,  Went to A Mechanical School in Lima, Ohio Many years ago,  Of all the things he learned was Starter repair,

University of Northwest Ohio? I'm a grad of there. 2002-2004.

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

University of Northwest Ohio? I'm a grad of there. 2002-2004.

Yes, My Son Jeremy Droscha Graduated from Northwest,  1997-1999.

Received a Full year free from the National FFA Foundation,  Jeremy Won the State FFA ag Mechanics Contest his Senior year in High School.

Great School in Lima, Ohio.

Jim Droscha

• Like 1