Farmall M build

I’m looking for a tractor to run again my dads styled G running at about 110 horse….. I have an M and tires for it and weight brackets and stuff but i want to know how to get an M up to 105-115 horsepower range just wondered what other people Ms are running 

How many cubic inches is the G ? I am guessing that if you increase your cubic inches on the M to what he has your horsepower will be higher. A stock G is 412ci , M stock is 248ci

I don’t know a single thing that could help you, but I do like to go to the occasional antique pull. The ones that I go to don’t have people that have crazy amounts of money in their tractors. It looks to me like a well tuned G is hard to beat. I’m far from an expert, but just from what I see around here most guys seem to need a SMTA to really give them a run for their money. It seems crazy to me that a G is even capable of 100+ horsepower. I look forward to hearing others advice. I hope I don’t get flamed too badly for saying it looks like a G is hard to beat. 

1 minute ago, supermpuller said:

There are M's running over 500cu.,  4.310 pistons and 1 1/2 stroke is around 421 cu and will run over 125 hp.

SON and I followed a co-worker of mine one summer all over southern Wisconsin. He had an Oliver Super 77 that had more in common with a 1955 Oliver gasoline tractor IF Oliver had ever built it.  Several Super M's in his class over 500 to 549 cid.  Was watching a Deere 4000 diesel pull, next to last tractor in the class, ran low on power but struggled into 1st place around 275 ft.  One of the BIG Super M's hooked to sled,  and started down the track, bet it didn't drop 100 rpm during the whole pull, and pulled right out past 300 ft and stopped.  Not sure how far he could have gone.  I told SON, "It's NOT over till It's OVER.

• Like 1

The hot set up now is red Diamond motors around 700 cu, but the 466 DT engines converted to gas at 750 cu. are taking over . they are put in 460's for a stock Diamond and the big cube engines are in 560. both tractors  can get down to the 4250 lb class.  Those tractors like to pull 10 to 15 mph.

10 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

It seems crazy to me that a G is even capable of 100+ horsepower. 

My brother has a '53 that runs 75 hp and its nothing that special..............And his is the baby in the area.  One that I would love to know what it is making has a flat back/pto delete...........Was built new at Deere that way, but I think the owner set it up the way he did to pull because of the hind end, everyone can just guess...........

On 6/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, supermpuller said:

There are M's running over 500cu.,  4.310 pistons and 1 1/2 stroke is around 421 cu and will run over 125 hp.

correction  stroke is 1 3/4.

In my opinion there are three ways to build an M.

Stroked 1 inch x 4.25- 4.375 bore, 350 CID good honest 90 horse, cheap build, runs forever

Stroked 1.75-2" x 4.375 =421 or 436 CID is a very stable build capable of 150 horse or more, more expensive block work, 

Big bore engines, 4.750-5.125" x 7.75-8" stroke, 530- 660 CID, 250 horse plus, very expensive build, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i have a M with over 500 ci. it just sits in the shed gathering dust. the first motor i put together was in '96. it hasn't been pulled for at least fifteen years. We had a lot of fun back then with it.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 8:16 AM, supermpuller said:

The hot set up now is red Diamond motors around 700 cu, but the 466 DT engines converted to gas at 750 cu. are taking over . they are put in 460's for a stock Diamond and the big cube engines are in 560. both tractors  can get down to the 4250 lb class.  Those tractors like to pull 10 to 15 mph.

A local radio station that I don't listen to sponsored NTPA pulls at Angel Park Speedway, midget racecar dirt track that's about 3-4 miles from our house.  Only had the pull two years,  think 5 & 6 years ago.

Just like 50 years ago you built your tractor for a specific weight class but had several thousand pounds of removable weight so you could hook 3-4, maybe 5 times.  Guy had a FARMALL 460 with a 501 cid Red Diamond truck engine.  The BIG 4 bbl carb say above the hood.  I felt sorry for him,  not enough weight to get hooked to the ground.  But in his heaviest class he really put on a great show.  Was a Minny-Mo 4-Star that was probably even bigger displacement than the 460 and he struggled for grip too.  I think they each won a class and finished 2nd in the other heavy class.

The Midget track is only 1/3rd mile long,  real hard to get a FLAT 300 ft pulling track out of the back straight away.

36 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What's the goal here? If you don't care what it looks like what's stopping you from throwing in a small block Chevy or a turbine engine?

Is a turbo on the stock engine on the table? Take a look at Keystone Turbo.

NATPA has some rules , no turbo, engines have to be made by tractor you are pulling and the same number of cylinders, The red diamond and the 460 block have 6 cylinders. and there are rpm rules.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2021 at 10:36 PM, bitty said:

How many cubic inches is the G ? I am guessing that if you increase your cubic inches on the M to what he has your horsepower will be higher. A stock G is 412ci , M stock is 248ci

My dads G is 850 and correction. Probably making around 125 horse

Do you feel the need to stick with stock engine? There is a kit available to bolt a 4BT in there , that would accomplish your goal quickly and easily, gain you RPM, torque and wheel speed 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Do you feel the need to stick with stock engine? There is a kit available to bolt a 4BT in there , that would accomplish your goal quickly and easily, gain you RPM, torque and wheel speed 

Chuckle! And, if he does very much to the 4BT, he can also learn where the weakest point in the drivetrain is.  I have heard of 4BTs getting jacked up to 700 HP.  A high school classmate of mine shoehorned a “small" Cat  V-8 into an M, pulled it exhibition.  Wasn’t even hopped up a whole lot.  It all ended in “TINK” and the tractor quit moving.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Chuckle! And, if he does very much to the 4BT, he can also learn where the weakest point in the drivetrain is.  I have heard of 4BTs getting jacked up to 700 HP.  A high school classmate of mine shoehorned a “small" Cat  V-8 into an M, pulled it exhibition.  Wasn’t even hopped up a whole lot.  It all ended in “TINK” and the tractor quit moving.

I wasn’t suggesting 700 hp, but 130 wouldn’t be much of a stretch. I think the couple 4B’s we have around are at about 80-85 hp N/A 

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I wasn’t suggesting 700 hp, but 130 wouldn’t be much of a stretch. I think the couple 4B’s we have around are at about 80-85 hp N/A 

If you have a source of 4BT Cummins cheaper than what I have seen many of us want to know where 

3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

You might be SHOCKED how much HP an M can handle.  A guy that pulled NW Illinois and eastern Iowa had a FORD V-8 GAA engine in his Farmall M 50 years ago. Stock engine in a Sherman Tank they made 500 hp from 1100 cid, 1000 #/ft of torque from idle to 2200 rpm.  His pulling motor was pretty stock.  He mostly pulled 7000# & 9000# classes,  he didn't pull in the 12,000# class.  Wish I could find pictures of that tractor and get the guy's name.

1 hour ago, bitty said:

If you have a source of 4BT Cummins cheaper than what I have seen many of us want to know where 

No, just machines with them in them. I am always on the lookout for one for my M