CIH 885 Brake Question

Cdfarabaugh

Had a fellow call me tonight wanting me to fix a brake issue on an 885 that is driving him nuts with needing constant bleeding on both sides   He did all the obvious already with repairing the master cylinder and replacing piston and carrier o rings.  

Now, the wild card in all this was the top cover was pulled for a park brake repair.  There was no gasket on the cover other than sealant and just 3 teflon seal rings.  The dealer sold him a gasket set with a paper gasket and 3 regular o rings.  

I had a thought in the back of my mind there was a serial break and sure enough there is dictating which sealing method to use.  

NOW, the multi thousand dollar question is will that paper gasket being installed on the wrong end of the serial break cause this issue?  This thing has a cab and whether this fellow attacks it himself or chooses me to do it......thats a crappy job and want to make sure im barking up the right tree. 

My gut feeling is yes as the sealing ring depths would be different to accomodate a gasket......but hopefully someone can confirm this. 

Shop notes.........

TRANSMISSIONS IN THE X85 SERIES QUIT USING GASKETS AT TRACTOR SERIAL NUMBER 18001. NOTE; IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NOT TO USE A GASKET ON THE ROCKSHAFT AFTER THIS SERIAL NUMBER BREAK, IT WILL HOLD ROCKSHAFT UP AND THE O-RINGS ON THE BRAKE BLEEDERS WILL NOT SEAL AND BRAKES WILL NOT HOLD

1 hour ago, CIHTECH said:

Shop notes.........

TRANSMISSIONS IN THE X85 SERIES QUIT USING GASKETS AT TRACTOR SERIAL NUMBER 18001. NOTE; IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NOT TO USE A GASKET ON THE ROCKSHAFT AFTER THIS SERIAL NUMBER BREAK, IT WILL HOLD ROCKSHAFT UP AND THE O-RINGS ON THE BRAKE BLEEDERS WILL NOT SEAL AND BRAKES WILL NOT HOLD

Id say that approves my suspicions of what occurred here. Thanks for your help!  Are these notes in the service manual or stuff you leave for yourself? 

I just realized I was dumb and posted this in the coffee shop......was pretty tired last night evidently lol

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Are these notes in the service manual or stuff you leave for yourself?

Years ago I started making them in a note book, finally got them in a folder on my PC desktop. I create a folder per model series and just keep adding to them. Somewhere around 30 years of useless info.

2 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Somewhere around 30 years of useless info

Heck no its not useless!  I along with many others appreciate your contributions.  

I really should start doing the same myself before I age and become more forgetful than I am now......

9 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Years ago I started making them in a note book, finally got them in a folder on my PC desktop. I create a folder per model series and just keep adding to them. Somewhere around 30 years of useless info.

“Little black books” are invaluable for things like cross referencing key numbers to part numbers or that part that is used on a whole series of machines but only shows up in one or two parts books.  I had one book for service bulletins, o ring size/part number charts, etc and another alphabetical book for quick notes like customer’s serial and cell phone numbers.  Like CIHTECH I converted to desktop files and when I retired I put them all on a flash drive for my replacement.

Archived