What I got to run today

Big Bud guy

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

I've had a few two cylinders and still own a 620. How is it operating a hand clutch with your left hand?

Not too bad.  I have had experience running left hand clutches with my 500s.  Since I am most familiar with JD, I do prefer to have the clutch on the right side with all the other controls.  

50 minutes ago, ray54 said:

That is the right place for it.? All the Cat's, AC's' and IH crawlers had the clutch on the left. But one neighbor, a guy that made his live flying people, he said Cat and AC had the throttle backwards. ? I had never thought about just learned to pull them back harder for a little more. He said IH had it right to give it a push for more go.?

....Ray.....many years gone,I was helping a near neighbour with ''breaking in'   a hill paddock...We where about to harrow the broadcasted grass seed in...and I was operating a Fiat Crawler...with the usual hand clutch...on the usual left hand side,.......BUT....the hand clutch operated "backwards" to the usual IH  and small Cat ones that I was used to

..thus  , pulled it back to release....forward to engage on the  Fiat 50  crawler...

So, in a crisis situation , when the other crawler, a John Deere pulling harrows,  slid down above me, and the harrows hung down even further....in my haste to stop and avoid  the harrows...I ended up running onto them with the Fiat...I guess you had to be there.....but every instinct  I had....(never had enough   really ...!!!)  kept that hand clutch forward...in the heat of the moment......instead of pulling it back......The  cockie that I was "helping "  gave me some more" heated moments" also

I agree re the throttle   set up on the IH   also....and once or twice I have "killed" the old D6B...when in fact more HP was required....just so used to the International  way

Mike

Mike now that you bring it up I have driven a Fiat crawler with New Holland name all over it but was still red/brown color. No idea where or which way the clutch went. But just had to keep it straight to not run over any grape vines. To soft to hold a wheeled tractor, but the tracks stay up on top the muck down under. I believe I had the crises moment as a kid when first running the Popping Johnny . But don't remember any damage to anything.

• Like 1

There is no shift as dumb as a 4020 synchro. I can drive them fine, but they really are dumb IMO. First time my younger son got on the neighbors he said this is the dumbest shift I have ever seen. And he is referred to by people who know him as the guy that can drive anything with wheels and most things that don't. His siblings say he would have a plane in the air in five minutes if you gave him a chance. i like the old Case tractors out in their natural habitat, they look good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

There is no shift as dumb as a 4020 synchro. I can drive them fine, but they really are dumb IMO. First time my younger son got on the neighbors he said this is the dumbest shift I have ever seen. And he is referred to by people who know him as the guy that can drive anything with wheels and most things that don't. His siblings say he would have a plane in the air in five minutes if you gave him a chance. i like the old Case tractors out in their natural habitat, they look good.

I do like the fact that they have a mid range forward gear opposite a reverse on both "H" patterns. 

20 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Case 6 speed 930 Comfort King.  One of our leases is a small farm from a neighbor that moved away 30 years ago.  He died last year and so his daughter has taken over.  She called us up to see if we could plow the shelter belts something her father always did with this 930 and IH plow.  I was thinking about doing it anyway so this morning I was able to get the 930 fired up.  Ran good after warming up.  The 2nd picture is to show the gear shift lever and pattern.  There is suppose to be a pointer in the lower shift quadrant showing you what gear you are in.  This one is gone obviously.  So anybody that bitches about the mystery shift on a JD doesn’t have a clue on what mystery shift is unless you run into one of these.  Tractor was parked in a shed with the nose right up on the wall so it took me a few minutes to find reverse and not run not the wall.  

9B8D679E-0426-4D20-A729-9403505F4730.jpeg

CE92564E-CD3F-4BE3-997A-52F632C4355F.jpeg

What a beautiful survivor!  I have always liked that color combination. 

Case 6 speed 930 Comfort King.  One of our leases is a small farm from a neighbor that moved away 30 years ago.  He died last year and so his daughter has taken over.  She called us up to see if we could plow the shelter belts something her father always did with this 930 and IH plow.  I was thinking about doing it anyway so this morning I was able to get the 930 fired up.  Ran good after warming up.  The 2nd picture is to show the gear shift lever and pattern.  There is suppose to be a pointer in the lower shift quadrant showing you what gear you are in.  This one is gone obviously.  So anybody that bitches about the mystery shift on a JD doesn’t have a clue on what mystery shift is unless you run into one of these.  Tractor was parked in a shed with the nose right up on the wall so it took me a few minutes to find reverse and not run not the wall.  

Big Bud, thank you for starting this thread,it brings back so many memories. Dad replaced his WD9 with a new styled 900 6 speed then he added a 600 that I still have in the Quonset ,it needs at least one head. I hope I live long enough to fix it.

The 900 was sold when he bought a 1206.

The old Case energy cell engines....always sounded like somebody was holding an ether can to the air intake all the time with the constant pinging noise those engines made.

Years ago a guy brought one of those to the shop with a loud knocking noise...sure sounded like a rod bearing/crankshaft knocking noise. What had happened was that one of the energy cells(the large nut-looking things on the RH side of the cylinder heads) had backed out a couple turns. Every time that cylinder fired, that energy cell would rock back & forth in its bore, making a loud knocking noise. Simple, cheap fix for the guy.

21 hours ago, ray54 said:

That is the right place for it.? All the Cat's, AC's' and IH crawlers had the clutch on the left. But one neighbor, a guy that made his live flying people, he said Cat and AC had the throttle backwards. ? I had never thought about just learned to pull them back harder for a little more. He said IH had it right to give it a push for more go.?

But I baled a lot of hay with JD A so I knew where that clutch was too. I still miss the hand clutch on my baling tractor to easy into a broken bale or pile in the windrow.

Good to know Oliver used that double H on more than just the 55 I was around. My uncle had loader on one. I did not run it enough to ever remember it. Was the odd gears forward or was it low ranger and high range? Gone to scrape so I don't need to know. Oh well the shifter was warn out he even got it locked in 2 gears his last years. He all tools handy on it, only took a minute for him to free it up.

That hand clutch has me thinking I need to check out a Case if I see one at a show someday.

That double H Oliver design went well into the early 80s on white tractors

1 hour ago, SDman said:

The old Case energy cell engines....always sounded like somebody was holding an ether can to the air intake all the time with the constant pinging noise those engines made.

Years ago a guy brought one of those to the shop with a loud knocking noise...sure sounded like a rod bearing/crankshaft knocking noise. What had happened was that one of the energy cells(the large nut-looking things on the RH side of the cylinder heads) had backed out a couple turns. Every time that cylinder fired, that energy cell would rock back & forth in its bore, making a loud knocking noise. Simple, cheap fix for the guy.

Dad had a 900 that did same thing years ago.

1 hour ago, SDman said:

Simple, cheap fix for the guy.

That describes the whole tractor which is probably why around here they didn’t give up an inch to JD and IH sales wise.