Help with IH 5088 with Sprayer

todd.crow

I have my new to me 5088 hooked to my new to me Fast 9420 sprayer and have a couple hydraulic questions. The sprayer has a hydraulic driven sprayer pump and a electric solenoid hydraulic control block that is used to control the boom functions.

I want to make sure I hook things up correctly. I believe that I have to hook the sprayer pump up to the outermost hydraulic lever in the cab, and then hook the return hose to the case single return line on the back of the tractor.

My question really pertains to the hydraulic block that controls the booms. It is setup for a closed center system now. The only other option is to set it as a open center valve. My guess is I need to connect this valve to the other control valve on the tractor and somehow lock the hydraulics on to that valve.

How will the pump react to this setup? With this is my first experience with a PFC type hydraulic system and want to make sure that I have it setup correctly and not burn up the tractor hydraulic pump.

Thanks

-8860702306533114497.jpg

4726341258857689924.jpg

• Like 1

• todd.crow changed the title to Help with IH 5088 with Sprayer

The orbital motor needs to be plugged into the number one remote , that is the closest lever to the seat . Number one has priority over 2,3,4 and yes you -lug your return side into the single return coupler .  The flow control is down by your right foot to speed up and slow down your pump . Just hook the hoses up to the pump for oil in and the return side back to the tractor return and it should work fine 
‘Danny 

I think along with having the sprayer pump hooked up to remote One you would want the flow control turned down to just enough for the pump so you have ample hydraulic flow for the booms etc 

31 minutes ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

The orbital motor needs to be plugged into the number one remote , that is the closest lever to the seat . Number one has priority over 2,3,4 and yes you -lug your return side into the single return coupler .  The flow control is down by your right foot to speed up and slow down your pump . Just hook the hoses up to the pump for oil in and the return side back to the tractor return and it should work fine 
‘Danny 

The FURTHEST from the seat in an 88 series is the motor remote. There is a float-lock tab thing on the front side of the lever to differentiate it from the others.

I have a Schaben sprayer and the valve for the boom control is made by Fasse.  I use my 1066 on it and had to buy another solenoid valve and change where the return comes out for open center hydraulics.

My hydraulic lever stay on while spraying so I can lift the wings on the ends. That's why I like the PTO pumps better.

I'd contact the sprayer manufacturer and they should be able to help. 

I have a diagram of my valve but it won't upload the scan. Something about won't accept a tif file? 

59 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

The FURTHEST from the seat in an 88 series is the motor remote. There is a float-lock tab thing on the front side of the lever to differentiate it from the others.

On my 5088 it was also the farthest remote lever from the seat that had priority.  Generally when I folded the booms I shut the pump off and folded the booms.  Seemed slow other wise.  5088 worked good on my sprayer! 

The outside lever is priority. If you hook the motor to this valve you Will Not be able to move the booms while the motor is engaged And the oil will overheat. Been there and done that. I run the same setup on my 5288. Run the motor on the inside lever and the boom control valve on the middle lever. Yes, when you move the booms the motor will slow down but at least they will move. The motor does slow down but it's not much. And the oil does not get near as hot. When the priority valve (outside lever) is used for a motor, the pump flows too much oil and it gets hot, even though the flow control may be turned down, the pump still circulates more oil then is being used. You still want the return from the motor connected to free return, not the remote coupler. 

Number one remote is the priority valve , same as a Magnum , number one remote valve is a different valve over 2,3,4 , you can look it up in the parts look up if you want to . That slide pin in the cab that goes through the remote levers was to lock the valves for road transport so you couldn’t bump a lever , if you set your detents with a flow rater and you need to do this ,  to kick out at the spec it will run your orbital motor just fine with out trying to lock it in the run position with that lock out pin . If the Detents are not set correct and the number 1 remote locks out it shut down number 2,3,4 until you put the lever into float on number 1/priority then the oil will flow again on the rest of the remotes .Not sure how you would operate your other remotes if you have that pin through the remote levers .  If you put it in #4 and you have other functions to do with 3,2 or one number four remote gets starved for oil and the pump with slow down . The 3 point has main priority so you can lift your implement so the remotes will slow for the time the hitch is going up and then the remotes will go back to full flow . This pfc hyd system works very well and it the same setup at a 71,72,8900 series Magnum .Looking at you valve on the sprayer you will want to hook the line direct into the valve with out that bypass line . , just make sure you push the lever into float every time you shut the pump down don’t put the lever in neutral or it will blow the seal on your pump motor . Hope this help and is not to detailed ? I worked at IH when these were new along with the Magnums and have been to service school on these so I learned a lot on these systems .

