454 steering

Daves Diesel

I,m working on a 454 redid brakes system was full of metal cleaned out housings replaced hyd pump cleaned suction strainer put back together everything works but steering wheel is tight weather running or not. If i go steering block all the way left or right you can hear relief valve open so I put a gauge in the left steering line and turned the wheel  left I have 1800-2000 lbs pressure any ideas i also cleaned priority valve , steering relief and check valve 

Jack the front end up and try the steering to see there is a mechanical issue with the front end.
Is it hard steering in both directions?

See the following post, same as your 454 although if your 454 is a Louisville, KY, USA assembled unit some of the PS maybe different.

If you have a regular double acting hydraulic cylinder and the proper fittings you can disconnect the PS cylinder and connect the double acting cylinder in its place and determine if it is the PS cylinder or the PS hand pump.