Tire pressures.

Let's talk tire pressures in rear tractors. What psi do y'all like to run. I pump my radials up fairly high but run my bias a hair lower. My 1086 with newer bias tires bounce no matter what's hooked to it going down the road. I've tried lower and higher psi. Most times I lower it for a little better ride on rougher fields. What works for you? 

I use the Firestone chart and run the least psi needed for the weight I am (weighing to verify) . If you have radials and run higher than bias pressure you are leaving money slip out of your fingers. Do not use the "squat" to tell you if you need more pressure on a radial or you have too much in the end. 

18r46 duals on the Magnum and the 8-18 plow I run 6 psi. Hauling silage and manure I need 14 psi

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Let's talk tire pressures in rear tractors. What psi do y'all like to run. I pump my radials up fairly high but run my bias a hair lower. My 1086 with newer bias tires bounce no matter what's hooked to it going down the road. I've tried lower and higher psi. Most times I lower it for a little better ride on rougher fields. What works for you? 

What the heck is a rear tractor? Something like this?

Another FORDSON Twin-Motor Tractor, but this one's just a ...

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, arizonian said:

Found another one.

CHAMBERLAIN. A74, Twin Engine, Tractor. | Tractors ...

Wheel slip? Never heard of her...

• Like 1

What the heck is a rear tractor? Something like this?

Another FORDSON Twin-Motor Tractor, but this one's just a ...

Found another one.

You posted two articulated tractors, are they yours? Are you in a business that requires them? I remember when my kid was logging he was extremely proud of showing off his articulating skidder, and the handling of such, nice pics.

I always used the rule of three lugs touching the ground completely on radial tires. Bias ply I tried to make it to where the lug made total contact to the ground. I would even take the time to adjust the front tires on the loader tractor when I took the loader on and off, it was well worth it. 2+2 tractors are really sensitive, one or two pounds can be the difference between the nose bobbing up and down or the tractor riding smooth.

Depends on what you are using the tractor for.  

For hillside work I like them aired up so they don't pull off the bead.  

For roading I like a bit more in the fronts to keep from bobbing.

For general use when ground compaction and traction is not a concern I figure those tires are my only shock absorber so some squat when I pick up a rear implement is welcomed.

2 hours ago, Dasnake said:

You posted two articulated tractors, are they yours? Are you in a business that requires them? I remember when my kid was logging he was extremely proud of showing off his articulating skidder, and the handling of such, nice pics.

I was just asking what is a rear tractor. Tongue in cheek, you know. Missouri Mule won't be offended.

1 hour ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I always used the rule of three lugs touching the ground completely on radial tires. Bias ply I tried to make it to where the lug made total contact to the ground. I would even take the time to adjust the front tires on the loader tractor when I took the loader on and off, it was well worth it. 2+2 tractors are really sensitive, one or two pounds can be the difference between the nose bobbing up and down or the tractor riding smooth.

I never heard of the 3 lug rule. It would not work correctly on our Magnums dualled up on 18-46 . We had a 7240 that had 18-42 and it had 3 on the ground when aired correctly. On the 8950 with 18-46 it had 4. The difference between the two of them was HUGE. 72 rode awful, 89 like a dream. Next thing was the 42's lasted 2,100 hours and the 46's lasted 4,400 hours doing the same jobs on two equally weighted tractors (22 up front and no rear weights or fluid) both the duals always were always on. We figured out it was the extra lug on the ground that added traction , made it ride better and most important they more than double the lifetime. We bought new rims for the 7240 and went 46 and they more than paid for themselves in the first 4000 hours since that

• Like 3

15 in my 1086.  They're new Firestone radials and that's what the dealer told me.  I don't run duals.

I am wrong it's not the tire book the chart is in the Magnum operation manual showing weights per psi. Have to look at the heading of the chart for if it's single or dual application

20 hours ago, arizonian said:

I was just asking what is a rear tractor. Tongue in cheek, you know. Missouri Mule won't be offended.

No funny stuff was intended, I know less than nothing about farming and equipment and most guys here know it so anytime someone can explain a certain vehicle I’m all ears.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, arizonian said:

Found another one.

I'm thinking that must be purpose built for wet ground  - you get one stuck and the other stays on dry ground for the rescue tractor. The nose is long enough you can mount a water sensor on it to warn you - you approaching deep kimchi bubba.

• Haha 3

Well on an 86 you need to air radials up to 25 psi if you are roading it and don't want to bounce your head against the cab roof. If you are content with 18 mph on the road you can run them at 14 psi. We run bias on most all of ours. Pretty much all Firestones. The only radials that we can run soft and not bounce at high road speeds are the new Firestone Deep Treads. They do not hop, even at 37 mph, yes 37, we have a 15 ring and pinion in one and it will run 37 on the level. We run 18-20 in our bias. Don't like much bulge at all in a bias, really shortens the life.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 5:59 PM, arizonian said:

On tractor rears, rear of the tractor, you know back behind where you sit, ahead of the hitch, above the dirt. ?

• Haha 2

On 6/18/2021 at 5:59 PM, arizonian said:

On tractor rears, rear of the tractor, you know back behind where you sit, ahead of the hitch, above the dirt. ?

Interesting. Seems we all run a fairly big gap in tire pressures. I kinda figured that as it depends on the job your doing. My 1486 pulling the baler with radials I run at almost 30. It's got alot of tongue weight and wants to bounce you to where you can't run over about 15 mph. Once I get to the field I wish I had 10 in them lol

Always trying to find that happy medium. Running bias ply on my 1086 with the same baler I can't remember where I finally kept it. Tried lowering and adding pressures for better ride. Radials are better for sure on my application, but not by a long shot. I have been wanting to run a chain from top link down to the drawbar and back up for a couple years and road it, but never have. I think my drawbar is flexing. When I drop it on there it flexes down a couple inches just sitting still. It will take a 3/4 ton truck and put it on the overloads. If that helped I will consider beefing up my drawbar similar to what you all do pulling big manure spreaders. 

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

Interesting. Seems we all run a fairly big gap in tire pressures. I kinda figured that as it depends on the job your doing. My 1486 pulling the baler with radials I run at almost 30. It's got alot of tongue weight and wants to bounce you to where you can't run over about 15 mph. Once I get to the field I wish I had 10 in them lol

Always trying to find that happy medium. Running bias ply on my 1086 with the same baler I can't remember where I finally kept it. Tried lowering and adding pressures for better ride. Radials are better for sure on my application, but not by a long shot. I have been wanting to run a chain from top link down to the drawbar and back up for a couple years and road it, but never have. I think my drawbar is flexing. When I drop it on there it flexes down a couple inches just sitting still. It will take a 3/4 ton truck and put it on the overloads. If that helped I will consider beefing up my drawbar similar to what you all do pulling big manure spreaders. 

Higher air pressure will make it bounce more.

50 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

You would certainly think so wouldn't you. Fact is I've tried both. Once you hit a hole in the road she gets to hopping. Your tires squish down and it just keeps a hopping. 

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Depends on the tire. I’ve seen bounce get worse at lower pressure on one size and brand of tire, then on a different size and brand the bounce goes away as the pressure goes down. 2 different but near identical tractors.