Jump to content

Looks almost new again!


vtfireman85
 Share

Recommended Posts

The saab was getting so faded it was chalky, wiping your fingers across the hood and you would get yellow residue. I buffed with polishing compound by hand because I was afraid of burn through and also of getting compound on the top. Waxed 1 coat of mother’s Brazilian Carnauba but now i need to get more, looks pretty good I think and the mothers doesn’t leave white chalky stuff on the plastic, which is nice.    

79FDBC81-B914-4CC3-9FA4-B013057A5EF5.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks good! What year 02 or so?    I miss my Saab, daughter totaled it.......  Might have to get another some day, a 9-5 Aero in black!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TomH said:

Looks good! What year 02 or so?    I miss my Saab, daughter totaled it.......  Might have to get another some day, a 9-5 Aero in black!

99’ 9-3 SE H.O.T.  One of 8 I believe that year and configuration, doesn’t make it worth anymore but its kind of cool. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

The saab was getting so faded it was chalky, wiping your fingers across the hood and you would get yellow residue. I buffed with polishing compound by hand because I was afraid of burn through and also of getting compound on the top. Waxed 1 coat of mother’s Brazilian Carnauba but now i need to get more, looks pretty good I think and the mothers doesn’t leave white chalky stuff on the plastic, which is nice.    

79FDBC81-B914-4CC3-9FA4-B013057A5EF5.jpeg

Wonderful job on that Saab. Now, lets hear more about the caboose. Almost looks like an old MEC crummy.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Was a Saab a good car? Most of the people I talked to put them down, but they do that with most things they don't understand, as a matter of course. I drove one once, back in the 80's. That's all I know about them.

I had a bunch of them, they were reliable, made great power, got very good fuel milage while making that power......................Most of the ones I had were over 100k miles, had one over 200k.  I did have a 9-5 Aero we bought, that was a problem child from the day we picked it up, they were bolting on a turbo..............Should have walked away right there.  They didn't even bolt on the right turbo for a Aero and this was from a well known European shop in up NY state.  Later after working on it myself, came to find out it was wrecked, and the wreck caused all the issues as nothing was repaired right, which isn't the cars fault.  Our last one was '07 9-3 with 2.0/6spd.............bought it as a lease return in 09, had 33k on it..............Ran it to 140k, nothing but tires/oil/filters/one window regulator/two brake jobs................Was hit by a drunk driver that totaled it out in '19.............By far the best bar we ever owned.  

Old guy once told me about Saab's................You have to think like a European, not a American when you work on them....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine was a 02 first generation 9-3 SE (200hp). Bought it in 04 as a CPO with 15K miles, had a few issues but nothing more serious than the A/C compressor. Everything was repaired promptly under warranty and a all but new loaner provided every time. I thought it was a great all around car, handled well ( for front drive) and did well in snow and ice. Hard acceleration in sport mode would give you a lesson on what torque steer is, though not to the point of being dangerous IMO.  It had 145 K on it when it met its demise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Was a Saab a good car? Most of the people I talked to put them down, but they do that with most things they don't understand, as a matter of course. I drove one once, back in the 80's. That's all I know about them.

It is a love em or hate em kind of thing,  they were well built, well engineered but they were their own breed, those that love them are as well. They require a mechanic who understands them, or you are setting yourself up for frustration and money thrown away. I am very fortunate to have a terrific mechanic who does nothing but Saab 2 miles away from me, i took it in for oil change, ac/recharge, over all checkup and state inspection last week. 185 bucks…. He knows his saabs, there is no messing around, and he is very fair. Where i live they still enjoy a loyal cult following.  This one has 136k on it and has never seen winter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Wonderful job on that Saab. Now, lets hear more about the caboose. Almost looks like an old MEC crummy.

Mike

Caboose is my FIL’s office when he is in vt, he’s a snow bird and spends most of his time in GA, my wife has big dreams of using it as an air BnB, one day i am sure we will, has a shower, kitchenette, and bathroom. It is an old D&H caboose, it’s pretty cool, but pretty full. I want to find a passenger car of similar vintage to go with. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In California my Buddy had a Saab Turbo with the engine in the vehicle with the clutch on the front of the engine, drive line went through the oil pan to get to the rear.  Really a strange vehicle.  He was a young Electrical Engineer from IRAN, first car he had ever owned or driven, so he did not know it was strange.   In IRAN his family had people for those chores.  They came to America on the first flight out after the new regime  took power,  lucky enough to convert the Currency to US dollars at a good rate. English was their first language so they fit right in California.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Looks good. Now go put some air in your front tire. ?

Soft ground. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Caboose is my FIL’s office when he is in vt, he’s a snow bird and spends most of his time in GA, my wife has big dreams of using it as an air BnB, one day i am sure we will, has a shower, kitchenette, and bathroom. It is an old D&H caboose, it’s pretty cool, but pretty full. I want to find a passenger car of similar vintage to go with. 

Here is a passenger car to go with it........

IMG_20210619_083016203a.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

It is a love em or hate em kind of thing,  they were well built, well engineered but they were their own breed, those that love them are as well. They require a mechanic who understands them, or you are setting yourself up for frustration and money thrown away. I am very fortunate to have a terrific mechanic who does nothing but Saab 2 miles away from me, i took it in for oil change, ac/recharge, over all checkup and state inspection last week. 185 bucks…. He knows his saabs, there is no messing around, and he is very fair. Where i live they still enjoy a loyal cult following.  This one has 136k on it and has never seen winter. 

We had alot of them around here at one time, had a really good dealer................but the dealer started selling Mazda which put off most of the Saab customers and they all moved on to BMW for the most part.  IMO they had a worse time selling Mazda's and finally folded.   Was a independent mechanic here that had a garage called the "Swedish Underground" that was Saab heaven, but is gone as well.  Don't see many anymore.  I got my sisters '98 9-3 yet I am going to get going for my boys to drive around in, an American worked on it, rolled in new bearings, timing chain in the 2.3, and main seals............Went to start it and its locked up.  I am hoping they got the main caps on backwards, not sure if that is possible on a 2.3 or not, because I never had that issue when I had them apart?  Time will tell.  Sad thing is its auto..............I sure miss rowing gears with that turbo..............Everyone rants and raves about BMW's turbo'ed inline..........I think my 2.3 aero would have ate my wifes Beemer we got now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...