Air conditioner clutch question

2 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Yesterday we had overfilled it fighting with a somewhat defective fill tap/valve and I guess slipping clutch . The problem I was chasing was a clutch that appeared to be holding but would turn loose with a squeal at 2000 rpm. It would seem that we fixed that after finding some horrible wiring splices. The rest of that story is I assumed our 70 / 275 readings were causing to much drag for the clutch so son released some { too much }. No longer in the mood for working AC so I am going to sit in the AC for the rest of today . But thanks to everyone I now have a target for pressure ranges [ tomorrow maybe }    112 degrees under that hood this evening before starting the engine

so if i am tracking properly you now have the squealing fixed and can start recharging teh system and see how the pressures come up and the air feels at that point. 

just FYI - you would NOT need the tractor running at 85% throttle/rpm speed to feel the cold air or see the higher pressures that would produce the cooler temps from the system

I am not saying all systems exhibit that performance but 1/3 throttle should be plenty good enough to get reasonable performance out of the vent 

8 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

just FYI - you would NOT need the tractor running at 85% throttle/rpm speed to feel the cold air or see the higher pressures that would produce the cooler temps from the system

That was an accidental discovery when I rev'd it up moving it out of the way. Followed by an " oh well something else wrong "

25 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

so if i am tracking properly you now have the squealing fixed and can start recharging teh system and see how the pressures come up and the air feels at that point.

I can say that after making electric repairs to the clutch feed wire it did not squeal. Fixed ? I hope so. The assumption is the resistance in the poor splices was causing issues.  I plan on getting the gauges back on in a day or so.  Getting to be way too many pressing issues AKA work that should have been done already seems like I stockpile that in case of shortages ?

• Like 1

I run my engine around 1300 rpm when checking the ac system.

The older tractors have a sticker that says don't operate the ac with the engine below 1200 rpm. 

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

Update on the project. Clutch squeal was not resolved so I became the hated parts replacer. Obviously the clutch could not be trusted was the compressor really ok ? Maybe maybe not.

New compressor with clutch and drier replaced. 

Purged and vacuumed added 56 ounces of 134 to what is supposed to be a  64 ounce r12 system. Pressures are 25 and 250 at 1300 rpm. Massey mechanic said that is about right he just completed one yesterday. Still hasn't showed up to assist me { possible he will lose hunting privileges but I doubt it }

64 degrees at evaporator but around 80 at the vents. On this tractor the cab roof is part of the air circulation system . Evaporator at the front with the cab fan at the rear. Am I just fighting the 105 degree roof { it is clouded over again i am sure it was 120 plus earlier judging by the burning hot wrenches I picked up } but I hadn't checked.

Not opposed to learning but old enough I don't care for the hard way.

Just checked the roof temp again 129 on top. Clouded over again while running tractor so it probably dropped to 102 or so that is where it has been when cloudy

After running ac for about 20 minutes roof temp 89

Me thinks some insulation may be in order

It is just good enough to keep the Grim Reaper away

It's hard to get older tractor air conditioners to work well when it's over 100 F, but not impossible. Sometimes it's air leaking, dirty system or just somethings. It can be frustrating.

I've threatened to add a magnetic mounted shade on top of the cab to help.

But honestly back in 2012 it was 117 in the shade (official at local  nws). I could get my best tractors down to 85 degrees, 32+ degrees cooler than outside. That's asking alot. 

Thx-Ace 

• Like 2

Whoops, my bad. It was 115F August 3 2011. That nws measurement in the shade.

I was out working in it. It's difficult to stay hydrated working in that heat. I drank over a gallon of water and still didn't pee....

Thx-Ace 

• Haha 1

When it is that hot I don't think one or two degrees matters. I had heat stroke and passed out cramped and curled up in a ball on the ground 45 years ago and I don't think I have been the same since

Old tractor sure was peeing a stream from the drain when ac was on.

3 hours ago, acem said:

It's hard to get older tractor air conditioners to work well when it's over 100 F, but not impossible. Sometimes it's air leaking, dirty system or just somethings. It can be frustrating.

I've threatened to add a magnetic mounted shade on top of the cab to help.

But honestly back in 2012 it was 117 in the shade (official at local  nws). I could get my best tractors down to 85 degrees, 32+ degrees cooler than outside. That's asking alot. 

Thx-Ace 

I have read before that a normal ac system can generally only cool 30 to 35 degrees below ambient as a rule of thumb. One thing that kills tractor ac is that the ducts are poorly insulated if insulated at all and they are absorbing heat from the sun baked roof. Combined with being in a greenhouse and on top of a hot transmission, it's actually pretty amazing that tractor ac can even achieve that 30 degree difference

7 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Update on the project. Clutch squeal was not resolved so I became the hated parts replacer. Obviously the clutch could not be trusted was the compressor really ok ? Maybe maybe not.

New compressor with clutch and drier replaced. 

Purged and vacuumed added 56 ounces of 134 to what is supposed to be a  64 ounce r12 system. Pressures are 25 and 250 at 1300 rpm. Massey mechanic said that is about right he just completed one yesterday. Still hasn't showed up to assist me { possible he will lose hunting privileges but I doubt it }

64 degrees at evaporator but around 80 at the vents. On this tractor the cab roof is part of the air circulation system . Evaporator at the front with the cab fan at the rear. Am I just fighting the 105 degree roof { it is clouded over again i am sure it was 120 plus earlier judging by the burning hot wrenches I picked up } but I hadn't checked.

Not opposed to learning but old enough I don't care for the hard way.

Have you pulled that evaporator core out and washed it?  

1 hour ago, 885 said:

One thing that kills tractor ac is that the ducts are poorly insulated if insulated at all and they are absorbing heat from the sun baked roof.

Older Landrover wagons had a "tropical roof" option, which was a second roof layer with an air gap

Yes, an air gap is what I am thinking. Something the general shape and size as the cab roof but a little above. Some good magnets would probably hold it on. 

Window curtains or louvers would help. Back in the day I saw alot of jd sound guard cabs with louvers. Never saw any on it tractors though.

Thx-Ace 

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Have you pulled that evaporator core out and washed it?  

We cleaned it in place when the cab was gutted for cleaning. Probably not as good but it is open and looks clean no dust or crud