Repurposing a Shed - Sandblasting/Painting

KWRB

I have been given a shed that's about 50' x 12'. Rather than just fill it with junk, which I could easily do, I am thinking about repurposing it to do some of the work I farm out in restoration.

I am thinking about turning it into a sandblasting build or a paint building; I'm leaning towards sandblasting. I currently pay someone else to do sandblasting. I have a cabinet for small stuff but so many things don't fit. THose little sand tanks for use outside are for me mostly just something to trip over. If I do it, I want it to do everything I need, do it well, and preferably save the media.

Has anyone ever done this, and do you have any sage advice or lessons learned? I am especially interested in seeing pictures of the air/media setup.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I have been given a shed that's about 50' x 12'. Rather than just fill it with junk, which I could easily do, I am thinking about repurposing it to do some of the work I farm out in restoration.

I am thinking about turning it into a sandblasting build or a paint building; I'm leaning towards sandblasting. I currently pay someone else to do sandblasting. I have a cabinet for small stuff but so many things don't fit. THose little sand tanks for use outside are for me mostly just something to trip over. If I do it, I want it to do everything I need, do it well, and preferably save the media.

Has anyone ever done this, and do you have any sage advice or lessons learned? I am especially interested in seeing pictures of the air/media setup.

Thanks!

Perhaps with good screening practices you could get reused media to work but i have had real frustrations with crap in media and poor quality media, furthermore anything and everything in a building used for sand blasting will be filled with that crap. No way I would blast inside, take it outdoors, better for you, better for your equipment, less unpleasant, imagine being inside a blast cabinet… about what it would be like. 

I will add i have a holmac sand blaster, and a 22ish cfm 5 hp air compressor @90psi works well but you have to be careful to meter how much sand is going in and to shut sand flow off and let hose clear before letting go of the nozzle. Dry air is important. I have seperators at the compressor and at the blaster, i can get close to 200 lbs in mine. 

I have a good chance to get used red garnet that has been shot once we reshoot it over and over as it gets finer it dose a nice job.

We do it in a building with a air reclamer and bag house A must to keep the air clean so you can see what you are doing

A buddy of mine uses Steel shot you can shoot it over and over with little dust 

Mark is correct you will have to filter the dust back from the air or you won't be able to see in short order. I sandblasted a few 16-46 wheels in the bay of the commodity building open on one side and that got hard to see in within 10-15 minutes

Three words to heed while blasting.

Supplied air respirator.

It' s amazing how little things (like being able to breathe) make life worthwhile.

• Like 2

Do you have any business’s that blast gravestones? That would be a great place to visit and get some ideas from. 
Maybe even a way to recycle the blasting media?

One more thought, instead of dry media, could you water/soda blast? 

......fine, crushed  recyled glass    seems to be popular  with several 'sand blasting ''outfits    down here......

....comes in all colours, as well   !!

Mike

13 minutes ago, mike newman said:

......fine, crushed  recyled glass    seems to be popular  with several 'sand blasting ''outfits    down here......

....comes in all colours, as well   !!

Mike

Rainbow blasting! I can see it now! ?

To blast inside and reclaim the media you need a metal or concrete floor. Metal works best as you can seriously degrade a concrete floor if you blast with the hose pointed downward. At my former employers, we had a skid steer with a street sweeping attachment, a bin in the ground with a bucket elevator to lift the media to a cyclone filter and another tripod mounted bin to reload the pressure tank. We also used steel shot.

Years back I built a temporary blasting booth.

I had a 10 by 10 metal fence panel dog cage that I lined with tarps and I used wood shipping pallets for the floor , tarp was also under the pallets.

The cage was left open on one side for access.

This worked fairly well for containment of blast media.

I didn't have any neighbors complain about dust , due to the timing of my blasting coinciding with the farmer across the street disking.