5150 Hydraulics fade with use

Lou

Replaced the hydraulic pump on my 5150 about a year ago because the hydraulics would fade after about an hour of work. Didn't fix the problem! Now it will work about 2 hours before the hydraulics start slowing down and after 4 hours of mowing hay it won't hardly pick up the mower. Any ideas on where to start checking?

Suction screen and filter in good condition? You will need to get some gauges in it, one in top of filter base for charge pressure, and one in bottom of pump. Charge pressure should be around 20-30 psi at 850ish rpms and 50-70 at rated speed. Gauge on bottom of pump should read low pressure stand-by with no function demand, then 2450-2500 with steering held to lock, next dead head a rear remote it should read 300 higher than steering. 

Good luck and let us know what ya find...........

Item 1 is the suction screen.  Remove bolts (item 4) to remove cover (item 2) to access screen.  I just changed the hydraulic oil on a tractor that uses this screen.  The old screen looked like it was possibly vulnerable to failure in the future so I opted to replace it.  It was $43 which I thought was reasonable all things considered, and when I got the new one I discovered it had stainless steel mesh instead of the poly mesh of the old screen.  My recommendation would be to replace the screen if it looks at you cross eyed.