6” Farmall M crankshaft

True dedication to old iron,  I assume you are going into business on old IHC engines.

Looks great! What are the metallurgicals  and tolerances like?

Good luck with your endeavors.

I love seeing nicely polished metal 

that will go inside an engine and it'll never see the light of day again.

HA

These cranks are new from the ground up. 

Oleman, My dad had a repair shop and M&W since the early 60's mainly working on IH tractors.  I grew up with this and returned home to work with him after college in 1995.  These old tractors and tractor pulling have been a passion/way of life for our family.  I'm hoping to just continue what was started before me.

And cranks are made out of a ductile iron (85,55,06).  

Greg

• Like 6

just wondering... so if these cranks are 3/4" longer stroke is the rods going to be shorter? or what is the piston and rod deal?

1 hour ago, rustred said:

just wondering... so if these cranks are 3/4" longer stroke is the rods going to be shorter? or what is the piston and rod deal?

Shortening the rods to accommodate a stroker crank would really have a nasty effect on the rod ratio.  

3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Shortening the rods to accommodate a stroker crank would really have a nasty effect on the rod ratio.  

i just wanted to know what the deal was with longer stroke to keep the pistons in the cyl's., so different pistons then.

1 hour ago, rustred said:

i just wanted to know what the deal was with longer stroke to keep the pistons in the cyl's., so different pistons then.

Custom pistons with a higher wrist pin location and shorter skirts to keep things happy. 

3 hours ago, rustred said:

7 hours ago, Gearclash said:

9 hours ago, rustred said:

You can only shorten the rod so much before the bottom of the piston skirt hits the (longer stroke) crankshaft in the bottom of the stroke. Piston difference is where most has to be made up at in my thoughts

14 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

If I may ask, where are they coming from? I remember awhile back some chirping around the bush that someone was going to start to make them, but I don't remember who.

I think it was lussetto, hope your sales reach your expectations not easy going from an idea to a fine finished product, my hats off to you

• Like 3

Maybe you mentioned this already.

what kind of price are you asking?

are you planning on putting a whole kit together with the correct pistons?  If so, I think that would help with sales since it would be a one stop shop and everything would work together correctly.

Last question.  What cubic inch does this kit produce and what HP range would it be running?

They are selling for $2200 right now, but the price of raw material has been volatile to say the least.  

I would love to put a kit together, but things have been moving pretty fast.  Only have one crank left (5 more are waiting to be machined) and have waiting list with 8-10 names on it.  My plan, though it may be this winter, is to have a program written to clearance a factory rod and maybe a camshaft so it can be a "bolt together" build.  But at the moment, we're going to just get the orders filled as soon as we can.  Also pistons are a tough thing to stock as rarely two builds are the same because of all of the different combinations of bore size to compression ratio and which cylinder head is being used.

4.125x6=321 cubic inches

4.25x6=340 cubic inches

4.380x6=362 cubic inches

Horsepower should range between 70-100, but there are so many factor that come into play that it makes it really hard give a definite answer.

Thanks,

Greg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, lussetto said:

They are selling for $2200 right now, but the price of raw material has been volatile to say the least.  

I would love to put a kit together, but things have been moving pretty fast.  Only have one crank left (5 more are waiting to be machined) and have waiting list with 8-10 names on it.  My plan, though it may be this winter, is to have a program written to clearance a factory rod and maybe a camshaft so it can be a "bolt together" build.  But at the moment, we're going to just get the orders filled as soon as we can.  Also pistons are a tough thing to stock as rarely two builds are the same because of all of the different combinations of bore size to compression ratio and which cylinder head is being used.

4.125x6=321 cubic inches

4.25x6=340 cubic inches

4.380x6=362 cubic inches

Horsepower should range between 70-100, but there are so many factor that come into play that it makes it really hard give a definite answer.

Thanks,

Greg

Thanks for all the information.

Excellent project.  Keep us informed as you develop this and hopefully other products.