international 4000 swather.

rustred

Nice looking unit. Usually the year is stamped on the serial number tag on all the ones I seen around here. We have a 77 and a 84. I will have to look at the s/n and see how close they are. I think 79 is when they changed them up a bit. What style levers does it have? Looks to me like a pre 79 but levers are a dead giveaway. I don't know the breakdown of years by s/n

Just a short search and I too have a hard time finding the serial number break down. What I did read was the early models used the AMC motor, later used IH. I will look in my 5000 manual and see if it gives me any information. Does yours still have the conditioner?  Up this way most everyone pulled them off as the 4 foot window was too small all that hay to go through without a conditioner, well alone with. I do wish I could get one, just to see how much of a difference there really is

Mark

10 minutes ago, td9inidaho said:

Just a short search and I too have a hard time finding the serial number break down. What I did read was the early models used the AMC motor, later used IH. I will look in my 5000 manual and see if it gives me any information. Does yours still have the conditioner?  Up this way most everyone pulled them off as the 4 foot window was too small all that hay to go through without a conditioner, well alone with. I do wish I could get one, just to see how much of a difference there really is

Mark

We ran ours with the conditioner last year, worked well I think. It was with the 19' header though. Not sure I would want to try with any larger of a swath

3 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

Mark

this one has no crimper , just used for grain. 

We were discussing engines on 4000 swathers on here last year. This is some info I found in the IH 4000 swather manual. Early 4000s used a 232 AMC engine, later ones used a 258 AMC engine, and some used a 225 slant 6 Chrysler industrial engine as well.

4000 swather engines.PNG

4000 swather jeep engines.PNG

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rustred said:

it has a steering wheel. i would never want levers.

I mean the style of drive lever. The older ones have a 90 degree bend toward the operator and a straight slide back and forth. The later ones have a straight up and down lever with notches in the slot. Both have steering wheels. Throttle levers are also a bit different

this one has no points , is that the normal to have electronic ignition in them.? going to pick it up in the morning.  did not even start it yet. as is sale.

3 hours ago, rustred said:

this one has no points , is that the normal to have electronic ignition in them.? going to pick it up in the morning.  did not even start it yet. as is sale.

Only the real early C-232s had point type ignition units.

11 hours ago, rustred said:

Yes they had electronic. Dads pickup unit burnt out on his we were able to get one from Napa but we had some junk amc engines pulled the distributor and swapped it to a points set up.

24 minutes ago, acem said:

Why do so many swathes have gas engines?

I suppose to keep purchase price lower. Back in the late 60s early 70s almost every combine was a gas engine so swathers took a bit to evolve also.

• Like 1

i got it started and loaded and home. next thing is to get off off now, lol without dumping it over board.

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

• Like 1

Very impressive you got that beast loaded. I tried to load mine when I got it, wasn't going to happen with the ramps I had. Sooo, I drove it home one day, even in high speed, they are slllooowww. I did get alot of "salutes" on the highway. 40 miles, took about 4 hours. Nice looking machine. Draper or twin auger head?

Mark

46 minutes ago, td9inidaho said:

Very impressive you got that beast loaded. I tried to load mine when I got it, wasn't going to happen with the ramps I had. Sooo, I drove it home one day, even in high speed, they are slllooowww. I did get alot of "salutes" on the highway. 40 miles, took about 4 hours. Nice looking machine. Draper or twin auger head?

Mark

ya ramps are the pain. this is a grain unit, has 2 canvases. trip was 160 miles one way.

Looks like a fairly clean unit. I don't know if I ever really seen one driven up on to a gooseneck before. Lifted on yep. We always use the transport to move them any distance. Makes sure you push those back wheels in on the trailer before you back up, otherwise it won't be fun lol

Wow, you da man! Getting it on the trailer!

I want to see a video of her coming off the trailer.

Transporting is one of the big things holding me back from buying a hay swather.

Thx-Ace 

14 minutes ago, acem said:

Wow, you da man! Getting it on the trailer!

I want to see a video of her coming off the trailer.

Transporting is one of the big things holding me back from buying a hay swather.

Thx-Ace 

well i just backed it off this evening , had to wait on rain. i jacked the rear wheels up and turned them for reverse. the used creeper slow to get it off. all went good. also thought of taking a video. got a picture anyhow.

IMG_1686.JPG

11 hours ago, mmi said:

what is the purpose/advantage/disadvantage   over mower/discbine?

dont think there is any advantage , other than this would be like self propelled, plus it would need a hay conditioner, or crimper as we call them. mounted on it. these are basically used for grain cutting. with a haybine it is manufactured for cutting hay and does work better. i have an old 489 new holland haybine i use for hay. plus haybine has better reels and can go lower to the ground.

11 hours ago, mmi said:

what is the purpose/advantage/disadvantage   over mower/discbine?

These have an advantage if being used to cut small grains.  The draper head and lack of crimper or conditioner cause a lot less grain loss.  That is the reason my Dad had the Owatonna self propelled windrowers when I was a kid.  The same machine was used to cut alfalfa but also used to windrow oats before combining.

4 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

These have an advantage if being used to cut small grains.  The draper head and lack of crimper or conditioner cause a lot less grain loss.  That is the reason my Dad had the Owatonna self propelled windrowers when I was a kid.  The same machine was used to cut alfalfa but also used to windrow oats before combining.

that is correct, these are a grain machine. you dont cut grain with a haybine. plus these work for hay.