Dogs and dead critters

brewcrew

For as long as I can remember, every dog we have had has gone to the neighbor’s to bring back dead pigs. I think the only one that didn’t was a beagle who could only bring back small parts due to his size! We’ve been without a dog for a while and have been liking the fact that we don’t have to clean critter carcasses from our yard all the time, but we want a dog. Is there anything we can do to prevent it from bringing dead critters home? We believe in farm dogs that stay outside, not on a chain or in a kennel.

• Like 2

Walk the dog around your property line/yard every day for a couple weeks so they know where they are supposed to stay. Keep them chained up for the first few weeks until they learn.

• Like 3

We did the same thing that Alan did and we’ve had good luck with our dog staying in our yard.

I am with you brewcrew, I never liked chaining a dog up either. Too many things can come through the yard. I don't want my dog hampered from defending himself by being chained up. 

No pigs here but do get the occasional deer leg drug in. 

A bigger problem, and I'm not saying my dogs have never, but when their city cousins come out, they love to roll in stuff. 

Horse apples and cow pies and sometimes the full Monty of a Horse Apple Cow Pie?

The piece de resistance is rolling in something dead. 

You see that grease stain on their head, neck, chest from a distance then the stench hits your olfactory?

I think it is a primal urge to roll in something after you kill it to show everyone how tough you are.

Or maybe it's just payback for doing this to them..............................................

870297368_dogworst.thumb.jpg.5d6786fae43a63111f6885fd43cddd5e.jpg

• Haha 8

Unfortunately dogs are scavengers by nature, why waste the energy to kill something when something else will kill it for you and leave some to ripen? Every time I take beagles hunting someone always finds something really dead and really gross to eat and roll in. I would walk the boundaries if the dog will train that way. A lab, Golden retriever or various herding breeds are pretty good about this. A beagle will never not wander.......?without some sort of containment. If possible an "invisible" type of pet fence can work really well and many dogs respect it long after their collar battery has died or even the collar lost. You can also invest in a training collar, use it carefully to show the dog its area and be consistent and don't use it for any other purpose. This can result in the same effect as a "fence" without the investment. Certainly tying up a dog is the worst possible solution.

• Like 1

Our outside dog killed a groundhog early this week.   I keep taking the carcass away from the house and she finds it and brings it back.  All 3 of our indoor dogs have rolled in it this week and promptly received a bath from our daughter!

• Haha 3

We have a border collie/ Australian Shepard and a blue tick/ blue heeler mix.  Underground fence works great.  We have pet safe controller.  Supposedly they have it so you map with gps and do it that way now.  Border collie won’t go near it.  Blue tick  will walk the whole perimeter all day but never cross.  I have 2 acres fenced.  I wish I had more for the blue tic/ heeler.  I have seen both of them spot a deer and take off running as fast as they can and stop on a dime just before the wire.  

May I ask? Where is the dogs coming up with that many dead pigs? Not trying to sound like piece of work, but shouldn't they be doing a better job of getting rid of carcasses. How often is this happening?

Until the recent dogs my brother and parents got this winter. Our dogs wouldn't bring up random dead animals. Now if they killed it themselves, sure they would.  They would have to show you their kill. That is over several dogs over the years. Unfortunately the current pups my folks and my brother's family have are a different story. They found where last year we were dumping our raccoon problem after handling it. 

8 hours ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Same problem here, usually dead armadillos laying in my front yard.

Did the dogs have to leave the yard to find them.

My red heeler found a very flat and long dead cat, I threw it out in the bean field several times but she kept getting it found.

We just named it toaster kitty and let her keep it.?

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Horse apples and cow pies and sometimes the full Monty of a Horse Apple Cow Pie?

All our Border Collies we ever had loved the green stuff but the sow lot was so much better ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Our outside dog killed a groundhog early this week.   I keep taking the carcass away from the house and she finds it and brings it back.  All 3 of our indoor dogs have rolled in it this week and promptly received a bath from our daughter!

bring it to my house i have one that burrowed and is living under my shop/barn i need to get rid of 

43 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

Did the dogs have to leave the yard to find them.

My red heeler found a very flat and long dead cat, I threw it out in the bean field several times but she kept getting it found.

We just named it toaster kitty and let her keep it.?

Yea, I  on a gravel road out in the sticks so they run loose on what's left of the family farm I've been buying back. 3 females all spayed, but for some reason they'll pass other animals for a dead armadillo. They'll hunt out their burrows and dig them out and kill them as well. I got a little over 100 acres here so them running out in the fields and the thousands of acres of woods around me isn't an issue. Just can't understand their love of armadillos.

5 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

They'll hunt out their burrows and dig them out and kill them as well.

Being fairly ignorant on armadillos is there a soft spot the dogs can get to?

5 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Being fairly ignorant on armadillos is there a soft spot the dogs can get to?

The head, there is a lapse in armor behind their head before the main shell starts where a dog can bite and break their neck and the belly is soft like a dog's stomach.

• Thanks 1

I got one of the ‘invisible fence’ years ago for my Great Pyrenees. Worked ok for a while. One day she saw a truck drive by and ran through it right into the side of the trailer. Guy driving was a friend of mine, very apologetic for “hitting “ my dog. I saw it happen, he didn’t hit her, she ran into his trailer.  Next dog, a healer, trained on the fence, but haven’t used the collar in years still stays put most of the time. 

17 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

May I ask? Where is the dogs coming up with that many dead pigs? Not trying to sound like piece of work, but shouldn't they be doing a better job of getting rid of carcasses. How often is this happening?

Until the recent dogs my brother and parents got this winter. Our dogs wouldn't bring up random dead animals. Now if they killed it themselves, sure they would.  They would have to show you their kill. That is over several dogs over the years. Unfortunately the current pups my folks and my brother's family have are a different story. They found where last year we were dumping our raccoon problem after handling it. 

The neighbors are one of the bigger “small” hog operations left. Basically the biggest non-mega operation. From what I’ve seen the mega operators compost. These guys pretty much throw them out for the eagles, or to bait coyotes. We’ve had everything from newborn piglets to the biggest pigs a dog can feasibly drag brought into our yard over the years. Also boned out deer carcasses and more. Last night we picked up a 5 year old golden retriever that basically got pushed out of his farm by an aggressive cattle dog. He wasn’t doing well having to be kept inside, and the other dog wasn’t gonna share the farm. Personally I’d have kept this sweet drooling dog over an aggressive dog, but they chose otherwise!