price of organic cows for kill

pt756

i wonder whats up now. guy was at local sale barn today, big dairy sale every wednesday, said a organic dairy herd went thru, decent cows, he said every cow went for kill, guy averaged 2 k for his herd, guy claims organic cows for meat 1. 60 a pound,

Crazy, no animal can be slaughtered if it tests positive for antibiotics

• Like 4

Just because they are "organic" doesn't mean they can't use antibiotics

im the eternal pessimist - no such thing as organic cow - you mean to tell me the cow knew each blade of grass, weed, kernel of corn, soybean, or whatever else pellet came its way was non GMO or run off from the neighbors had pesticide or herbicide in the creek or pond or drift or whatever happens. What about the cows DNA, was it ever modified or parents ever eaten something inorganic? 

you can claim all you want but doesnt make it true

• Like 3

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

im the eternal pessimist - no such thing as organic cow - you mean to tell me the cow knew each blade of grass, weed, kernel of corn, soybean, or whatever else pellet came its way was non GMO or run off from the neighbors had pesticide or herbicide in the creek or pond or drift or whatever happens. What about the cows DNA, was it ever modified or parents ever eaten something inorganic? 

you can claim all you want but doesnt make it true

I’m even more of a pessimist. Got a local farm that is ‘organic’   They own 2 or 3 of them plus a large conventional dairy at the home place. Constantly see feed trucks running between farms and heifers are raised on the home farm. Moved to the ‘organic’ place about mid gestation. 

• Like 3

Not necessarily organic but drug free catttle bring more in some sales barns. Drug free means no bovatech, penicillin or medicine and stuff like that. They can still be vaccinated kill cows will bring 10 cents more as drug free.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Not necessarily organic but drug free catttle bring more in some sales barns. Drug free means no bovatech, penicillin or medicine and stuff like that. They can still be vaccinated kill cows will bring 10 cents more as drug free.

oh i dont disagree there, trouble is, just like free range chicken marketing or non antibiotic milk, while there is a degree of goodness and betterment to that stuff most people do not understand the reality of what it would take to produce a truly FREE OF ALL to make something TOTALLY NATURAL the term organic is overused and embellished. 

I get a kick out of the stuff they are pushing with the term organic on it. Dont forget to go to treehugger.com and get your organic toilet paper woot woot - no i did NOT make that up. 

https://www.treehugger.com/best-eco-friendly-toilet-paper-5111880

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

oh i dont disagree there, trouble is, just like free range chicken marketing or non antibiotic milk, while there is a degree of goodness and betterment to that stuff most people do not understand the reality of what it would take to produce a truly FREE OF ALL to make something TOTALLY NATURAL the term organic is overused and embellished. 

I get a kick out of the stuff they are pushing with the term organic on it. Dont forget to go to treehugger.com and get your organic toilet paper woot woot - no i did NOT make that up. 

Not quite what I was expecting on that site. Where's the bag of shelled corn cobs? I heard pinecones are good for getting rid of 'roids. Didn't see those listed either. Was going to claim that the tree huggers must be Pampered these days, but those end up in a landfill so, no go.

Man, I guess I'll never understand how to be hip.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Question is 2 part, how do you know about organic TP sources in the first place, and 2 how did they fair in the great TP shortage of 2020? 

I have a strong feeling that the way things are going things like toilet paper are going to become currency. Everyone laughed and made fun of people who hoarded it, but they'll have the last laugh

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Question is 2 part, how do you know about organic TP sources in the first place, and 2 how did they fair in the great TP shortage of 2020? 

i dont know zip about them and i dont care much honestly,  i have a rag and water to wash things that need tending - some folks just use their hand in other countries my dog just scoots in the grass, maybe we will have to resort to that? - brings a whole new meaning to boot  butt scootin boogie  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bgriffin856 said:

I have a strong feeling that the way things are going things like toilet paper are going to become currency. Everyone laughed and made fun of people who hoarded it, but they'll have the last laugh

Been saying that exact thing since last year. 

Organic… until it’s not. Fancy word with a $$ sign in front of it.

An organic herd “here”(I’m trying to be careful with my words) would buy their penicillin at Tractor Supply and not off the local supply trucks. The trouble was, they used their farm account name so it left a paper trail…?whoops