Tractor of the week # 13 5288

This week the International 5288 is our tractor of choice. I know quite a few of these work horses around the country. I am a little partial to these ole girls as we have one on our farm. I think the 88 series were probably the most refined looking tractors ever made. So let's see some 5288's y'all. Here are some pictures of ours.

KIMG2132.jpg

KIMG2116.jpg

KIMG1886.jpg

KIMG0993.jpg

• Like 14

A few from years ago.............Mowed hay with it the other day, but didn't get any pictures.  Sure wish I would have bought the 5288 MFD that was on the lot with this one, but never was around a 5*88 and wasn't sure if it would be a hit or not, ended up being my favorite or second favorite tractor here.  

Apr61.jpg.0c06264d1978cf7fd12f5dd36b2fcaa8.jpg5288drill.JPG.f2c74f667ac00accb305fd03f761a7a6.JPG

• Like 8

Best looking series of tractor anyone ever built.  I have a 5488 and had a 5088.  Good tractors.  5088 was my spraying tractor and I put a ton of hours on it.  The 5488 was dads favorite and it is a horse.  Everyone likes to run it.  Both of them have Ez-steers in them.  Maybe someday I will get a 5288!

• Like 3

Very few 88 series sold around here back in the day.  I know production numbers are very low due to the era (bad 1980's kicking in) but the bite was especially painful here in the Northeast.  Our nearest dealer did not have one on the lot and the next closest had a 5088 and 5488 MFWD.  The 5488 got sold locally to a vegetable crop farm.  I would imagine that a few got sold in the western part of the state out by Batavia as there are a number of successful farms that did not get hurt so bad during the early 1980's unlike many.  Did not help as the merger came to be that a number of IH dealers in the region here got cancelled in favor of mega-Case (IH).  

we had a 5288 for a while it had the round axle tube unlike our 5488,it was pretty sluggish compared to the 5488. i know i have some pictures of them both somewhere.

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

Very few 88 series sold around here back in the day.  I know production numbers are very low due to the era (bad 1980's kicking in) but the bite was especially painful here in the Northeast.  Our nearest dealer did not have one on the lot and the next closest had a 5088 and 5488 MFWD.  The 5488 got sold locally to a vegetable crop farm.  I would imagine that a few got sold in the western part of the state out by Batavia as there are a number of successful farms that did not get hurt so bad during the early 1980's unlike many.  Did not help as the merger came to be that a number of IH dealers in the region here got cancelled in favor of mega-Case (IH).  

Same here...............Dealer everyone here dealt with had a 5088 they took around as a demo, one here was going to buy it, but it was sold before they told them they wanted it and ended up buying a 3688 as it sounded the dealer was more focused on selling by power level, not by all the extras you got with a 50 vs a 36.  Seemed to be a number of the 36's around here and they were considered a big tractor.  Funny as I didn't know where the 50 went until years later, they ended up having issues with the sentry in it, replaced it and no more trouble.  

And you had people like my old man, couldn't see the engine in any of them so they were "Ugly" and immediately written off vs the previous 86's...........

11 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Same here...............Dealer everyone here dealt with had a 5088 they took around as a demo, one here was going to buy it, but it was sold before they told them they wanted it and ended up buying a 3688 as it sounded the dealer was more focused on selling by power level, not by all the extras you got with a 50 vs a 36.  Seemed to be a number of the 36's around here and they were considered a big tractor.  Funny as I didn't know where the 50 went until years later, they ended up having issues with the sentry in it, replaced it and no more trouble.  

And you had people like my old man, couldn't see the engine in any of them so they were "Ugly" and immediately written off vs the previous 86's...........

Even fewer 3088, 3288, 3488, and 3688 around here.  I've seen only two 3688 in my lifetime that had area dealer stickers on them to know that they were sold here versus being brought in from out west.  Also, it was not like the closest dealer was terrible at selling although they were mixed bag to most.  I was just thinking last Friday as to how many 14X0 combines they sold in their territory even though this was not prime grain country back then.  Also, that those combines also had to endure the tough 1980's from a sales standpoint.  They even sold a 1480 which was kind of big for around here back then.  

3 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Same in my neck of the woods. 2 5088s and a 5488 was all there was. Not a 30 series anywhere. Lots of 66 and 86 series and a few 30 series 2+2s. No 60 series 2+2s. 