If you guys need any of the information on this system I have the service books and the service school manuals for the hyd system on the 50 series and the Magnums 

‘Danny 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Number one remote is the priority valve , same as a Magnum , number one remote valve is a different valve over 2,3,4 , you can look it up in the parts look up if you want to . That slide pin in the cab that goes through the remote levers was to lock the valves for road transport so you couldn’t bump a lever , if you set your detents with a flow rater and you need to do this ,  to kick out at the spec it will run your orbital motor just fine with out trying to lock it in the run position with that lock out pin . If the Detents are not set correct and the number 1 remote locks out it shut down number 2,3,4 until you put the lever into float on number 1/priority then the oil will flow again on the rest of the remotes .Not sure how you would operate your other remotes if you have that pin through the remote levers .  If you put it in #4 and you have other functions to do with 3,2 or one number four remote gets starved for oil and the pump with slow down . The 3 point has main priority so you can lift your implement so the remotes will slow for the time the hitch is going up and then the remotes will go back to full flow . This pfc hyd system works very well and it the same setup at a 71,72,8900 series Magnum .Looking at you valve on the sprayer you will want to hook the line direct into the valve with out that bypass line . , just make sure you push the lever into float every time you shut the pump down don’t put the lever in neutral or it will blow the seal on your pump motor . Hope this help and is not to detailed ? I worked at IH when these were new along with the Magnums and have been to service school on these so I learned a lot on these systems .

If you guys need any of the information on this system I have the service books and the service school manuals for the hyd system on the 50 series and the Magnums 

‘Danny 

If you look at the actual valve stack under the cab the valve closest to the transmission housing is the priority valve, it has a different part number than the rest of the valves. But, the outside lever controls this valve. 

1 hour ago, TB5288 said:

If you look at the actual valve stack under the cab the valve closest to the transmission housing is the priority valve, it has a different part number than the rest of the valves. But, the outside lever controls this valve. 

Yup, It's the lever with the black knob.  Kind of confusing the way they have the linkage on those tractors. 

Thanks for all the information on connecting the sprayer pump to the tractor.

What I am really wondering about is the hydraulics that control the booms. There is a 5 function electric solenoid hydraulic block on the sprayer that controls the booms. Currently it is setup as closed center. When I engage the hydraulics in the tractor and not use any functions for the booms, the pump on the tractor makes the same sound as if you are at the end of stroke on a ram or simply have nothing connected which makes sense. So what is the pump doing then? Going into high pressure standby? The only other choice with that hydraulic block on the sprayer is for it to be open center, I don't think that is what we want.

I guess when I am in the field the hydraulic spool for the sprayer pump will be running also, that will probably make a difference to.

I don't know about all of you, maybe you only have to set the booms out when you enter the field and then not mess with them until you leave, but my ground you have to be moving the booms all the time across the field to keep them out of the dirt.

11 minutes ago, todd.crow said:

Thanks for all the information on connecting the sprayer pump to the tractor.

What I am really wondering about is the hydraulics that control the booms. There is a 5 function electric solenoid hydraulic block on the sprayer that controls the booms. Currently it is setup as closed center. When I engage the hydraulics in the tractor and not use any functions for the booms, the pump on the tractor makes the same sound as if you are at the end of stroke on a ram or simply have nothing connected which makes sense. So what is the pump doing then? Going into high pressure standby? The only other choice with that hydraulic block on the sprayer is for it to be open center, I don't think that is what we want.

I guess when I am in the field the hydraulic spool for the sprayer pump will be running also, that will probably make a difference to.

I don't know about all of you, maybe you only have to set the booms out when you enter the field and then not mess with them until you leave, but my ground you have to be moving the booms all the time across the field to keep them out of the dirt.

I have to move the booms quite a bit also. This is the reason I don't run the motor on the priority valve, when I did I could not move the booms if I wanted to. I guess I won't say they didn't move at all, but very slow. I started running the motor on the inside lever, which is the outside valve in the stack. When I did this, I had much better control of the booms while running in the field. The motor would slow down some when I moved the booms but it was minimal. I thought I was better off this way being able to move the booms and the pump pressure was barley dropping when the motor slowed down. Plus the oil does not get near as hot. 

15 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

‘Danny 

5 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

‘Danny 

The Lever for the motor run valve which has priority is located furthest away from the seat and I don’t think he was talking about the locking pin but about the tab that slides over and forces you to shut the valve off in float rather than centering it. 

