Weed Control 70's Style

I have some corn with grass of some type in the end rows that's being a pain to control. I believe it's foxtail of some type. Not woolly cupgrass, that's easy to identify. This is conventional corn.  I put down 2.5 pints Surpass (equivalent generic) before planting. 2 weeks ago used Callisto and Aatrex and a week ago I sprayed it with a full rate of Accent. It doesn't seem to phase it. So I drug out the 53 6 row double leaf spring cultivator and will rip it out next week sometime. I bet it's been close to 7 or 8 years since I had this cultivator on anything. I bought it on a consignment sale maybe 20 years ago for $75. It even has a set of rolling shields for it. 

I have a Wil Rich 6 row as well but I can lift this IH higher off the ground. I have high lift 2 to 3 point arms and the pins are mounted in what used to be prong type fast hitch mounts. Previous owner torched them off. I have a set of the factory mounts but haven't got them installed yet.  

I talked to an agronomist I get chemicals from and he said he's had a lot of complaints this year about chemicals not working because of the hot dry weather. I've seen people cultivating that haven't done it in years. The last good rain we've had here was May 26 with .9". Had .1 yesterday. I don't know what this corn is living on to be honest with every day in the 90's. I planted my first corn May 1 and it's just over knee high. The soybeans are not growing much at all. I had to spray some post today (also conventional) with Flexstar and Firstrate because the weeds were getting taller than the soybeans. Just more stress on the plant. 

I wanted to replace some sweeps on this cultivator a few years ago but was told they have a different angle than anything else and are obsolete. Anyone have more knowledge on that? 

KIMG1404.thumb.JPG.68ea26e4fb11c276364372392974aa81.JPGKIMG1405.thumb.JPG.894f530f8debc89c6b5080ea3244a10a.JPGKIMG1406.thumb.JPG.86426d38fcc3caa58ef2f174f34ab8c5.JPGKIMG1407.thumb.JPG.f2b29b565fbfaddee336f37da752818e.JPG

• Like 11

Not many weeds are resistant to iron!

If the points are worn out and unavailable you could build them back with a welder. Or find out what else they fit and look for a cultivator for parts.

Chemicals don't work the same when hot and dry, especially residuals. I've had around a foot of rain in the past month. They don't work right with that much rain either.

I finally have a planting window this coming week. Mid 90s with high humidity, heat index in the 100s... it will turn from mud to brick. Too wet in the morning. Go home for lunch and it will be too dry whenIcome back...

Thx-Ace 

Been out cultivating to, weed control pretty good but there is a few out there.

59EA8FC2-BF62-4034-A5A2-016B1A9BB387.jpeg

• Like 5

We cultivated some with a 3pt cultivator when I worked in corn research.  5’ long plots with all different varieties in a nursery. It was nerve wracking knowing that you were running over top of millions of dollars. Weird thing was, we planted with auto steer but for side dressing and cultivating the bosses claimed that wasn’t accurate enough and we needed to drive all that manually. That’s what you get with educated idiots.....

• Haha 2

I like cultivating corn.  If dry on the fields with a considerable slope it gives the rain a chance to go down in versus run off.  Also, if a nice crop it is soothing to look at all the corn nice and even.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

We cultivated some with a 3pt cultivator when I worked in corn research.  5’ long plots with all different varieties in a nursery. It was nerve wracking knowing that you were running over top of millions of dollars. Weird thing was, we planted with auto steer but for side dressing and cultivating the bosses claimed that wasn’t accurate enough and we needed to drive all that manually. That’s what you get with educated idiots.....

How long ago was that?  For a time period that was true, seen it myself in a seed corn operation...................Ran early RTK planting but same tractor on a cultivator was not accurate enough to run and do a good job, a good operator was much better, things have come a long way in a short order.

I always liked cultivating..............Would prefer a front mount, but that 3pt on that fast hitch narrow front 806 would be a sweet setup to run!

• Like 1

Cultivated thousands of acres in my days. Never minded when we started, but by the end of the season I strongly disliked that job. I started on a 656 diesel with a four row 38 inch 468. Then a 468 on the 826 as we were farming more we ran two. Then went to six row 30 inch 468's, had three of those. By this time we were farming more yet and weren't keeping up so I put together a 12 row 30 rear mount that I built out of two and flat folded it myself. Really wanted some 85 front mounts, but they were hard to find. We now have 85 front mounts, but hardly use them. More cultivating going on for sure, can tell by the price of cultivators selling as well. What once was iron price now has value again. My Dad always said the cultivator added yield to the corn. We never checked that statement, I think he said it just because cultivating was his favorite job.

