Manifold, Exhaust bolt removal

Duntongw

x 2 on the wax. While I was an apprentice working with millwrights all of them had a stick of bee's wax in their gang box and swore by it for the really stubborn bolts. I've had good luck with it as well. Sometimes hitting the bolt on the end (not hard enough to damage head) can break up corrosion between threads. Also had luck trying to tighten bolt or nut first to see if you can get it to turn,  even if it's a small amount, then trying to loosen it again.

I had to work on an excavator that was from back east, the exhaust bolt heads were corded so badly from the elements back there that core t size sockets, rounded the bolt heads, so good thing metrics are close in size, sacrifices a socket by hammering it onto the rounded bolt heads, worked great, the pounding might have helped as well. Good luck

Mark

Get the motor up to temperature ........ assuming it runs.  Like someone else said lots of Blaster and don't get in a hurry.

i like to vibrate seized nuts with an air chisel or punch.  all depends on the room. spray and vibration works for me.

11 hours ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

x 2 on the wax. While I was an apprentice working with millwrights all of them had a stick of bee's wax in their gang box and swore by it for the really stubborn bolts. I've had good luck with it as well. Sometimes hitting the bolt on the end (not hard enough to damage head) can break up corrosion between threads. Also had luck trying to tighten bolt or nut first to see if you can get it to turn,  even if it's a small amount, then trying to loosen it again.

Agree on the wax. When you hit the bolts, make sure it's not a hard hit - tapping with PB and wax will usually do the trick.

If the studs want to come out with the nut - let it come out, new ones are readily available.

• Like 1