Either way, as others said I have found it works better to run the motor off either the inside lever or middle lever and then run your booms on the priority(black handle) lever. That way you can always lift your boom even if it you lose a little pressure on your sprayer pump. 

The priority valve is not the one furthest  from the seat , don’t try and confuse this guy asking the question . It is number one remote closest to the seat so don’t try running this orbital motor off that not that it won’t run it because it can but when you run 1, 2, 3 remotes the motor will slow or stop and that don’t go good when your trying to spray or anything that requires a constant flow of oil .

Danny

11 minutes ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

The priority valve is not the one furthest  from the seat , don’t try and confuse this guy asking the question . It is number one remote closest to the seat so don’t try running this orbital motor off that not that it won’t run it because it can but when you run 1, 2, 3 remotes the motor will slow or stop and that don’t go good when your trying to spray or anything that requires a constant flow of oil .

Danny

Danny, I've never seen something that is so black and white be so gray....The priority valve is the valve mounted closest to the transmission in the valve stack, it is a different part number then the other remote valves, it has the check ball in the load sense circuit. The inside remote lever does not control this valve, the outside lever does. The outside "lever" is the priority valve. It's even identified as such, the term  "motor valve" is engraved in the plastic cowling by the slot for the lever. I'm not trying to confuse anyone, I'm getting confused myself. 

I want to try and lessen the confusion with the schematic below. This schematic is for a tractor with 4 remotes, the 5088 probably has 3, but could have 4. Notice the identification number for the valve itself. There is 3 valves as #2, and 1 valve as #1. Also notice #5, that is the end plate. The valves are all sandwiched together up against the manifold which bolts to the transmission housing. The valve closest to the transmission (#1) is the valve that has priority. But it is the lever furthest from the seat that controls this valve. I think this is what is causing the confusion. 

image.png.bdf667316003bcad888c1d13ebbe6c1c.png

57 minutes ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

On an 5x88 series tractor the priority valve is the outside handle, on all other red tractors it's the inside lever.

Best post yet..............

Never sprayed with my 88, but ran a ace hydraulic pump on a transplanter, plus lifted it............With the pump on the priority valve, and the flow turned down all the way and back up to get the just the pressure we needed, and the pump return hose into the motor return port, we had no issue getting it to lift with the other valve while the pump was running and it didn't get hot.  I know I have seen some guys have issues running vac planters with them and you want to switch around which valves run what so the planter works right, but for the transplanter here, it was easier to use the priority valve for the pump just because of the lock to hold the valve on, then could go into float to stop it(Outside lever in cab, mine is 4 remotes).

3 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Danny

?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

On an 5x88 series tractor the priority valve is the outside handle, on all other red tractors it's the inside lever.

Correct

6 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

Right.  The far outside lever is the #1 remote on a 5088 and they just fill to the left the 2nd, 3rd, 4th remote.  #1 has priority on the 5088 but it is the outside lever.  Magnum was the opposite.  Lever closest to the seat was #1 remote and had priority then they filled to the right 2nd, 3rd,4th remotes.

So let me try and explained this some more , the oil leaves the block that the oil flows into on the inside of the hyd valve stack to the number 1 remote/your priority valve , this means it has priority over number 2,3,4 remotes. Number one remote is the one you run your orbital motor application on , if you run a function on any of the remotes further down the line such as number 2, 3or 4 , number 1 remote will maintain its flow and the rest of the remotes will slow down but will still function if the demand is a lot of flow one number 1 remote . This is how the pressure flow compensated system works . If you pull the lever to raise your implement the pump strokes for the oil flow and pressure to complete the job and then it de strokes back to minimum flow until the next task . 
‘Let me get my service manual out and I will take some pictures out of it and post them over the weekend .

Danny 

55 minutes ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

So let me try and explained this some more , the oil leaves the block that the oil flows into on the inside of the hyd valve stack to the number 1 remote/your priority valve , this means it has priority over number 2,3,4 remotes. Number one remote is the one you run your orbital motor application on , if you run a function on any of the remotes further down the line such as number 2, 3or 4 , number 1 remote will maintain its flow and the rest of the remotes will slow down but will still function if the demand is a lot of flow one number 1 remote . This is how the pressure flow compensated system works . If you pull the lever to raise your implement the pump strokes for the oil flow and pressure to complete the job and then it de strokes back to minimum flow until the next task . 
‘Let me get my service manual out and I will take some pictures out of it and post them over the weekend .

Danny 

Danny I don't think anyone disagrees with the function of the priority valve. The confusion started by saying the outside lever was not the priority valve. The outside lever Is the priority valve but that's the inside valve in the stack.