It was my first time.....I'm no longer a virgin...

dads706

Had a 15"  implement tire blow up on me today while filling with air. I questioned the condition but like every one else on here.... "just need to use it today, then I'll get a new one. So far so good.... maybe just a little more air...... KABOOM !!!! "

Nothing worse that a few stray pieces of rubber. But it will get your attention.

I get nervous airing every dang tire up.  At the very least stand out of the way and use a clip on chuck and a regulator.  

• Like 2

....the words   ''virgin"'   and ''rubber''  have many connotations............:rolleyes:

...I well remember    B in L's    O 12, which had  tyres that whilst hardly worn, probably dated back to  pre WW2   originals.....Repair one of the leaking tubes pumped the tyre up to about 10  PSI...then it just started to ''grow''  untill it exploded with a fearsome bang

....It  irked him some...but it was rather  amusing, for all that..

Mike

• Haha 1

I had a skid loader tire blow up on me years ago! Lost the hearing in my right ear for about 3-4 days! Luckily it had steel tracks on it, that kept it from taking me out!  I don’t like tire work anymore, I definitely need a cage for the truck tires!!

Had a crappy old tire blow up on me probably 15 years ago. I threw anything questionable looking away after that. Scared the begezzus out of me. Wasn't right over it but it jammed one of my fingers as it went straight up and waped me on the side of the head with the air hose. I lost it for about 10 seconds till it came crashing back to the ground a few feet away instead of on my head, luckily. 

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I get nervous airing every dang tire up.

Me too. I used to work in a factory that made compressors. We iris tested every one in a steel chamber. One in every thousand or so would have a poorly installed wheel terminal block.

Because of that experience I understand how shell shock can just permanently wreck a man.

Never airing one up but have had a few blow in operation. 

My all time favorite is the semi truck tire that had been sitting for over a month and a half blowing in the shed it was sitting in. I had just gotten home from work and was checking out a spot in my yard that had been seeded to grass after we removed a building foundation. I was moving the sprinkler when this huge boom goes off. WTH? I'm looking all over the place from where the sound came from. At one point I was wondering if someone took a shot at me with a shotgun because I couldn't find anything.  I then walked into the pole barn where the semi is parked. This barn was originally built as a cattle shed when my Great grandfather was feeding cattle. Open on the East side so cattle could walk in and out. It has now been repurposed as a equipment storage shed. 

I'm walking all over the shed looking for the source of the boom. At first I almost missed it, but suddenly I noticed a rubber piece loose on a inside dual on the left front drive axle. Inside dual after all that time decided to let go. As I said before the truck hadn't even been started in a month and a half. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Never airing one up but have had a few blow in operation. 

My all time favorite is the semi truck tire that had been sitting for over a month and a half blowing in the shed it was sitting in. I had just gotten home from work and was checking out a spot in my yard that had been seeded to grass after we removed a building foundation. I was moving the sprinkler when this huge boom goes off. WTH? I'm looking all over the place from where the sound came from. At one point I was wondering if someone took a shot at me with a shotgun because I couldn't find anything.  I then walked into the pole barn where the semi is parked. This barn was originally built as a cattle shed when my Great grandfather was feeding cattle. Open on the East side so cattle could walk in and out. It has now been repurposed as a equipment storage shed. 

I'm walking all over the shed looking for the source of the boom. At first I almost missed it, but suddenly I noticed a rubber piece loose on a inside dual on the left front drive axle. Inside dual after all that time decided to let go. As I said before the truck hadn't even been started in a month and a half. 

I have had several. If anyone has a steel belted radial that starts sounding like rice crisply's while inflating get away. The steel cords in the side wall are popping. Hopefully you have a way to allow the air out of the tire as you leave but do not stay with it.

Had a road grader tire blow in my face once. Not a fun time but both of us were ok. My buddy had mud in his teeth and we were both bleeding a little bit. Sad thing is, we were in the process of removing it from the grader to be replaced at the time. 

I was helping a friend put his crops in a couple years ago. We were doing some work on his disk when all of a sudden we heard the unzipping sound of the cords on one of the tires let go. It was a tube tire and the tube was bulging out but never did burst. So, then we had a tire to fix also.

wqas getting a tire semi repaired at a tire shop in Duluth MN. and as the guy was inflating it in a cage and standing remotely by it started to come apart, guy yells..."run for life get out of the building", everybody that could hear him yell was heading for a door like rats leaving a sinking ship. he then went outside to a remote shut off valve to shut the air off.

Heard two stories about tires blowing up, luckily not mine. The first was a semi tire, being replaced with a new one on a 2-piece rim. The guy had it back together and started putting air in it with a clip on chuck. Someone got him sidetracked and went to the house. They heard the split rim go through the shop wall, luckily no one was around.