When the $--t hit the fan around here in the 80s. A lot of guys had spent good in the 70s. No one had the bank account for any of those tractors at the time. So the 80s era tractors are practically absent. When the money came back. Everyone bought Magnums and Maxxums.  Same with the 80s era Deeres and other brands. 1979 or 80 you'll see but a 50 series Deere? Never unless it was bought used later. You see some 55 and 60 series Deeres from the 90s picked up where the 70s left off

• Like 1

2 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Interesting, I never heard anyone say they were ugly with engine covered. Even the other color guys said they were a classy looking tractor. 

Yes, quite a few were under that same impression of them here...........Like anything else, the 86's were the same yet different enough with the cab they were ok, the big 88's up-ended the conventional wisdom and were different, old schoolers didn't like that................Interesting that the series he didn't like and I heard about how ugly and weird they were, I love, and the one he thought was the show stopper, you couldn't give me as a gift.  Good thing he was incinerated or he would probably roll over in his grave if he knew I had not only a 5288, but a 6588 as well...................Athough I might possibly have earned redemption with the Deere.

27 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Same in my neck of the woods. 2 5088s and a 5488 was all there was. Not a 30 series anywhere. Lots of 66 and 86 series and a few 30 series 2+2s. No 60 series 2+2s. 

When the $--t hit the fan around here in the 80s. A lot of guys had spent good in the 70s. No one had the bank account for any of those tractors at the time. So the 80s era tractors are practically absent. When the money came back. Everyone bought Magnums and Maxxums.  Same with the 80s era Deeres and other brands. 1979 or 80 you'll see but a 50 series Deere? Never unless it was bought used later. You see some 55 and 60 series Deeres from the 90s picked up where the 70s left off

Timing was everything with IH and the 5X88 tractors.  JD got its bad PR out of the way early on in the 1980's with dealer closures.  After JD went through its dealer organization it then released its 50 series tractors.  Farmers had a chance to get any bad blood they had towards JD out of their systems when the 50 series came out.  Without having lived around here back then it is hard to impart how bad the merger between Case and IH was taken by IH guys.  A few IH dealers got cancelled almost immediately after the merger was announced but got their 250,000 dollar severance check (per location) but several got the unofficial cancellation namely greatly increased cost of doing business with CaseIH so that their cost was on par with the selling price of the mega Case dealer.  Back to tractors cancelling the the 5X88 tractors was insult added to injury for those IH farmers.  There were new 50 series JD being sold around here but not many with some formerly diehard IH guys being among them.  As said before some operations were able to weather the hard times fairly well.  With everything else that happened then IH guys found their loyalties being tested to the point where they would not buy a red painted Case.  It took a number of years before things turned for the better for CaseIH around here.

That's one thing I have never mentioned much on here when comparing Deere to IH in the 1970s/80s....their dealer structure/organization around my area. They were about as different as night and day in their approach to it.

With Deere, by the mid/late 1970s, Deere had consolidated their dealers down to where there was generally one dealer per county...usually in the county seat. And the name of just about every Deere dealer was "***** County Equipment", with the name of the county they were in being the dealership name. And that one dealership....was usually a big one.

With IH, on the other hand, if there were 4, 5 or 6 towns in a county there were probably 3 or 4 IH dealerships in that county, and they were smaller dealers that took care of their own back yard and that was it. Simply put, the one big Deere dealer probably sold as much as the smaller IH dealers did combined. I suppose since IH was a company that was deep in tradition, the IH brass didn't want to raise too much fuss by shutting down dealerships...they were probably just hoping dealers would eliminate themselves by natural attrition, whether it be retirements or deaths of dealership owners, selling out to bigger dealers in nearby towns, etc. By the late 1970s, that natural attrition sure seemed to be common here in SD....seems like there were many IH dealers that went out of business from 1975 or so all the way to the merger in late 1984. The merger thinned out a few more, but mainly those that were in towns that had both Case and IH dealers; and there were many Case dealers that lost out on the CaseIH contract around here.

I can remember many IH dealers here in SD that were loaded up on new tractors in 1983-84 time frame. It wasn't uncommon to see what I would call smaller dealers have 2 or 3 new 50 series on the lot, and maybe a new 30 series 2wd or a new 60 series 2+2 right beside them. Unfortunately, nobody was buying anything new at that time. I still would be willing to bet that a majority of 50 series tractors spent their first birthday sitting on a dealer's lot...not in a farmer's yard. 

