1968 Farmall 656

Well was looking for smaller tractor... But a deal fell into our laps we couldn't pass up. We will be bringing my wives great great grampa tractor home. From what I was told he bought it early 80s. It's a gas and runs awesome. I know I was told brakes need to be adjusted or fixed. Has loader cab snow blower as well as all new tires and new set of duels for it.. we got it cheaper than the new tires would've costed... So this is now in the 5th generation same family owned (my son drove it round a little bit)

I know absolutely nothing about bigger tractors or small ones to put it frank. I drive truck and work on semis and ran John Deere front end loaders so figure this old girl won't be much harder.

Not sure how to upload pictures here. It has a westensorf loader that says level matic on it as well as 3 point snow blower duel auger. Well as well the books for it. A full enclosed cab with heater and radio. 

Questions...

What all is needed for a tune up? Can someone point me in right direction of what else should be checked over after sitting for few years?

Hydraulics act like there is air in the system not sure what I can do about that too fix? It's jumpy moving loader up and down

Snapchat-1198659195.jpg

Snapchat-7933625.jpg

Snapchat-222574022.jpg

• Like 3

The tractor runs, so that is a good first step.   If the fuel is old, add some quality fuel additive to it. Or remove the line at the carburetor and drain the old gas out and pour in fresh.  While you have the line off, thread out the screen out of the carburetor and clean. 

Pull the distributor cap off.   Inspect the contacts and clean with emory cloth if necessary.   Inspect and clean the rotor as well.   Shine up both sides of the contacts on the points.  

Warm up the engine oil,  change oil and filter.   Check or replace air filter.  Check the antifreeze level and strength.

Check the level of the hy tran with the dipstick in the floorboard under your feet.  Is it full? Clean?  May need to replace it. Probably a good idea to change the hydraulic filter. 

• Thanks 1

If the brake discs still have decent pads on them, try removing shims.  Be sure to hang them on the wall where you can find them again!

Be sure to clean and shine up the actuator assembly and replace any broken springs. Oil soaked discs indicate a faulty brake pinion shaft seal.

If new discs are required,  some aftermarket replacement discs do not have the grooves extend completely to the outer edge.   This is important for brake dust to escape.   Use  dremel or die grinder to extend them to the edge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

If the brake discs still have decent pads on them, try removing shims.  Be sure to hang them on the wall where you can find them again!

Be sure to clean and shine up the actuator assembly and replace any broken springs. Oil soaked discs indicate a faulty brake pinion shaft seal.

If new discs are required,  some aftermarket replacement discs do not have the grooves extend completely to the outer edge.   This is important for brake dust to escape.   Use  dremel or die grinder to extend them to the edge.

Thank you big time. What's best way to jack these things up? Is it better to do it with the tire on? Not sure how hard it is to take tires on and off or if it's even worth it. Drove it around the yard just few minutes. Absolutely no brakes... Dam near took out a tree with the snow blower. I'm going to want to take that off soon as I get brakes working.

What site do u recommend to be using to buy parts? Can't believe she runs this good for 53 years... Excited to start working on the old girl getting her to shine

Snapchat-514346939.jpg

Snapchat-1592016948.jpg

• Like 3

Leave tires on if possible, could be thousand pounds. Two six by and a twelve ton jack will pick a side up easily. but you should be able to do the brakes with it on the ground. level ground if possible. Cab and the loader will make it a challenge.

• Thanks 1

Took 3 shims off left side and adjusted the right side. We got brakes!!! Pressure washed it whole tractor took off snow blower. Moved 3 cords of cut wood with the kids. Put in few hours of work on the old girl today. Going to start replacing seals next time I'm home to stop the leaks on the tractor engine

Snapchat-1272266121.jpg

Snapchat-480940382.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duntongw said:

Hmmmm, daughter has a pretty good hold on that throttle with a grin. Wait until she gets her license.

Inside looks pretty good, how many hours are on it?

Think it says 7800ish never got any plow pulling or any hard work done. They used it for hay as well as snow blowing. 

She wasnt sitting up where when I was moving just when boys were stacking wood in the bucket lol she thought it was the coolest thing ever tho

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...