The other one was a couple brothers that farmed together, they were looking at a tire on a tandem grain truck. The sidewall was coming apart and one brother had his face near it when the other grabbed a flap of rubber and pulled! Luckily the one pulled away when the brother was reaching for it. When it blew apart, he was already out of the line of fire.

• Sad 1

NEVER HAD ONE BLOW ON ME. HAD MY DUMP TRUCK BLOW DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD LOADED.FELT LIKE TRUCK RAISED OFF THE ROAD. HAD A CLASSMATE IN HIGH SCHOOL THAT WORKED AT A SERVICE/GAS STATION AFTER SCHOOL. HAD ONE BLOW UP AND BROKE HIS JAW. CUSTOMER WAS STANDING THERE. HE ASKED IF THE GARAGE WAS GOING TO GIVE HIM A NEW TIRE SINCE THEY BLEW IT UP. W**..THE CLASSMATE WAS LAYING ON THE GROUND. AMBULACE HAULED HIM AWAY.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Had a road grader tire blow in my face once. Not a fun time but both of us were ok. My buddy had mud in his teeth and we were both bleeding a little bit. Sad thing is, we were in the process of removing it from the grader to be replaced at the time. 

I can say out of all the wild and crazy situations I’ve been in I’ve never had mud in my teeth.

My Dad never let me air up a tire on a split rim. He nagged me about it.  I thought he was just being over cautious but it kinda stuck in my head.  When I was working at a metal shop,  a guy had a tire off, laying down,  split ring side up,  airing it up. I went to yell for him to stop and chain it down or put a loader bucket on it but, too late. The ring blew off, caught the guy in the face and tossed him over the truck like a rag doll. He stopped breathing and his face was wrecked.  The ambulance came and revived him, but he is now not all there.

• Sad 1

I was airing up the little trailing wheel in my 3 bottom Little Genius plow.  It looked and seemed ok. We were standing around in the driveway about 10 minutes later when the tire exploded.  Peppered us all with gravel. Almost had to change my drawers.  It sounded like a gunshot. 

1 hour ago, ky966boy said:

I can say out of all the wild and crazy situations I’ve been in I’ve never had mud in my teeth.

That’s how fast it went off. We weren’t really hurt bad and both had a good laugh afterwards. 

Mounted many , many tires of all sizes. When I was 15 we put a boot in a heavy 16 inch trailer tire it blew out on tire changer. Always been wary after that. Have had lots of tires blow out they are loud and dusty. Have had about 30 tires blow out on various implements just from setting and non use they deteriorate. It is always a hunt to find the offending tire when you here one blow in the yard. Had a portable air compressor blow once also that makes a bang

Thats one nice thing about clip on tire chucks. My coats tire machine you clip it and run the pedal off to the side watching the gauge. Never had one blow yet knock on wood. The other day i was changing a tire and my buddy was over airing up a tire on my boys tricycle for him while he was waiting. Well that little pos 6" tall bicycle tire went and i about shat. Filled the shop with smoke and we looked like scooby doo and shaggy in the cartoon. ?

Just goes to show you i can imagine a real tire letting go

I still remember a story back in Iowa in the mid ‘60s. Father / son airing up rear tractor tire. It blew and killed them both. I don’t remember much about my childhood but I never forgot that story. 

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Thats one nice thing about clip on tire chucks. My coats tire machine you clip it and run the pedal off to the side watching the gauge. Never had one blow yet knock on wood. The other day i was changing a tire and my buddy was over airing up a tire on my boys tricycle for him while he was waiting. Well that little pos 6" tall bicycle tire went and i about shat. Filled the shop with smoke and we looked like scooby doo and shaggy in the cartoon. ?

Just goes to show you i can imagine a real tire letting go

My sister was riding an old bike my mother’s family got for Christmas. 1950 model Schwin. This was 1985 she was riding it on farm driveway song the wicked witch phrase . I will get you my pretty I will get you my pretty and rim blew open from rust. She was launched 5 feet up And forwards on that bike didn’t get hurt but she weighed about 120 she was 14 or 15. That is the power of a blow out.

In 1975, shortly after starting to work at at IH dealership, a part time worker came in on a Saturday morning to mount some tires for duals on a new tractor. He had the 18.4 X 38 laying flat on the floor of the wash bay while he was standing over it airing it up. Don't know how much pressure was in the tire when the bead broke on the under side. The explosion blow both him and the tire and wheel up 16 feet and took the overhead door off the tracks. Unfortunately he did not survive. It sure left a lasting impression on this new hire.

I helped replace a few tires on my dad's truck. He would put enough air in the so they would stay on the bead and then mount them as an inside dual to finish inflating them