Jump to content

What I got to run today


Big Bud guy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Case 6 speed 930 Comfort King.  One of our leases is a small farm from a neighbor that moved away 30 years ago.  He died last year and so his daughter has taken over.  She called us up to see if we could plow the shelter belts something her father always did with this 930 and IH plow.  I was thinking about doing it anyway so this morning I was able to get the 930 fired up.  Ran good after warming up.  The 2nd picture is to show the gear shift lever and pattern.  There is suppose to be a pointer in the lower shift quadrant showing you what gear you are in.  This one is gone obviously.  So anybody that bitches about the mystery shift on a JD doesn’t have a clue on what mystery shift is unless you run into one of these.  Tractor was parked in a shed with the nose right up on the wall so it took me a few minutes to find reverse and not run not the wall.  

9B8D679E-0426-4D20-A729-9403505F4730.jpeg

CE92564E-CD3F-4BE3-997A-52F632C4355F.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OR as J.D.HUMM called them, the DISCOMFORT KING.  I narrowly missed having to spend lots and lots of hours on a 930,  but the following Saturday ran the Money Pit 4010 home.

   I remember it was a L-O-N-G ways to the ground sitting on that 930.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4th might be fun to find also. I have never run a 6speed. My DC is 4, SC is a different 4, 800 has a single stick 8 speed. 830 is 2 range 4 speed.

 I assume it’s a hand clutch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, acem said:

What's a shelter belt?

Tree row planted for a wind break 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I assume it’s a hand clutch?

Yep.  At least that worked similar to a  2 cylinder.  It was just on the wrong side.  My Case 500s use a 4 speed similar to this 930 so I was familiar with how they worked.  Still when I took off I was in third when I thought I was in 2nd.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Had a comfort king too that was 8 speed

5CD3EBBE-073D-4BBA-8D8B-37CE0F7FD1FE.jpeg

I didn’t even know Case made an 8 speed 930 until the internet came along.  They are all 6 speeds out here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Ours 6 speed wasn’t a comfort king 

I’ve only seen one of those around here.  I do have a neighbor with a CK orange fender 930.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

Case 6 speed 930 Comfort King.  One of our leases is a small farm from a neighbor that moved away 30 years ago.  He died last year and so his daughter has taken over.  She called us up to see if we could plow the shelter belts something her father always did with this 930 and IH plow.  I was thinking about doing it anyway so this morning I was able to get the 930 fired up.  Ran good after warming up.  The 2nd picture is to show the gear shift lever and pattern.  There is suppose to be a pointer in the lower shift quadrant showing you what gear you are in.  This one is gone obviously.  So anybody that bitches about the mystery shift on a JD doesn’t have a clue on what mystery shift is unless you run into one of these.  Tractor was parked in a shed with the nose right up on the wall so it took me a few minutes to find reverse and not run not the wall.  

9B8D679E-0426-4D20-A729-9403505F4730.jpeg

CE92564E-CD3F-4BE3-997A-52F632C4355F.jpeg

Can you shed some light on how to shift that?

I have driven a bunch of older stuff. Worst to find the correct gear for me was a Massey 44 that was missing the shift pattern decal.  The Oliver's (1650?) with the double H take some time to get used to also.

This looks way harder than either of those.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My father in law has an early 930 with that same shifter pointer and a hand clutch.  I ran it on a wagon one fall.  It had plenty of power but was not a very user friendly tractor. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

dad had a CK 730 with 4 speed and a High /Low range. Spent a lot of time on that tractor. As for the Oliver 88 that he had with the double H , After you got used to the pattern all was a piece of cake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Can you shed some light on how to shift that?

I have driven a bunch of older stuff. Worst to find the correct gear for me was a Massey 44 that was missing the shift pattern decal.  The Oliver's (1650?) with the double H take some time to get used to also.

This looks way harder than either of those.

Well I’ll try.  It’s like a JD R through 830 if you have ever run one of those.  Picture this to start with.  The transmission in 6 speed 930s are in cross ways like a horizontal JD 2 cylinder.  You push the lever forward or backwards to get line up on whatever gear you want and then push the lever left/right to go into the gear.  Works kinda like a joystick.  On the pre comfort king 930 and older tractors going back to the 500, the shift lever is in the shift bracket so it was easy to find gears.  This one would be easy too if the pointer was there. If someone else can explain better go ahead.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you guys talk hand clutch are you talking a hand lever or a clutch lever like a motorcycle, couldn’t you rig something to replace the gear indicator?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

When you guys talk hand clutch are you talking a hand lever or a clutch lever like a motorcycle, couldn’t you rig something to replace the gear indicator?

Talking hand clutch just like a 2 cylinder.  It’s the lever to the far right.

AD79382C-4AAF-45C6-9169-FC849EA6597F.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Talking hand clutch just like a 2 cylinder.  It’s the lever to the far right.

AD79382C-4AAF-45C6-9169-FC849EA6597F.jpeg

Boy my hats off to you guys and some of the convoluted mechanics you deal with on your equipment, thanx for the pics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Talking hand clutch just like a 2 cylinder.  It’s the lever to the far right.

I've had a few two cylinders and still own a 620. How is it operating a hand clutch with your left hand?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I've had a few two cylinders and still own a 620. How is it operating a hand clutch with your left hand?

Case had the clutch on both sides, depending upon years, in both the SC and DC. Guess I don’t remember having anymore issues with it on the left versus right. Thing I always remember was you “unsnapped” the clutch before you got into a tight spot. Case never had decent brakes. Used the clutch brake on the hand clutch to slow down. 
The first tractor I drove was a hand clutch SC Case. I know I wasn’t in school yet, and I couldn’t snap the clutch either direction. The old Cases had an oil bath clutch and you could slip them quite a bit without damage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I've had a few two cylinders and still own a 620. How is it operating a hand clutch with your left hand?

That is the right place for it.? All the Cat's, AC's' and IH crawlers had the clutch on the left. But one neighbor, a guy that made his live flying people, he said Cat and AC had the throttle backwards. ? I had never thought about just learned to pull them back harder for a little more. He said IH had it right to give it a push for more go.?

 

But I baled a lot of hay with JD A so I knew where that clutch was too. I still miss the hand clutch on my baling tractor to easy into a broken bale or pile in the windrow.

 

 

Good to know Oliver used that double H on more than just the 55 I was around. My uncle had loader on one. I did not run it enough to ever remember it. Was the odd gears forward or was it low ranger and high range? Gone to scrape so I don't need to know. Oh well the shifter was warn out he even got it locked in 2 gears his last years. He all tools handy on it, only took a minute for him to free it up.

 

That hand clutch has me thinking I need to check out a Case if I see one at a show someday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...