Fruit trees, fertilizer, etc.

dads706

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I'm clearing an acre (give or take) and am putting in an orchard. (my grandkids will reap the benefits)

Plan on apples, cherry, peach, raspberry (maybe blackberry and pear also) plus a half dozen filbert bushes.

Tress will be dwarf varieties (not that it makes a difference). Apples will be resistant to cedar scab (or whatever it is called).

Ok, now for the questions..............

1#...... how many of you fertilize your fruit trees.

2#...... Is liquid N simply water and urea? As I said earlier on the fertilizer thread, I have never been around liquid fertilizer. It is not used around here. I do know that for cattle lick tanks, urea is used as the protein source mixed with water and molasses. So I was thinking I should be able to mix urea and water..... but does it need injected or can it be poured on the surface. Was just thinking liquid vs sprinkling dry on the surface.

Growing fruit trees is all new to me. So I'll be asking you guys questions, working with Iowa State, and finding a fruit tree forum. Like most of us, my only experience was "picking apples and cherries from grandma's tree". But that was almost 70 years ago. Though I can still remember those days as if they were yesterday.

FYI, this is not a commercial project. Just something for the family.

I don't have an orchard but orchard country is less than 15 miles away and vineyard country is barely 10 miles away in the opposite direction.  I will say that for commercial production fertilizer and chemicals are used in both types of operations.  I will say for the years we had cherry, apple, and peach trees the production was more than adequate for the needs of of the immediate family with out fertilizer and most years did not see a need for chemicals but not all.  Wet years promote fungus and disease so to maintain fruit quality you would want to spray.  Dry years produce relatively high levels of sugar in the fruit.  No secret that the best wines produced here in the Finger Lakes region are in the drought years which would be 1985, 1988, 1991, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2012, and down the line.  Your area agronomist can best tell you what the soil pH should be and what releases naturally into the soil such as Potassium.  I would not do an orchard without professional help.  BTW the old trees are gone here and I want to do my own on a drumlin on my farm the next road over.  Long story as to why a location change.

Everywhere is different, here we install drip irrigation lines and inject fertilizer as needed. If you have samples of the soil and the trees checked they will tell you exactly what is needed.  Might surprise you want adding some minor nutrient to your crop will do

Most fertilizer does not move into the soil fast. Even dwarf trees the roots will go 6 to 10 feet in not to many years. Unless there is a hard pan or rock. But since you said removing trees, looks like trees can get roots down. As others said get soil tests, out here leaf tests are big with the permanent crops. In the wine business we added micro nutrients in quarts to the acre of micro nutrients products.  Maybe just moderate amounts of fertilizer for cover crops and then mow or till the organic matter in. Start building soil now even though the trees will not need help for some years. With your rain all year wet or dry fertilizer should not make any difference. Unless you think more water with a drip system would be helpful then liquid to go in the drip maybe easier.

Find a nursey that has rootstock as well as the verities of fruit that are best suited to a micro climate conditions. 

On 6/17/2021 at 4:33 PM, dads706 said:

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I'm clearing an acre (give or take) and am putting in an orchard. (my grandkids will reap the benefits)

Plan on apples, cherry, peach, raspberry (maybe blackberry and pear also) plus a half dozen filbert bushes.

Tress will be dwarf varieties (not that it makes a difference). Apples will be resistant to cedar scab (or whatever it is called).

Ok, now for the questions..............

1#...... how many of you fertilize your fruit trees.

2#...... Is liquid N simply water and urea? As I said earlier on the fertilizer thread, I have never been around liquid fertilizer. It is not used around here. I do know that for cattle lick tanks, urea is used as the protein source mixed with water and molasses. So I was thinking I should be able to mix urea and water..... but does it need injected or can it be poured on the surface. Was just thinking liquid vs sprinkling dry on the surface.

Growing fruit trees is all new to me. So I'll be asking you guys questions, working with Iowa State, and finding a fruit tree forum. Like most of us, my only experience was "picking apples and cherries from grandma's tree". But that was almost 70 years ago. Though I can still remember those days as if they were yesterday.

FYI, this is not a commercial project. Just something for the family.

https://www.groworganic.com/blogs/articles/when-and-how-to-fertilize-your-fruit-trees

My wife and I re worked our backyard last summer. I had 4 blueberry bushes she told me to get rid of to make room for the new landscaping. I dug them up and put them in 5 gallon buckets with a generous amount of soil around the roots. Transplanted them to my farm which is over 45 miles away and a completely different type of soil. I put a ring of triple 13 around them and they are doing fine. Just picked a bucket of berries yesterday.