28 minutes ago, SDman said:

That's one thing I have never mentioned much on here when comparing Deere to IH in the 1970s/80s....their dealer structure/organization around my area. They were about as different as night and day in their approach to it.

With Deere, by the mid/late 1970s, Deere had consolidated their dealers down to where there was generally one dealer per county...usually in the county seat. And the name of just about every Deere dealer was "***** County Equipment", with the name of the county they were in being the dealership name. And that one dealership....was usually a big one.

With IH, on the other hand, if there were 4, 5 or 6 towns in a county there were probably 3 or 4 IH dealerships in that county, and they were smaller dealers that took care of their own back yard and that was it. Simply put, the one big Deere dealer probably sold as much as the smaller IH dealers did combined. I suppose since IH was a company that was deep in tradition, the IH brass didn't want to raise too much fuss by shutting down dealerships...they were probably just hoping dealers would eliminate themselves by natural attrition, whether it be retirements or deaths of dealership owners, selling out to bigger dealers in nearby towns, etc. By the late 1970s, that natural attrition sure seemed to be common here in SD....seems like there were many IH dealers that went out of business from 1975 or so all the way to the merger in late 1984. The merger thinned out a few more, but mainly those that were in towns that had both Case and IH dealers; and there were many Case dealers that lost out on the CaseIH contract around here.

I can remember many IH dealers here in SD that were loaded up on new tractors in 1983-84 time frame. It wasn't uncommon to see what I would call smaller dealers have 2 or 3 new 50 series on the lot, and maybe a new 30 series 2wd or a new 60 series 2+2 right beside them. Unfortunately, nobody was buying anything new at that time. I still would be willing to bet that a majority of 50 series tractors spent their first birthday sitting on a dealer's lot...not in a farmer's yard. 

I'd say that around here the JD and IH dealers were pretty much on par with one another around 1980.  Really no rhyme or reason as to how they were distributed.  Most carried the name of the family that owned them or the town they resided in.  Maybe the reason the IH dealers did not do much out of their own territory was maybe policy by IH.  The nearest IH dealer had fairly hard territory lines that it operated in.  I know this by having been in there for parts at times when things like that were getting talked about.  But there definitely was no hard rule as the IH dealer from 2 counties over was selling in the local's territory.  During 1981-82 JD did the shocker type closures of very popular dealers that got farmers stirred up.  There were closures all throughout the 1980's but that was mostly dealers throwing in the towel as to the very bad business climate.  The key thing in terms of the Case IH merger was how lopsided it was in favor of the regional Case dealer.  I think there was maybe two Case dealer closures compared to almost a dozen IH dealers in the same geographic territory.  This was on top of Case's own purge during the mid-1970's when it all but eliminated their mom and pop dealers.  The hardest thing for many to take when forced to deal with mega Case was the very hard line it took on pricing.  This organization had industrial locations all through out the region at the time of the merger and industrial was doing extremely well with lots of road construction and buildings.  They did not feel the need to dicker over the price of a 55 gallon drum of oil with a farmer.  Their biggest worry as indicated by the people who worked there was when Case would have the next shipment of 580 backhoes, dozers, etc. ready to be shipped.

7 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

Best looking series of tractor anyone ever built.  I have a 5488 and had a 5088.  Good tractors.  5088 was my spraying tractor and I put a ton of hours on it.  The 5488 was dads favorite and it is a horse.  Everyone likes to run it.  Both of them have Ez-steers in them.  Maybe someday I will get a 5288!

I also think they are a nice,sleek looking tractor. I always thought they were cool and would have loved to had a new one off the line but was to young for that.I owned only a 3088,no cab but they came I believe without cabs and always looked incomplete. I been looking for a 50 series but not to hard.Should have bought a 5488 2wd bout 6 years back for $9500 but just didn't. But own the next coolest thing,782 Cub Cadet and it is in storage.

One thing I will never buy is a red Case when they came out,I could have cried. 

