1966 Kenworth Grain Truck

oleman

I have no connection to the truck!

Good looking old truck, first time I have ever seen inside a 1966 big truck.

Back when 250 HP would power a real load.

DI5135.JPG

DI5135ZF.JPG

DI5135ZL.JPG

• Like 12

That would have been a bad dude in 1966 I would think. Looks like it has survived nicely. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, oleman said:

I don't think they "powered" any real loads they just kind of lugged along with a lot of through the wheel gear changes with both hands 

Very surprised it is not a twin stick! There were lots of them as well as some 3 sticks. Not many creature comforts but still beat the previous era. 

43 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I am thinking its a Cummins they usually had that external oil cooler 

Doesn’t this one have the old external Luberfiner filter?

I agree it is most likely a Cummins but I think Cat also ran the huge filter. 

28 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I agree, they would have called it a 6-71.

First summer, 1975, I hauled readymix I drove a year old '74 Diamond REO, with 6 spd Allison and 3 speed Brownie, second summer I drew a very short straw, a '66 White with 165 Cummins and 5+4.  These trucks were licensed for 50,000# but all scaled 52,000# or better,  with 165 HP.   I must say that even the first week of driving the White I could row thru the gears better than that video.  I have seen videos of guys that REALLY know how to row thru the gears, I have trouble keeping track of what gear they are in.

The company had two '70 White Construktors, 185 Cummins, (165 with a turbo) Super Singles all around,   I drove one a couple days,  hard the believe 20 hp made that much difference.  And they had one FWD, 6V-53 Detroit & Allison AT, only AWD till they bought 6 new MACKS, which one also was AWD.  Then they had 5 new Louisville Fords, then Sterlings,  now they have Pete's.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Doesn’t this one have the old external Luberfiner filter?

Yes that is what it is.

A Detroit of that era filters its oil by dropping it on the highway 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Betcha it was a bad move to lean up against it after running hard.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

First summer, 1975, I hauled readymix I drove a year old '74 Diamond REO

I wish I would have gotten a one year old truck at any company I worked for.

The new guy always got the 10 + year old Junker so you had to learn the sweet spots on the wore out tranny 

purplewave.com is an auction company out of Kansas, USA. 

This old Kenworth is an NTC-250 855 Cummins (the big dog at Cummins  would have been the NTC-335 855 CI Cummins) with a 13 speed road ranger currently up for bid. That makes it a (modern) single stick gear selection, air range shift.

I spend too much spare looking at old stuff that I would have no use for, "thinking what if".

First Kenworth grain truck I have ever seen on this auction. I think this is before Kenworth and Peterbilt became Paccar.

1 hour ago, oleman said:

purplewave.com is an auction company out of Kansas, USA. 

This old Kenworth is an NTC-250 855 Cummins (the big dog at Cummins  would have been the NTC-335 855 CI Cummins) with a 13 speed road ranger currently up for bid. That makes it a (modern) single stick gear selection, air range shift.

I spend too much spare looking at old stuff that I would have no use for, "thinking what if".

First Kenworth grain truck I have ever seen on this auction. I think this is before Kenworth and Peterbilt became Paccar.

What suspension does it have? The old torsion bars were a great ride, but terrible expensive to work on. 

3 hours ago, oleman said:

You would be right.  PACCAR bought Peterbilt in ’58 and KW in ’72.

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

What suspension does it have? The old torsion bars were a great ride, but terrible expensive to work on. 

Springs front and rear.

Power steering

8 speed road ranger

Currently at 4700, ends on 23 Jun 21

16 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I agree, they would have called it a 6-71.

Maybe I don’t understand what your saying here but 6-71 was Detroit not Cummins. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 9:52 PM, oleman said:

I have no connection to the truck!

Good looking old truck, first time I have ever seen inside a 1966 big truck.

DI5135.JPG

DI5135ZF.JPG

DI5135ZL.JPG

I love the colors!E9A5641C-A766-46AB-BAB7-EA1CA580B487.thumb.jpeg.a6a1788132352de09706d31914db7160.jpeg

21 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

I wish I would have gotten a one year old truck at any company I worked for.

The new guy always got the 10 + year old Junker so you had to learn the sweet spots on the wore out tranny 

Oh, I did better than that the year before,  Township Road Commissioner had a brand new C65 Chevy dump, old box & hoist but all new chassis, drove that thing almost everyday all summer. But man I got sick of patching the same potholes year after year!

Not sure how I lucked into a year old truck at the readymix company, new driver with a new truck. They normally gave new trucks to the most senior drivers.

When I drove over-the-road I normally took the tractor home from work every night after I got high enough seniority to get loads everyday.  The White RoadBoss 2's with 903 Cummins had air start, with just a sniff of ether they would start most mornings all winter.  Only had two days all winter I had to wheel my compressor out to pump up the air.  The tired old IH S-2200 with a very tired 290 I kept over at the "junkyard" in case it needed jump started. The starter in that truck had a dead spot on the commutator, if the starter stopped in the right exact spot it needed more more juice jumped to it than I had available,  I had that catch me on south Western Ave. in Chicago about Midnight one night. Light changed, all my drivers locked and stalled the engine,  Took me almost two hours to get going, luckily a city Cop "Knew a guy..."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tmtbob said:

Maybe I don’t understand what your saying here but 6-71 was Detroit not Cummins. 

I'm implying that if it had a Detroit they would call it by the engine configuration, 6-71, 8V-71, 6V-53, etc,  and with Cummins  most were 855 cid in-line 6's, so they reference gross HP.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I'm implying that if it had a Detroit they would call it by the engine configuration, 6-71, 8V-71, 6V-53, etc,  and with Cummins  most were 855 cid in-line 6's, so they reference gross HP.

Yes your right and also the 92 series Detroit.