C251 Corn Planter

53SC

Hey everyone,

I’ve been reading this forum for quite some time but have never posted. I own a 53 Super C that has been in the family since 54. It was beyond shot but have thrown some time and too much money at it to keep it rolling. I use it mainly for deer food plots and occasionally rake some hay with it etc. This past fall I came across a c251 corn planter and had always thought it would be another excuse to use the little tractor if I found one. Well getting it prepped to do some soybean food plots this summer it has decided to start grinding about  10-20 percent of every seed that comes out of it. I swapped it back over to the sweet corn plates and same result. Anyone have any guesses why it would be grinding the seed like that ?

Thanks in advance ! 

Almost sounds like you need a filler ring. What's the number on the plates you are using? Another thought is, your knockers are seized or worn out.

Mike

is there clearance where the seed goes under the knocker holder (or whatever it is called)? Seems to me, pretty limited on places where the seed could be damaged. I use a C-251 for sweet corn every year.

8 hours ago, ny bill o said:

is there clearance where the seed goes under the knocker holder (or whatever it is called)? Seems to me, pretty limited on places where the seed could be damaged. I use a C-251 for sweet corn every year.

Knocker holder?  My wife discourages that unless they are hers.....even hers not much as I get older.?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I have a C-251 and a couple of front mount planters which use the same units but I've never actually planted with them.  So I'm no help.

1 hour ago, IH Forever said:

Knocker holder?  My wife discourages that unless they are hers.....even hers not much as I get older.?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I have a C-251 and a couple of front mount planters which use the same units but I've never actually planted with them.  So I'm no help.

yeah, I could see which way that would head...

Here is a link to the CaseIH parts website illustration for the 256 planter bottoms.  https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/caseih/crop-production-equipment/planting-and-seeding-equipment/mccormick/mccormick-international-planter/complete-machine/corn-and-segmented-beet-seed-planting-equipment-for-combination-hopper/cn/CCAD2348-8FBF-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

Items 1, 6, & 13 all must be free to pivot on their pins and the springs must be good.  Lots of your favorite panther pi$$ and an air hose to clean out the junk may free everything up.  The springs (2064A) still show as available and may be all you need.  Brian

Make sure no spider webs in the boot to cause restrictions, or if it has a hill-drop gate that is functional. Also those little fingers, whatever they’re called, that grade off the excess seed over the cell in the plate, if they are seized , I can see how that would grind seed real easy.

1 minute ago, Binderoid said:

Make sure no spider webs in the boot to cause restrictions, or if it has a hill-drop gate that is functional. Also those little fingers, whatever they’re called, that grade off the excess seed over the cell in the plate, if they are seized , I can see how that would grind seed real easy.

Cut-off pawls they’re called.

Both sides start grinding at the same time? If that were the case I would think it’s more of a set-up problem than machinery malfunction. I can’t see the knocker have anything to do with grinding. Skips is more of a symptom of malfunctioning knocker, cuz if the seed is stuck in the cell it simply passes under the trap door and goes around again. Your post is a little confusing. You switched back to corn plates, from what ? Bean plates?  Successfully plant beans in the past with this setup? I can’t make out from your post if you used this planter before or if it’s your maiden voyage.You shouldn’t need a spacer unless you switched to a thin plate. Sorry to jump all over the place but the thoughts are coming from all directions. But I do know once you get this planter dialed in, you will love it.

And if this is your first planting with this machine, there is a real possibility of the cut-off pawls being stuck, up or down, from years of sitting around waiting for you to rescue it. That would account for both sides malfunctioning.

Ok after the 20th reading, I did see you bought it last fall. But you did say, “it started to...” which led me to believe.... think I’ll shut up now....

Thanks guys. I haven’t made it back over to where I got the planter/tractor sitting to dive into it too much. I made the post hoping with all the intelligent people on this site when I made it back over there I could have somewhere educated to start. 

When ever the guy I bought it off of demonstrated it for me no cracking or grinding. It originally came with some cast iron sweet corn plates (don’t have the number on me) and I’d bought some plastic soybean plates off of Harris ( I think it was ).Pretty confident  I don’t need a filler ring for either.

I will let ya guys know what I find out when I make it back to check it out. 

Thanks 

You guys nailed it. The cut off pawls were locked up tighter than Fort Knox on both sides. Got them soaking hopefully they free up. 

Thanks again everyone