The topic of having only one dealer per county is interesting to me. Good or bad, red or green, I think it is lacking on brains period. I have never talked to a farmer who was happy about a dealer closing. Means driving further usually and lack of quick service. Now I am sure some will disagree with me and that is fine, however, more stores sells more products. Farmers don't like to go further for parts or new. I always thought that idea of John Deere doing that was not very bright in the head. The wait list seems much longer at those large dealers too. I'm sure some are really good, but as a whole it is not what farmers want. Just my observations of over 37 years of farming. On to more pictures of the best looking tractors ever built.:D 

Interesting on the more than one dealer a county out west.................Here it was that way(one a county) for the most part for a long time, then it went from one in the county to none.  I suppose in the end it would have happened either way, when the small dairy farms died here, so did most of the business.  It is interesting that my neighbors good buddy is a salesman soon to retire from the local Deere dealer, he said yeah, the $$$$ through the dealer went up, but the territory that store covered grew a huge amount with all the smaller dealers closing or consolidating, so in the end which was better..............You can answer that question.

13 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

The topic of having only one dealer per county is interesting to me. Good or bad, red or green, I think it is lacking on brains period. I have never talked to a farmer who was happy about a dealer closing. Means driving further usually and lack of quick service. Now I am sure some will disagree with me and that is fine, however, more stores sells more products. Farmers don't like to go further for parts or new. I always thought that idea of John Deere doing that was not very bright in the head. The wait list seems much longer at those large dealers too. I'm sure some are really good, but as a whole it is not what farmers want. Just my observations of over 37 years of farming. On to more pictures of the best looking tractors ever built.:D 

Everybody's experience is different but as to a policy of one per county back in the days when IH existed by itself for IH or JD was not the reality here.  I don't think any farmer is in favor of fewer dealers or fewer locations.  Unless a small sparse county most counties here had two dealers for IH or JD.  The big counties might have had three or four with an average drive time of 15 minutes one way to your nearest one.  Now today the policy with all is fewer location with the regional Case IH dealer here recently closing two stores in favor of one to cover both former territories.  

I'd like a 5288 to go with my 5488. Keep the pics coming.

Tractors didn't sell here in the early 80s. Nobody had money. Farmers were going broke and the market was flooded with used equipment. Dad bought a low houred 1066 with custom cab for $3000 that had engine problems. I still have it.

Dad was offered a 5x88 from a local dealer very cheap after the merger. Didn't matter, he didn't have any money and was deep in debt.

Thx-Ace 

the main reasons I bought my 5288 were 1)to get a model from that series to have at least one tractor from every series IHC built, and 2) a cab with air conditioning. The A/C has since left town. Mainly used for chopping, and it planted corn the year the 1456 was laid up. This year, it has the duals on and is hooked to the disk.

100_3413.thumb.JPG.e16810945c471620384e3c6de4f7d710.JPG

IMG_20191009_174540424_HDR.thumb.jpg.eef663a7a1bb97e4009a08207dc8f77b.jpg

1311805491_5288plantingcorn.thumb.jpg.858c617a7da4bf9342e5a4f8856bf285.jpg

• Like 3

My 1983 model. Square front axle like the 5488. Around 8600 hours. Mainly does planting and some tillage work in the fall. It has the 3LM466 Schwitzer turbo on it so a bit loud compared to the 5488 with a TO4. 

KIMG0206.thumb.JPG.78461818650caa7e72d4dcaa901d52bc.JPG108577860_5288ripper.jpg.834bd87c7f1eb240df1abbfc1af76ea0.jpg1633231757_5288806etc002(Medium).jpg.7e2815283a2029307e0a5c6557f384da.jpg1467288052_5288950001(Large).thumb.jpg.6efb3bd5e756360add2d38ff3bf4511d.jpg150404_002.jpg.7934b22d57cd79feeae59aa5230f5985.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, SDman said:

I was the second owner of my 1980 Tri-Stripe 1086. I also got the operator’s manual that came with it. All the paperwork was filled out in the manual. As a 1980 1086, the paperwork in the manual shows that it wasn’t delivered as new until 1983. 

Growing up in the 90s none of the local farmers had an 88 series.  They had 86 series and either skipped until the Magnums or went to another brand.  I think the 88 series are some of the best looking tractors of all time.  They just have that great 80s angular look about them. 

here is the 5288 dad bought at an auction in 07 and had repainted. plowing alfalfa ground spring of 08 i think. he then bought an mx220 and sold the 5288 to a friend, wish i could have bought it but didnt have a use for it or the money. ill have to dig around in the saved pictures on the computer to find more pictures  

IMG_0139.JPG

• Like 2