Please tell me about this H

vtfireman85

I have agreed to get this H up and running. It belongs to my brother’s inlaw’s family. One family tractor, never left the property, SIL’s grandfather remembers going to pick it up new. I believe it’s supposed to be a 44’ looks not to have cast shift knob, appears to have steel cut offs, distillate manifold still intact . Any other information would be great. This will be a fall project 

Front wheels are ten bolt , I wonder how they were fabricated up ....

They jumped out at me too, i hope someone can tell us more. Maybe steel originally as well? 

Just now, nomorejohndeere said:

that rim will buff right out

I hope to save the spokes, replace the rim and “buff” the remaining paint, looks original, should be preserved, not restored. 

19 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

They jumped out at me too, i hope someone can tell us more. Maybe steel originally as well? 

That was my first thought also was a conversion from steel to tire and somehow made it bolt together

I have one of those rears in pretty nice shape....unfortunately it's here, and the tractor is there.....

I don't know what the freight would be, but I bet you can find one closer.

Mike

Finding one with the heat shield still on the distillate manifold is very rare.

Most were taken off and thrown away.

Make sure that stays with the tractor.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, farmall666 said:

BARE BONES TRACTOR. NO LIGHTS   NO BATTERY  NO FENDERS  MAGNETO .

Cousins on my mom's side had a M like that.  It also lacked PTO.  Had a drawbar and belt for doing work.  It was like that for their auction around 20 years ago.  Not sure how much work it did in later years but it ran.  

Whats the serial #? Might be earlier than a 44. Tall oil filter before # 122,xxx. 

37 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Finding one with the heat shield still on the distillate manifold is very rare.

Most were taken off and thrown away.

Make sure that stays with the tractor.

Oh i plan to leave as original as possible, and the owners want it that way too. I assume those are 36” rims? 

No starter!  Hand crank only.  Definitely a budget minded machine. Very cool.  Has the early seat suspension with the "toolbox" underneath.  Trying to determine if it has the gasoline starting tank and the main fuel tank is for distillate fuel.  Not sure.

I am kind of excited about it, got to talk more with the family to figure out exactly what they want, but a preservation project sounds really cool

14 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I hope to save the spokes, replace the rim and “buff” the remaining paint, looks original, should be preserved, not restored. 

Agreed

16 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

If you can't find rims locally available they are available in Leola pa from Wenger wheel systems to reweld to those spokes 

17 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Best part of a Fordson is on it..................

Exactly my thought.

Ron

3 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Okay. I'm curious...

7 hours ago, Ron Cook said:

Exactly my thought.

Ron

Toolbox? 

the rear wheels are what we call war time wheels, most H'S around here sold during WW 2 had those wheels on the rear  and after the war there where converted to rubber

One of the shops here that made potato equipment did a lot of them Farmall H  was the most popular tractor in this area during the war 

our local state prison grew potato's for all the prisons in Maine and they had two H'S with them wheels