CASE/IH 485 front axle extension excessive play

The left side front axle extension has way too much play inside the tube on my 485. Is this usually the holes wallowed out in the extension piece or the bolts worn, or both? I know I'll find out when I take it apart, but was just trying to get a head start if someone has experienced this before. The tractor had a loader on it before I got it  and is a 2wd with the straight axle. With the tire off the ground, the bottom of the spindle can swing in an arc of about 2".

Common problem if a loader has been on the tractor. If you are never going to adjust the width of the front axle some owners just weld the outer tube to the inner axle, be sure to have it properly in alignment before welding. 

I just got in from taking the bolts out. It wasn't what I was expecting. The bolt has a shoulder that fits inside the bottom part of the outer tube and contacts the extension directly. The nut  on top is tapered like a lug nut. I like to never got them out. Took a 6' pipe on a breaker bar all the way off. My trusty old 3/4 impact wouldn't touch it. I cleaned them up, oiled the threads and used a torque multiplier to tighten. I'll try it out tomorrow and see if it made a difference. I thought about welding, but if I go that route, I'll probably drive a tapered metal shim in between the extension and tube on the back side and tack that. I'm open to any other comments.  Oh, the only sloppy fit I found was the bolt shoulder in the bottom hole. I'd really like to know if that is supposed to be tight or if it is made that way. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to drill that out and put a bushing there.

From your description it appears to me to be the same as our 464 axle. The bolts are holding the extension ends UP to the center assembly. My first guess is the tapered holes or nuts are worn out.  I would try new nuts and bolts. Welding it together is admitting defeat!! McMaster has some cast steel wedges that could be used to position the axles correctly if you want to weld. 

Our old 464 has no slop between the axle and the extensions BUT was never used with a FEL. The problem we had with it was the center section axle shaft was worn out. I paid over $500 to a machine shop (not associated with any tractor repair facility) to remove the old center tube and rebuild and turn the pivot pin to correct size then  rebore tube  and install stock IH center bushings.  Before the repairs the axle shifted every time the weight was removed from the front end.  We removed the old and replaced the rebuilt front end assembly. That saved  a bundle in labor.

52 minutes ago, oleman said:

From your description it appears to me to be the same as our 464 axle. The bolts are holding the extension ends UP to the center assembly. My first guess is the tapered holes or nuts are worn out. 

Yes, exactly. I'm thinking the nuts were just loose. I used it to move some hay today and the left side that I tightened up did not move. The right side shows some rust around the nuts, so I'm assuming they are loose as well. I'll do them soon.

5 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Yes, exactly. I'm thinking the nuts were just loose. I used it to move some hay today and the left side that I tightened up did not move. The right side shows some rust around the nuts, so I'm assuming they are loose as well. I'll do them soon.

Our SM (section 2-5) calls for axle extension bolts to be torqued to  246 - 272 Ft lbs. Our 250 FT LB automotive wrench works fine .