44 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

How long ago was that?  For a time period that was true, seen it myself in a seed corn operation...................Ran early RTK planting but same tractor on a cultivator was not accurate enough to run and do a good job, a good operator was much better, things have come a long way in a short order.

Probably 5-6 years ago. The bosses were the type that everything had a cause so there was always someone to blame. We side dressed with a double knife rig and 28% so there were two knives between each row giving you just a few inches of side travel. I probably went over 200K individual plots a year if I had to guess. If you got into 6-8 plots a year they would complain that you couldn’t drive straight. (Still a darn good average) Then, when they wanted the corn cultivated they came to me and wanted me to do it. I asked why they wanted me since I “couldn’t drive straight”. They didn’t like that.... Then I told them maybe they should call on one of their desk jockey superstars that never did anything wrong. (Because they never did anything)

34 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Looking good! Here's my 806 and 53 cultivator. 

20210530_165032.jpg

Always enjoy you pics. Every one like a calendar ????

Used to cultivate a lot back in the 1980s. Dad still used a lister for planting corn so we used a go-devil the first 2 passes(pass #1 you set the discs so they threw dirt away from the small corn plants; pass #2 you set the discs to throw the ridge between the rows into the taller corn to kill the weeds in the row). For the third pass(if time allowed), he had a 4-row IH cultivator from the 1960s; IIRC, it was a model 463? Third pass cultivating was fun...you went as fast as you dared to keep it on the row. 

Neighbor of ours had a 3588 2+2 with an 8RW IH 183 cultivator. One year we were cultivating corn that really was too tall, but it needed some cleaning up as far as the weeds were concerned. We were running it in High 2 with the TA ahead...seemed like it was about 8mph IIRC. Covered a lot of ground that way.

That 2+2 made cultivating easy.....aim the nose and everything must follow directly behind it. Also with the all the weight on the nose of that tractor you didn't have the "tail wagging the dog" effect like most 2wd tractors had when cultivating corn.

• Like 1

We cultivated lots of sunflowers with 2. 8 row 30 inch Dakon cultivators. The Ihc were better units they had cobra shanks the others used s times. Dad made a cultivator out of a beam and jd chisel shanks with sweeps so at times we ran 3

My favorite cultivator is the lilliston rolling cultivator. When set up right with crops planted on a bed it guided itself. I ran in high 2rd most of the time. Below is a picture I found on the net. Thx-Ace 

LillistonAfter.jpg

I’ve got an ih cultivator I believe it’s a 133 I really like the Vibrashank digger‘s on it

FD3F71F6-123E-4791-9334-44A238010196.jpeg

085BEEDC-CFFA-4A18-AFE8-5309713C2870.jpeg

I remember the day I started hating cultivating. Dad sent me off to a 20 acre bean field he hadn't seen for a while. When he finally got concerned and came looking I was about half done.

MORNINGLORY ARRGH

When I had long morning glories I bolted an old planter disk on the guage wheel of each row and ran only one sweep per middle. It was easier to just use my high clear cultivator since it's a single big sweep anyway. Thx-Ace 

2 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

I remember the day I started hating cultivating. Dad sent me off to a 20 acre bean field he hadn't seen for a while. When he finally got concerned and came looking I was about half done.

MORNINGLORY ARRGH

That’s bad.

We would get some in plots and have to go out with hoes to take care of the problem. Normally in 90°+ weather and 8’ tall corn. 

5 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

That’s bad.

We would get some in plots and have to go out with hoes to take care of the problem. Normally in 90°+ weather and 8’ tall corn. 

When I went back it had the disc attachments on. Worked much better and I had already been through the worst of it

21 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I spent a lot of time cultivating on a 706 with a model 63 3 point cultivator.  Those green plants moving under you is mesmerizing!

I remember cultivating tomatoes on a IH140 with a side dresser Two bags of firtilizer on the hood one on seat, the down and back all day long

At night when You close your eyes you could see tomato plants going under you till you fell asleep mesmerizing for sure

• Like 2

I learned to cultivate on a 560 with a 4 row 63 fast hitch cultivator.  Did many acres with that before I moved up to a 1066 and Noble 8 row cultivator.  When I did my internship with Pioneer soybean research I cultivated plots with a JD 2020 and 133 or 153 4 row cultivator.  That wasn't as enjoyable as the 560 I used as a kid, the underslung exhaust on that 2020 would burn my foot after a day of cultivating.

My cultivating started on an open station 4240 with a 4 row Lilliston hilling potatoes.  I thought that I was stepping in high cotton when I got to move up to the 4050 or the other 4240 with a cab and air conditioning.

That open station 4240 was great for laying irrigation pipe and picking rocks by hand, both of which the tractor driver needed to communicate with the ground crew.