Lost gears 2,4, and 5 on my 5288

Wouldn't go in 2 or 4, so I thought maybe the solenoid on the high side went bad. I was surprised to have 6 gear, but not 5.  Anyone else ever have that happen? I thinking it's going to need to be split to diagnose. 

I would take the plastic shift cover off in cab and verify action of the shift lever and the electric switch that is activated to shift between even and odd gears.  Sounds like something is wrong but giving odd symptoms.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mish5288 said:

Wouldn't go in 2 or 4, so I thought maybe the solenoid on the high side went bad. I was surprised to have 6 gear, but not 5.  Anyone else ever have that happen? I thinking it's going to need to be split to diagnose. 

This is a bit curious as you would usually lose either all of the odds or all of the evens.  

Does the sentery come on? This is definitely an odd one. I'd check the supply voltage to the module. Single wire coming off the left battery, unless it's been moved. Constant power, it not switched.

Still no luck.

The sentry light flashes when the tractor starts, but does not come on when it is in gear but not moving.

1) I switched the pressure sensors - no change

2) I tried a test harness instead of the sentry - no change

3) I'm getting 250# of pressure at each pressure sensor in each gear whether it moves or not.

Still moves in 1st, 3rd, and 6th.  Not in 2nd, 4th, or 5th. I'm not sure how the gearing works internally, but I'm thinking it has to be inside.

I don't think it's inside. I'm thinking like superih. I wonder if the wires for the micro switch aren't pinched somewhere. When you move the speed lever it could be pulling more or less on the wires. The micro switch moves with the speed lever. If you want to be sure it's not inside you could manually supply 12v to the hi and low coil one at a time and try it in each of the 3 speed quadrants.

It has to be electric, like 5488Duke, superIh, and TB5288 said, microswitch or wiring. You have 3 speeds in the speed transmission with a high side and low side on each speed making 6 speeds. You have the low side working on 1 and 3, and the high side working on 6, so all three speeds work plus the high side and the low side work. Your Sentry doesn't know what of the three gears you are in, only if you are in the high side or the low side of any of the three gears. You said your Sentry light is not on and you are switching between the high side and low side by using 1,3, and 6, if there was a problem the Sentry detected on one side or the other, it would stop moving and the Sentry light would illuminate when in the high or low side it did not want to go into. More than likely it is the microswitch if a component failed, but could be a wiring issue such as a broken wire or loose connection close to or at the microswitch. 

• 2 months later...

Just got my tractor back from the dealer.  They had to split it and found the middle gear on the counter shaft had sheared from the keyway and was spinning freely.  They put a used counter shaft in and it seems to be fine.  I guess gears 2,4, and 5 all use that middle gear when engaged.  Wasn't too bad of a bill, was expecting to be more.  They said they have never replaced a counter shaft before, so I guess it's not too common.

Thats interesting.  He showed me the shaft and I didn't see splines, so it must have been updated.  It's a higher hour tractor (8000+) and looked like it was used hard when we got it years ago.  We had the rear end rebuilt and the clutches done during the time we had it.  It only pulls a 15' drill, 2 row chopper, and some gravity boxes, so it doesn't get worked that hard anymore.  Hopefully that's the last time it needs to be split.