Deal or no deal

zleinenbach

If given the idea of having a BS 1066 with no family attachment, and a 5220 maxxum loader, and you really don’t NEED either one, but have plans of hobby farming in sooner than later future, would you sell both and get a Mx series or something else? 
having serious thoughts of selling those two tractors and getting a tracked skid steer or a mx100-120.

are they on same playing field as 5220?

i am torn both ways because I really like those other two, but also need to watch bottom line.

I'm no help, once I acquire things I like, they become loved members of the family, especially red tractors! My brother has no problems with buying/selling stuff. He has a  photo scrapbook of over 200 cars he's bought/sold over his lifetime, just as an individual, not a dealer.

• Like 1

Up to you but I would consider the condition of the two you have vs the condition of what you might get. Consider what you feel comfortable working on. Newer anything will undoubtably be tougher to work on (would be for me anyhow) and may be more or less expensive depending on what it is.  Used equipment is fairly high right now so yours should sell well but it’s also going to cost more to buy right now. I was told that used skid steers are hard to find now also but that may not be true. Just my opinions though

We have had a mx110 and 115, and five 10 and 1466’s. We consider the current 115 4wd loader tractor more of a big lawnmower than a farm tractor.  It’s about 1/2 the hp of a 66 (I know it’s not really,but it feels like it is) and the mx burns 2x as much fuel.  Sure is comfortable though.

I think your 5220 looks comfortable. And the 1066 is cool. 

Lot of factors to consider. The condition of the tractors you have now for one. The anticipated scope of your future operation for another. Also as somebody said right now whatever you buy will probably be high and you don't know what you might get into with any used equipment as far as problems. I in no way would want to be without at least 1 tractor. Skid loaders are nice but won't do everything. I prefer a tractor for most things. 

Personally if both tractors you have are in reasonably good shape and paid for I would stick with what you have. Newer stuff equals more sensors and wires to go bad. A 1066 is all mechanical and more dependable in the long run imo if in reasonably good shape. Maybe later let one or the other go and get a skid loader then if you really need one?

• Like 1

We had 3 tractors running in the same field the other day.  One raking, one baling, and one moving bales.

Point being 2 tractors are better then one.  A tracked skid steer is a whole different animal and is an incredible tool to have in the shed.

• Like 3

MX maxxum is slightly more reliable than the 5xx series, 66 is way more reliable than either of them . 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

multiple tractors is a HUGE deal to me

16 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

We had 3 tractors running in the same field the other day.  One raking, one baling, and one moving bales.

Point being 2 tractors are better then one.  A tracked skid steer is a whole different animal and is an incredible tool to have in the shed.

reliability is HUGE to me too

15 minutes ago, bitty said:

MX maxxum is slightly more reliable than the 5xx series, 66 is way more reliable than either of them . 

comfort is also important for me when spending long days in the tractor - my 5088 gets the nod 90% of the time iwth air ride and better cab than my other tractor 

I am not a fan of the MX series. I think they feel like standing on their heads when doing loader work. 
My brother has both a MX115 and a 90 horse power Kioti. The orange tractor gets the nod 90% of the time, for loader work. Haying, which ever tractor is closer. 

I would keep the 10. Thats why im no help. IH tractors are like crack to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think I’ll keep them.

last time I sold a scout I was sore for years, now can’t find “a nicer one”

instead of jostling around equipment I think I’ll try patience and wait a bit

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

I think I’ll keep them.

last time I sold a scout I was sore for years, now can’t find “a nicer one”

instead of jostling around equipment I think I’ll try patience and wait a bit

Look at the assembly lines backed up or shutdown because of electrical parts, sensors, etc. 

I’m thinking that’s deterrent enough to keep it simple…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Any excuse to get a CTL is all the excuse you need . 

They are so dang handy and attachments for everything