Off color injection pump problem

Please don't bash me too hard. I decided to do some straw of my own and got a really good deal on a low hour Deere 6600 with the 404 diesel. It had been sitting for a few years and runs great only problem is the throttle is all hooked up but doesn't do anything to control rpm you have to use the kill knob, I drove it home 25 miles and around the yard that way but I don't want to run it in the field that way. It has a roosa master pump on it. Any thing to check? Thanks in advance 

I worked on a 7700 a little while back that had been sitting for about six years. When it finally started it ran away. The tach was at 2500 when I decided to get out of the cab and just stand back and watch. I don’t know what rpm it went to, but I was bracing for a spectacular failure. Pulling the stop knob did absolutely nothing. It ran that way for maybe two minutes and then just shut down and died. I took the air intake apart so I could block air flow and decided to see if it would restart. It did, but did not run completely away. I worked with it for most of the day and whatever was stuck in the pump finally freed up and now it runs fine. The 7700 uses a Bosch pump. If you drove it 25 miles and it didn’t free anything up, then it is likely not going to. The linkage on these machines is somewhat awkward. If the linkage is actually moving at the pump I would suspect a different pump is in that machines future. Someone like @Injpumpedmay have some better advice. 

5 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I worked on a 7700 a little while back that had been sitting for about six years. When it finally started it ran away. The tach was at 2500 when I decided to get out of the cab and just stand back and watch. I don’t know what rpm it went to, but I was bracing for a spectacular failure. Pulling the stop knob did absolutely nothing. It ran that way for maybe two minutes and then just shut down and died. I took the air intake apart so I could block air flow and decided to see if it would restart. It did, but did not run completely away. I worked with it for most of the day and whatever was stuck in the pump finally freed up and now it runs fine. The 7700 uses a Busch pump. If you drove it 25 miles and it didn’t free anything up, then it is likely not going to. The linkage on these machines is somewhat awkward. If the linkage is actually moving at the pump I would suspect a different pump is in that machines future. Someone like @Injpumpedmay have some better advice. 

The inline pumps have a rack that can get stuck when sitting for awhile. The rack is in full throttle position upon start up and then moves to idle. Thats why when you start a 4440 for example it throttle ups and then idles. The roosa's are the opposite. They can stick in idle position after sitting. I drain the old fuel out of the pump and then pour Stanadyne fuel lubricant in the pump and let it set awhile. Usually works as I don't take them apart.

If it reaches max governed speed and stays there. That is one thing. If it is totally ungoverned the the plastic ring has disintegrated and the pins are cut off of the weight retainer. No snake oil will fix. Metering valve is not stuck.

No flex ring in a DM pump, and that is what would be on the 404 in a 6600, same as a 4230 engine. You need to take top off pump and see what is wrong, and see if it can be cleaned up like cedar says. Otherwise, plan to get it off and have it serviced. When they get sticky, the old fuel can gum up the weights, so that could be the issue. I personally would not run it anymore without servicing it. I see too many come in my door that they miraculously got to run, then it seized the head. Other things are gummed up, transfer pressure regulating piston sticks and lets pressure spike, causing instant seizure. Don't wanna spend much money? Fix it while it still runs. Once they seize, you're buying a head & rotor now too. Driveshaft doesn't break in DM, only DB and DB2. Used heads are getting harder to find, as everyone seems to be seizing them up. New ones are available for some pumps, many being discontinued, but $1400, on top of an already expensive $700-900 rebuild. Choose wisely!

• Like 3