Relaxation time (for a few minutes)

bitty

Finished corn planting last night. Started last week and we planted with up to three planters when we didn't have a breakdown. Had 2" of rain Tuesday night just before evening. Was planting Thursday again. George hauled the fertilizer for us with the 7240 in the homemade nurse tank . Case IH 1200PT 12 row and a pair of 955 six rows one that we bought new in '97 and it was planting 100 acres per row for close to a decade or so. Third picture shows the cable and pipe row markers we have made to hang over the last row planted . One of the pictures of the half link bag I grabbed out of the shop . Must have been nos . Probably 15% of the ground was unharvested rye or wheat that was up to 7' tall 

I told the pastor this morning to not be offended if I fell asleep during the sermon as I had a really long week .

Won't be long a break as many other things to get done

IMG_20210612_184216700.jpg

IMG_20210612_184212928.jpg

IMG_20210606_131138942.jpg

IMG_20210612_200054749.jpg

My acre count 

IMG_20210610_173848809.jpg

IMG_20210610_173846031.jpg

IMG_20210607_161922373.jpg

IMG_20210606_163202459.jpg

IMG_20210608_122130460.jpg

• Like 4

Looks moist… Last picture doesn’t look nice…. I finished up today, most has been in for 3-4 weeks and have some that is foot high. Last place today was wet and then grass was a couple feet high on it so brush hogged it and ran the disk over it a few times to cut up the grass and seemed to be ok. Nice pictures and short video! Thanks for posting. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

That row unit took a HIT!!!

We have broken a few over the years but it was the first time in no-till . Usually it doesn't take much as the top two bolts holding the frog? on the tin part shear off then bad things happen. It was a huge problem in tilled ground with our new planter when it had the stupid unit mounted no-till coulter's on it . This planter we got last year and I wonder what condition those bolts were . If they have ever worked loose they have very little strength yet 

• Like 1

Ours have never done that,  but never ran anything but a trash whips on the front.  Just bought a used 900 12 row vertical fold, so with 12 spare units for our 6 row planter we just grab parts or whole row units for a quick fix.

wow that looks like some beautiful country out there, feast or famon it seems when we are trying to get things done, rush rush rush and work like crazy

im sure the pastor understands with living in your area - its the heart that counts

i tried to get some stuff drilled here for CP23A and was not able to get it into our creek bottoms with early moisture and then ran the disc thru it when it dried up, missed the planting date for my contract, they said just get it in, well a drill was not available for warm season grasses for 2 counties and I have been on the list for over a month. 

Its been HOT/DRY here for rt at 4 wks so I asked them about getting an extension due to the flowers/forbes - that would allow me to plant in late november and let it ride thru winter. 

I hope it all comes up great for you guys and you have good yields - hang in there and get some rest

• Like 1

I should have said a disclaimer that the video with the two 6 rows is in a field we rent and it's a HUGE exception of the rule of how the ground lays ...... It's a 42 acre field that is less than 3% slope average

3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

So do you now spray the rye or did you spray it already?

Only a little bit got pre-sprayed .  I have about half sprayed now. It's rained again and moisture is not lacking at all lately

7 minutes ago, bitty said:

Only a little bit got pre-sprayed .  I have about half sprayed now. It's rained again and moisture is not lacking at all lately

As far as "moisture not lacking " same here. Roughly a month or so ago we were dry. Was kinda scary for early spring and snow this winter was below normal. But now rain,rain rain.My grass hay which goes south for horses mainly is no kidding bout chest high. It pays to put fertilizer on it and spray for weeds for sure.Now just need some of those 90 degree days with a 10,15 mph breeze. Sooner or later we will get them.

But I will never wish the rain away, without it nothing grows,life is bleak, worrisome and stressful. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Ours have never done that,  but never ran anything but a trash whips on the front.  Just bought a used 900 12 row vertical fold, so with 12 spare units for our 6 row planter we just grab parts or whole row units for a quick fix.

We are very rocky ground. The unit mounted no-till coulter's would lift the row right out of the ground at every rock and they were hard on the planter . We have parted out a few planters also. I had sold some units years ago for a guy who made an interplant for his beans . We are getting slightly low on supply for certain items in inventory now

good weekend for finishing. I notilled my last 8 acres of field corn on Sunday, too. I took first cutting round bales off the field Friday and Saturday. First time that field has been corn in about 20 years. Still have a 10 acre seeding and a little sweet corn to plant, plus a bunch of first cutting to round bale.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bitty said:

We are very rocky ground. The unit mounted no-till coulter's would lift the row right out of the ground at every rock and they were hard on the planter . We have parted out a few planters also. I had sold some units years ago for a guy who made an interplant for his beans . We are getting slightly low on supply for certain items in inventory now

Rocks would do it for sure!  Aside from fist sized stuff on some gravel hills we are rock free.....I have to remind myself that's not the case everywhere.   No Till does make a noticeable difference in row unit wear, rocks or not.