1486 loss of steering and pto

A few years back I picked up a basket case 1486.  The pto didn't work when I got it but the steering was fine.  It's probably only got 10 hrs on it since I've owned it.  Last year raking hay the steering slowly went away to the current point of only 1-5 degrees of movement.   The brakes still work perfectly.  I see lots of questions posted simular to this but generally the brakes are affected too.  Filter is new today and correct oil level.  3 point still works as well.   When dead heading the remotes it builds pressure and labors the motor at idle with no sounds of splines slipping.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Does your transmission lite work? If not get it working. It should only come on when the clutch is depressed. Get a gauge on the mcv  if you can. Does ta shift ok. Possibly need new mcv pump. Pto clutches probably been smoked. Needs rebuilt??

The PTO is a separate self contained assembly, the only cross-over is the actual mechanical driveline that drives the MCV pump, the main lift pump, and the PTO.   As long as the 3pt works, the driveline is fine.    

Problem 1: PTO needs rebuilt

Problem 2: MCV pump or valve system has a problem, causing steering to not work.    As noted, tell us if the TA works & check MCV pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys.  I feel kind of sheepish as it ended up being a seized spindle.  Got that out and rebuilt and it was good as new.

• Like 1