what drill bit to use to drill thru tile?

pt756

hello. what kind of bit would you use to drill thru tile on a bathroom wall, these till are about half inch thick and 6 by 24 inch pieces, would like to hang a mirror  thanks i have a couple of hammer drills and a cordless dewalt  , is that what you would use? i have drilled concrete many times but really dont want to  crack the tile

What z says above is what I do. Keeping it cool is important.

Whether you use the hole saw type or a traditional shaped drill bit for porcelain, keeping it cool and going (agonizingly) slow with little applied force is the key to not only preventing cracks, but also to not ruining your bit.

• Like 1

Masonry bit correct size for your insert no hammer drill 

• Like 2

I’m a plumber by trade and I’ve drilled more holes in tile than I care to. The mini core bit works best with lots of water with a drill speed of 2000 rpms. You can pick up the bits at the big box stores. Mike

• Like 4

For a permanent attachment in would drill holes and use anchors.  Definitely don't turn hammer on.  Maybe you can go in at grout lines and not on tile.  I think that is what I would try to do.  Or maybe there are no grout lines?

Funny, have just been agonizing this very subject, have a tile floor and concrete floor to drill through tomorrow, was contemplating a core drill but this might be the way to fly  

I laid down ceramic  tile on concrete in most our our house, diamond cutting surface on a wet blade works fine.  For a hole I would a diamond hole saw or a masonry bit. Take it easy and keep it wet.  To keep the cutting edge from skating make up a jig to position the blade at the correct angle and location.

Good luck with your project.

We had a tile contractor hire us to core holes in floor tile, 24x24, for floor drains and clean outs. We used a big core machine with a 6” bit. Took me all day to do them and only broke 1. Customer was quite pleased. 

I looked into renting a core drill, worked out to about 95 bucks for 4 hours, wasn’t worth the hassle for my needs, I suppose it is dependent upon what you need.

Oxy-Acetylene and 7018!!!

(My apologies, but is is raining here and I am feeling feisty!)

High speed with LITTLE FORCE AND PLENTY OF COOLANT.  The jig to keep the bit/holesaw from wandering/skating is excellent advice.  Even if it is nothing more than a scrap piece of wood.

I'm late here, but agree with all advice. Slow and wet. Don't even think about the hammer setting since this is on a wall. Hammer will work with tile on concrete, but still iffy. Like has been mentioned.... I cheat when possible and use a grout line when possible. Even if it does mean moving things ever so slightly. 

Again.... slow, wet, and just enough pressure to know you are doing something. Even if it takes a bit longer. You ain't had fun until you've had to replace a cracked tile after it has been set good.